Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just pulled the steering wheel on my 71 GTV, and when the steering wheel came off, I bumped the turn signal lever, and then the indexing key on the column came flying out. I have the key, but I cannot figure out how to put it back in. The slot that the key goes in is partially covered by a spring-loaded sleeve. It seems like if I pull that sleeve back in order to get the key back in the slot, the spring loaded sleeve will just push it back out.
Has this happened to anyone else? Can anyone provide some insight?
HELP!!
Does anyone have an exploded view of this assembly?

Thanks.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Sounds like the keyslot has been flogged out a bit. The woodruff key should be a push fit into the column. You should have to tap it into place with a small hammer and it would normally stay there.

It all depends on how much the key and slot have been flogged out (you may want to investigate why this has happened too... the key should only locate and NOT provide the drive). I would use a centre punch and hammer and close in the edges of the slot so that the key is held in place on the column and not get pushed off by the sleeve and spring.

·
Premium Member
71 Berlina 74 GTV 17 Giulia Q4
6,637 Posts
If you get the key in it shouldn't be pushed back out, just push back on the sleeve when putting the key back in so there is no interference from the sleeve then let it loose and contact the key, it should stay in.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts