Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, GUYS!

I am new to the Alfa community, and I have to say that it's a great family to be in. I get stopped at traffic lights and chased across parking lots by fellow Alfa owners wanting to say 'hi' and chat it up.

I'm currently working on a car that I have liked since I was a kid and always lusted after (ok, really close second to a real-deal GTAm in my Alfa loves) a '71 GTV with a well sorted motor. What a fantastic driving car, and really a pleasure and trill above 4k RPM!

I'm converting it from a street car that was a little mis-matched to a street/LIGHT track car that is ideal for road rallies or just a Sunday open lapping day. With that I'm putting in a ATL fuel cell, and need to get the sending unit right this time. I ordered, had it arrive, did all the prep work, and realized I should not have been placing orders for CUSTOM parts while on my commute from memory. Usually, it's a flawless system, but this one type (OF COURSE!) had to be for something I can't return... a VDO calibrated sending unit for an ATL fuel cell (FOR SALE... BTW). I was working on a TVR Griffith and a few others of the 60s-70s that the VDO stuck out in my mind, not Veglia Borletti.

What I need is the EXACT Ohm range for my existing gauge, so that I can keep the looks of the interior fairly stock and spartan. I have read the posts on here and on the Lancia Stratos site (they also used V.B. gauges), and I cannot get a clear answer. Worse yet I don't have a working sender. It only partially works, and is crap, at best. The few cryptic readings I'm able to get from the sender bench testing it (yes, I did clean it and bend the pins to help it out) seemed to be reverse of what I've read on here.

Q: What is the Ohm range (empty and full) for the Veglia Borletti guage for a 1971 Alfa GTV?

This definitive information would be much appreciated, save me hours, and get me back on track to getting the car done.

If there is a way to test the guage Ohm range WITHOUT a working sending unit that would be helpful as well, even if I have to make a rig. Sure I will use it again for another car.

Reference pics:

Thanks in advance.

-Ken

·
Premium Member
16,232 Posts
Welcome, Ken.

Please click here for the readings taken from a 1968 1750 GTV sending unit with Veglia Borletti instruments.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, Jim.

I saw your picture on another posting called "Gas Gauge Theory for Morons 101", and was really confused compared to my bench test.

My low numbers at empty were as low as 9-12 ohm, and at about a 1/3 of a tank level (where the reading started cutting out) were higher than 130.

Hmm. Thoughts.

Does anyone know official numbers that differ or was there a change in US versus Euro spec? I have two manuals (one over the counter and another might be a bootleg service manual of-sorts) and neither has that level of spec for diagnostic.

I'm really scratching my head now. Ugh.

Just don't want to buy another custom boat anchor or a mechanical sender just to test.

Thanks!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts