Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Do the Giulia TIs and Duetto 1750s share shocks/springs/sway bars etc?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
22,350 Posts
Sway bars and shocks are the same, but I'd expect the springs to be a different rate and length. But the suspension units are all identical. If the Ti still has 1600 geometry there will be minor differences in the upright, etc. compared to the 1750. But as a unit you can bolt either's on the other car.

Andrew

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Andrew, I'm just wondering of Konis and IAP sport springs are interchangable between both models.

·
Registered
4,258 Posts
For reference, go to the Alfaholics site and read the information on their suspension kits. They point out that their Super/TI uprated spring kits, while lowering a Super/TI, maintain a stock ride height on GTVs and Spiders. It would appear then that putting on a spring kit designed to lower a GTV or Spider a little will lower a Super appreciably more. Plan on doing to shimming to raise the suspension a bit. Alfaholics makes good stuff but you might also contact Performatek. The owner has a Super track car and will know about the apparent ride height differences and can provide appropriate springs.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
You think using IAP red performance springs (meant for a spider) on Ti will be a bad idea or can they work?

·
Premium Member
22,350 Posts
Spring lengths are rates are different for every car. I just put stock GTV rear springs in a tow-away Spider and they were way too short. So I think buying non-Giulia-specific springs is a starting point, but you may have to shim up or cut down (which changes the rate).
In Europe they seem to have Giulia- and Berlina-specific springs, and you might check with Dave Rugh if he's still doing springs (I have his email and phone if you want to PM me). Or try Group2 in Seattle.
Andrew

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
You think using IAP red performance springs (meant for a spider) on Ti will be a bad idea or can they work?
Please reread post #4, your answer is there. Using lowering springs meant for a Spider, will lower a Super/TI too much. Alan Ward (of Ward & Dean fame) would be another to ask about springs for your Alfa, but I'm not sure Alan is a member on this board, but someone's bound to know how to contact him.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Please reread post #4, your answer is there. Using lowering springs meant for a Spider, will lower a Super/TI too much. Alan Ward (of Ward & Dean fame) would be another to ask about springs for your Alfa, but I'm not sure Alan is a member on this board, but someone's bound to know how to contact him.
I'm wondering if "too low" means 1/4 inch or 4 inches though I do have a few sets of rubber spring cushions.

Also how about front springs? same story?

D

·
Premium Member
22,350 Posts
It's the same issues front and rear. Rubber cushions, aluminum spacers, all this comes into it.
There is some "leverage" built into the system. Put in a front spring that's 1 inch shorter, and the car will end up more than that lower, because the spring is inboard on the A arm, and the height change at the spindle is greater than that. In my experience is somewhere between 2:1 and 3:1, but my changes were not exact, probably due to interaction from side to side and front to rear, and how the weight of the car shifts as you change the ride height of each corner. You end up having to R&D the car to a small extent to get it exactly like you want.
Andrew

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Gotcha. Thanks Andrew. So basically the Giulias require longer/stiffer springs than the GTV/Spiders.

What is a good source for Giulia Sport lowering springs?

·
Premium Member
22,350 Posts
Here's what I said above:

"In Europe they seem to have Giulia- and Berlina-specific springs, and you might check with Dave Rugh if he's still doing springs (I have his email and phone if you want to PM me). Or try Group2 in Seattle."

Andrew

1 - 13 of 13 Posts