Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm selling a completely original, unrestored/unmolested Giulia 1300 Super from 1971. This car belongs to a friend who had this in his Alfa collection. He realised he will never get around driving it, so asked me to help him sell it.

HISTORY
The special thing about this one is that it has been on the road for only 5 years, from 1971-1976. In these 5 years it drove less than 25.000 miles (at the moment it has 23301 miles on it). This is officially a one owner car. The only man who drove it was a German entrepreneur, who always bought two cars of the same model but in different colors. He also owned two GTV's, two Berlina's and others. He had a red and a green Giulia. The red one was his daily driver, while the green one was occasionally driven in the summer. The owner died and my friend got the green Giulia. The car has always been inside and was taken care of very well. This means it was driven occasionally (allthought the licenseplates were suspended in 1976) on private territory to keep the mechanics in working condition.

CONDITION
The bodywork of this Alfa is unrestored/unmolested and extremely solid. The paint is original and in fair condition (it's almost 40 years old, so it could use a repaint). The interior is fabulous, like it has never been used (allthough the headliner has some small staines). The original isolation on the floor is still in place with the original rubber mats on top. It has all original suspension parts and even the original tires from the 70's. It has the original engine with the original pink Golden Lodge spark plugs and the original green sparkplug-cables.

PICTURES
Please inspect the pictures on Flickr (see the link under this text) closely. I didn't wash the car, so you can make an honest judgement on its current condition. I'm pretty shure that if you wash it, the paint will come back alive completely. The same goes for the interior, which is pretty dull now.
I inspected the car thoroughly and all I can say is this is the most solid '60's/'70's Alfa I have seen yet (and I've seen dozens), except offcourse for completely restored cars. As I mentioned before, the paint is fair. It has some touch-ups here and there and some surface-rust on the edges (no 'real' rust). The bottom has been protected with a thick layer of undercoating, but on some places you can still see the original color coming through. There is surface-rust on the suspension and on the jack-points, but again nothing structural. A good example of how solid this car is can be seen in picture number 26 (see Flickr). Someone who knows Giulias knows that this area is always rusted through. On this car it's dirty, but solid as a rock. The exhaust however has seen better days. Replacement parts (original Alfa Romeo) come with the car.
The doorpanels are straight, which is an indication that the Giulia has been stored in a dry place. The dash is perfect and the seats only need to be cleaned.
As can be seen in the little movie (my phonebattery didn't make it very long) we got the Giulia going. The engine, with two carburators and 1st series oil filter, runs smooth and the gears shift tight. The clutch is a little weak, probably the clutch-slave needs some bleeding. The electrics work, even the little lights on the headliner.

The ugly orange stickers on the bumpers can be removed with some thinner or something like that. The large sticker on the side is from the dealership where the car was sold.

All kinds of documents belong to the car, as well as the original spare keys. The 'Kraftfahrzuegbrief' is the registration. In pic 32 you can see that it has been suspended on August 4, 1976.

To sum it all up, this is a great original low milage car with an unique history. Personally I would drive it around as it is now (allthough new tires are a must) and in a few years restore it to perfection, which will be very easy with this car, as there will be no welding involved.

Price: $9000

Shipping to eastcoast: $1500 to westcoast: $2000.

More pictures can be found here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts
1300 Super

Some people like the single headlights and everyone likes green. It is all there and everything works, right? Why am I nervous?

Once upon a time, for about a year, I imported cars from the continent and England. During that time, I got an education about things from Germany. We use to joke in a macbre way about how much rust would be on the floor of the container when it got to California and we opened the doors. At night in a quiet shop, you could hear the Porsches rust.

So, I looked very hard at the photos. I wish there were many more detailed ones, including the bottoms of things, but I fear I already know the answer. Still, it doesn't look too bad. Surface rust starting to sprout everywhere, especially on the lower edges. They say that if there is rust you can see, there is rust you can't see, but no holes, I presume?

You say it sat in a shed unused in Germany for thirty, odd, years? what can you say of its upkeep in that period? Was it regularly lubricated, turned over, or started? I saw the short video and didn't see too much smoke. Is there any chance that clears up after the warm up period? I saw it stop, so the brakes work at 3Km/hr. Were the brakes locked up when you liberated it? Have you rebuilt them, yet? How about the clutch, any leaks? slippage?

If it has been on the road, does the transmission work well? Second gear crunches? Rear end quiet? Suspension tight as a 23,000 mi car?

The interior is odd. The left seat seems to be in better condition than the right seat which is coming apart. Has the left seat been reupholstered? I noticed the right floor mat is also shredded where the left seems just worn. What kind of passengers account for that? Also odd are the huge water stains in the headliner suggesting very, very high humidity in the cabin allowing the droplets to form, collect and drool down the curve to blot through. I suppose this could be painted and doubt it will rust through from the inside. I question how this occured. Was this car parked under a tree where leaves and needles clogged the cowl vents allowing water to flow into the cabin through the vent system? Did teenagers use this as the makeout car on frozen nights? Certainly, someone with dirty coveralls was driving!

Still, it does help explain the rusty interior door handles, the dull trim around the dash, the tiny pitting beginning of the horn triangle (it isn't a ring). Have you tried to use NeverDull or 00000 steel wool? It is annoying when the control stalks are flaking chrome when you touch them. Just how bad is it?

You have a new exhaust system from the manifold back, right? Any other replacement parts?

Is there any conceivable way that this has 137,533Km, or 85,270 mi, on the clock? That would average 17,054 miles/year for five years -- not inconceivable, is it?

Thank you for making higher resolution images available. I was able to copy them and then zoom in for good detail. It is true that a picture is worth a thousand words.

Finally, you suggest that you will help arrange shipping. Will that be in a closed contained? Including insurance? Dock to dock or FOB? What kind of paperwork is involved, these days? You are experienced?

Thanks,

Abby

·
Registered
607 Posts
crazy

Yeah. Strange stuff here. Let this guy sell his car. Holy cow.

Someone did this to me recently, I was trying to sell a car on another BB and this guy hijacked my thread in a similarly strange manner.

This looks like a decent enough car. I was living in Germany last year and I saw some excellent Giulias. People LOVE their cars over there and they take excellent care of them. They also use them.

I'm looking at this car and I'm thinking that it has a great interior, the body looks pretty solid, I'd want to look at it first hand, but it would make an excellent driver or even better, since it's a hanging pedals car, you could drop a 1750 in it and turn it into a nice little race car...

Anyway, friends don't let friends drink and post.

cheers,
Brian

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Thanks for all the replies, I will try to answer some of your questions/presumptions.

First, not all cars from Germany are eaten away by rust. They are the same as cars from England, the Netherlands, Belgium (same climate, salt in winter etc.). Depending on how they were treated, some are good, most are bad.

I didn't have the opportunity to properly photograph the underside of the car because I have no carlift. Offcourse you don't have to believe me when I say the car is solid. I will try to make some pictures of the bottom of the car when I have the opportunity, allthough they won't tell you much because of the undercoating which often hides a lot.

Surface rust is not 'sprouting everywhere'. The underside of the doors have some surface rust and in some other places that are normally completely rusted through there is very minor surface rust.

Abnormal, you make it appear that I suggested that this car is in prestine condition. I never implied such a thing. This is not in the same condition as the 1600 S and that's also why it doesn't cost over $20.000, but only $9.000.

As the papers show, this car has had one owner and was on the road from 1971-1976. I wasn't there when the car was bought and don't know how it was treaten by it's owner. All I can tell you is how the car looks right now. I know enough about these cars to see that this one doesn't have 137K km on it, instead of 37K km.

I have absolutely no idea where you got the impression that the right seat is 'coming apart'. Those 'huge' water stains are pretty common in these Alfa's and I'm not sure where they come from. It's probably not humidity, because the rest of the cabin shows no signs of a humid environment (doorpanels are perfectly straight, no moisty insolation etc.).

All in all, maybe I haven't been clear enough in the additional ad. This is a car for an Alfa enhusiast who understands this isn't a new Kia. I said the condition of this car is special, because in my opinion it's rare to see a 40 year old car in this condition. Offcourse there are more special cars out there, like the 1600S, but we all know what these kind of original rust free examples cost. This car is in a very nice driveable condition that could be restored in a few years without even touching a welder.

If you are truly interested in this car, please contact me privately.

Thank you,

Zowie

·
Registered
4,340 Posts
Wow that is one cool, original, and correct car. I love the engine bay photo which showcases the original small green plug wires, and correct clamps.

I will take the stance that this car needs NOT a restoration, but a good cleaning and an owner that will drive it and simply preserve what is there. I hate the over-restored cars that the so-called "enthusiasts" froth at the mouth over. It's really only original once.

Leave it be and enjoy. This car will likely make someone very happy.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Rob, I liked your thoughts of keeping it exactly as is and enjoy. I was automatically thinking about the new paint, the new this and that. Yeah, just drive and enjoy!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Here are some more pictures for those who requested them. This is easier than sending them through mail.

I cleaned the Giulia a little. I didn't have time to polish the car, so the paint still looks dull. I checked and photographed under the rubber mats and cleaned the trunk. I still haven't had the opportunity to put the car on a carlift, but I crawled under it and did my best to get some sharp pictures.

More picture updates can be found on Flickr: Flickr: Rodrick9910's Photostream

Attachments

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It took us all afternoon, but we washed the car and put it in wax. You can see the result in the pictures.

The asking price is lowered to: $8000

Kind regards,

Zowie

Attachments

·
Registered
184 Posts
Interesting Car!

Hello All:

Well, I have looked at all of the photos....The car is very nice...it is really too bad that the long term storage was not a bit kinder.

The Bad: To me the car will need quite a pit of dissassembly and paint work to reach its full potential. This will end up equivalent to an extensive refurbishment. It also appears that most of the mechanicals will need attention.

The car does appear to be complete and original Bravo! Panel fits are outstanding. Interior is beautiful and can probably be dissassembled, cleaned and put back in place.

Wow...thank you!

David Alexander
Riverside, IL

1977 Giulia Nuova Super 1600 (2.0)

1976 Alfetta GT Race Car Project

1982 GTV6 3.0 24 valve

1987 Milano Silver LeMons Racer

2004 Maserati Coupe Cambiocorsa

2008 Honda S2000

2010 VW GTI 6 speed

·
Registered
426 Posts
nice car

Looks like this could be a real nice driver for events like the California Melee.
I think some time with compound and a random orbital would be rewarded,
that and maybe just a little touch up. Of course a thorough mechanical fetteling is called for. A very original car that would likely
be long gone if it was in the US. Surprised BAT hasn't noticed it.
If I didn't already have one too many cars, I'd be looking into it!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The Giulia has been sold to somebody living 15 minutes away from me, so the car doesn't have to cross an ocean.

Thank you for watching...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts