Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I need help!

I love my B20 1958. Elegant, nice and sporty.

But i am looking for a 6c2500SS cab.

Could anyone tell me his experiences with the two cars?
Thank you !

ZZARCHI

·
Registered
167 Posts
Zzarchi,
In 1958 I bought a 1949 Alfa 6C2500SS Farina convertible like the one in your photo. I paid $500 for the car and had it shipped from Italy for another $300. It was just an old car in original condition. The engine was worn and it smoked a bit. I drove it to school. I painted it red so it looked like your photo. When the engine blew a head gasket I overhauled the engine and drove it again. I had made a mistake with the oil system and the car started loosing oil pressure. I traded it for an MG TF with a cracked rear spring.
After another 40 years I got nostalgia and bought another 6C2500SS. This time I bought a 1948 Touring coupe because I like the styling better. It was original and in rough condition. It is now being restored by a high quality shop. I am restoring engine and this time I will not make the same mistake.
I love these cars. They are beautiful and have all the exotic features you look for in an Italian classic. The car is a great high speed cruiser. It will easily go freeway speed because it is geared for that. Top speed is 100 mph. Acceleration is not bad considering the car's age, but you will not win any drag races. The handling is great for the age of the car. They have independent suspension all around and it works well. The ride is firm and the steering is heavy only when parking. The brakes work well and I never had any fade. Driving it takes some learning because the car has right hand drive and a left hand column shift. Once you get used to it the driving is fine.
Many engine and chassis parts are available from AFRA in Italy. However body parts usually have to be made because they were all hand made originally. I have spent a huge amount of money on my car getting the body rebuilt and painted. If you find a car with a bad body be prepared to spend $200,000 or more to make it beautiful. The engine uses old fashioned babbit bearings so an overhaul requires an expert. Many small parts for the engine have to be made and I have done that on my car.
I think the Alfa 6C2500 is a top of the line exotic classic for a moderate price right now. You can find them at auction for $500,000 to over a million depending on the body style and history. It is probably cheaper to buy a restored car than it is to totally restore one like I am doing. If you buy a bad car the missing parts will cost you the most. Good luck on your search for a wonderful car.
Fred Puhn, National City, CA USA. [email protected] is a good contact.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts