Alfa Romeo Forums banner

61 - 80 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
Hey yeah Bob, you're right...almost a car again. I think it would be seasonally appropriate with the green/red color theme, if it landed home around Christmas. One can hope, and really, it shouldn't be too much longer. I feel lucky to get all this work done so nicely. The paint and body end is getting increasingly difficult...people who do good work are going out of business or converting strictly to insurance work. Thanks for your encouragement.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
Several members of our family have December B-days so we do a collective celebration on a date that we all have open. So last weekend we got together and my adult children gifted me a new steering wheel and shift knob for the car. Mike, my middle son, organized it and ordered them from Centerline.

Attachments

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
Subtle is better.
I put that sticker on just before my last track event, where my crank bearings gave out, so THAT sticker is coming off!

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
The car is at the upholstery shop again. The last visit was for a new headliner before the windows and dash went back in, this time for carpet. Right now a dense felt padding is going in before the carpeting. Also, the leather shift and brake boots are in.
alfa148jpg.jpg

alfa149.jpg

alfa150.jpg

For the return drive to the shop they had to switch back the "old" brake reservoirs as the new ones were defective. Apparently ALL the brake reservoirs the supplier had came with the same defect...so we have another wait for that.The new wiper motorwith rebuilt wiper drive have bas installed.

alfa147.jpg

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
Other shots here show sound deadening in the doors (they certainly sound more solid upon closing).

alfa143.jpg

Maybe (?) you can detect the oil cooler situated between the heart and the radiator.
alfa145.jpg

And another look at the new dash.

alfa151.jpg

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #69
"And now for something completely different..." -Monty Python

A Saab Story

What to do while your Alfa's out? After saying farewell to the GTV one of the things I been using the garage for is wood working. I've done an end table, a computer desk, a gun rack for my .45-70 Sharps and two toy cars...a GTV for my grandson, and now a 900 Saab for my brother in law's upcoming B-Day.

The "Bear Proof Saab", his 900, took a lot of nephews on Yosemite backpacking trips. After 1 week in the back country he returned to the parking area with two of my sons in tow. Nearly all the cars in the lot had doors or trunks peeled back by bears foraging for easy takings. Not the "Bear Proof Saab". there were claw marks near the doors and hatch showing efforts, but no success.

A Fork in the Road... the fork and R&T are there for scale. I still have some finish work to do, but I'm 95% there.

Saab Story 2.jpg

Saab Story 1.jpg

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #72
Today I got to view the upholstery work. I like what he's done, so the car should go back to the shop for some final assembly today or tomorrow. Then one more short trip to the paint/body guys to receive the trunk lid and engine lid. I'm hoping to be driving it in the next week to 10 days...

alfa161.jpg

alfa157.jpg

alfa153.jpg

alfa155.jpg

alfa151.jpg

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #73
Today was super rainy for Southern California. I drove down to the shop to deliver my passenger seat, the new steering wheel and the shift knob I got for Christmas, as well as my windshield wipers.

New progress shows the daily driver seat installed, a new radiator overflow tank and the passenger side door panel almost completed.

This may be the last entry before I pick the completed car up next week...unless it's still raining. I took home the racing seat and old windshield.

alfa162.jpg

alfa163.jpg

alfa164.jpg

alfa165.jpg

alfa166.jpg

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #74
I didn't go to the shop today, but I did receive photos from Anthony of the car without the spoiler and then mocked up with the spoiler. I'm going with the spoiler. They've now fitted the engine and trunk hoods, and there are tow eyes installed at both ends.

alfa168.jpg

alfa167.jpg

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #75
Home at last! More to come.

alfa169.jpg

alfa170.jpg

The car is so awesome. The shop did way more then I ever expected. Santo and Anthony Thank you so much!

·
Registered
831 Posts
Andy, I missed seeing you and your new-old car at Willow Springs. Mike said you drove out as part of your break-in run. Glad to hear it's finished and driving now.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #77
Sorry I missed you at Willow Springs Bob. How'd you guys do? I was putting varied rev miles on the car and I was interested in getting back on the road before Sunday traffic loaded up and while I still had good daylight. Here's some pics of the car at home. I have to get those race tires off that it was delivered to the shop with. I think I'll get the street wheels back on today.

Attachments

·
Registered
831 Posts
So glad your GTV is on the road again Andy. Anthony and his crew do such good work and your car looks so nice now.

Dad is doing well. This was his first track event since he fell off his bicycle six months ago and broke his hip. My brother and I went along as support. Good news is that we didn't have to do much and could just relax and watch the races. Dad finished second in class.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #79
I did not get the wheels switched out as intended yesterday, but I did get more break in miles on the engine. Just north of 300 now. I revisited the shop so I could get a picture of Santo, Anthony and Hugo.

alfa177.jpg

Then I went 1/2 a block south so Juan could pose with his paint job before I go and screw it up.

alfa175.jpg

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #80
Back on page 5 I had a story about my brother in law's "Bear Proof" SAAB. I finished the project finally, and before his birthday.

saab9.jpg

saab8.jpg

saab7.jpg

saab6.jpg

The famous (only in our family) bear claw marks.

saab5.jpg

61 - 80 of 94 Posts