Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
962 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
AlfaBB Team:

I've been dark for 18 months or so while the body shop was welding in patches and replacing the trunk floor and rear panel. Some of you will remember the 2 years I spent welding in patches around the upper dash, rear windows and all the way around the nose. I finally gave up and let the professionals go to work because I figured I would never finish!

The sins of the fellow I bought the car from (be careful when dealing with a certain Alfa restorer in Oregon) who did the color change to red and screwed up the paint, along with up to about 3/8" of bondo in lots of places, and worse, have now all been corrected. I didn't need to pull the engine and in the hopes of getting this project done more quickly I opted not to do the engine bay, which of course I now wish I had since we are 1 1/2 years down the road anyway. But that is easily fixed when I or the next owner needs to go there.

We just brought the car home and except for the engine bay, it has now been completely brought back to its original color. South Coast here in Orange County, CA did a great job and nailed the color match. I've seen a few cars which were supposed to be French Blue and feel that Max and his team really got the color right as compared to various protected interior components. I wanted to stay with single stage and am very happy with the result.

Now I figure I've got 2+ years of interior restoration and re-assembly, including a dash repair, but the first step will be to get the tank installed and get it running again so I can make sure the engine is still good and keep the fluids refreshed on a regular basis.

Attachments

·
Registered
995 Posts
Maybe it’s just me. Is the engine compartment still red?

·
Premium Member
962 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes it is. I had no reason to pull the engine and based on the shop's original estimate of 4 months I decided to leave it in place for now. Had I known it would be 18 months then I would have stripped it and taken the opportunity to clean up and reseal the engine. Best laid plans and all that.

The previous fellow did such a lousy job of the red in the engine bay that if I wanted to I'm sure I could chemically remove most of the red with the engine in place. And if I end up pulling the engine down the road then I'll strip the bay and have them paint it at that time. My goal was and remains a nice driver but had to spend a lot of time and money on rust repair which was more urgent than cosmetics in the engine bay. Now I am focused on getting what I have taken apart cleaned up and re-assembled so I can get back on the road. I already have hundreds of pics as I've moved through jobs and will continue to document as I go.

·
Registered
250 Posts
The interior, glass and hardware including bumpers and associated parts must weigh a lot considering how high the car currently stands.
Tim

·
Premium Member
962 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ride height was good before...new stock springs...so I guess you must be right!

On the engine bay color...I can't wait another x months so it will have to wait.

Thanks all for your comments!!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
12,114 Posts
Maybe it’s just me. Is the engine compartment still red?
How did you determine this amazing fact from that single photo where you cannot see the engine compartment?

cabikefreak, +1 for getting the car finished and going. The engine bay can be done another time, but the most important thing is that it does not become another unfinished or taking too long restoration (like mine!).
Pete

·
Registered
995 Posts
Pete,
Reread his first post. ����

**** I didn't need to pull the engine and in the hopes of getting this project done more quickly I opted not to do the engine bay, which of course I now wish I had since we are 1 1/2 years down the road anyway. But that is easily fixed when I or the next owner needs to go there. ****

So, I didn’t determine, I asked. ����

·
Registered
995 Posts
Gene,
You do what you’ve got to do!! And when it’s done, you drive the wheels off having fun. I love the color, by the way!!
��

·
Premium Member
962 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Couple of updates...spent considerable time cleaning and treating floors (which are solid) and now putting in the sound deadener. Still a ways to go there.

Also test fitted the hood after getting help and parts from kengta since my shop lost just about everything associated with re-attaching the hood (which they removed) so I didn't know how it all worked!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
12,114 Posts
since my shop lost just about everything associated with re-attaching the hood
Yep, panel/paint shops are utterly hopeless at not loosing parts of YOUR car! Had to search a shop years ago to find irreplaceable stuff ...

Pete

1 - 12 of 12 Posts