Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear all,

At low speeds the speedometer needle is dancing back and forth rapidly. It still does it at higher speeds but not as big jumps. Any repair suggestions/solutions? All the gauges are the original '71 GTV1750 ones.

Many thanks.

Blair

·
Registered
7,166 Posts
Mine does similar at low speeds. While I could pull out the cable and lube, I think the best repair is a complete speedo cable replacement. It has to be disconnected from the speedo to pull the cable out so if I'm going thru that effort, I might as well put a new one in (cable and case).

·
Registered
7,166 Posts
I could be wrong:( but I think when these things start to go, they've more or less are ending their lifespan. I put a new speedo cable (including case) in another vehicle. It came with a :rolleyes:specific lube to use and instructions were to lube but to lube sparingly and not to get any lube on the ends - the squared portion. I think when you start squrting grease up there and if you live (and drive) the car in a cold winter climate, the grease is going to thicken up and you'll be in more trouble than when you started. IMO they should make these things so you can take the cable (only) out of the case from the trans instead of from the speedo. You could then pull the cable out, clean it and relube it properly. I once thought you used graphite to lube the cable and was actually quite surprised when I got the other cable and it contained a "lube." And I agree, it's probably a ***** job.

Attachments

·
Registered
15 Posts
I faced the same problem a few months ago. I replaced the old speedometer cable with an original new one but the problem was still there. So i decided to dig deeper and search for the cause inside the speedometer. What I've found inside the speedometer's gears was old grease with dirt that through the years has turned to mud.

What you should do if you face the problem again after the cable's replacement, is to clean carefully the speedometer gears with oil based lubricant cleaners again and again and again until there will be no mud inside them.

Good luck! :)

P.S.: Never used grease to lubricate the gears. ;)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts