Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone out there found a source for new 6C2500 torsion bars? I need a pair of the shorter ones, for the SS chassis. Since the originals were prone to breaking, this is a problem that many of you out there must have solved.
Paul Wilson

·
Registered
167 Posts
Paul,
I have my rear suspension apart now and will magaflux the torsion bars. If they are not OK I will be joining you in getting some made. I should know this month.
Fred

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Torsion bars

You'll probably need them. The originals very often broke. Also, don't switch sides. If you put one taken from the left on the right, twisting in the wrong direction will break it quickly.
I got a quote from a US manufacturer of $6-8K for setup and a pilot run on new ones. It wouldn't take many of us to make this worthwhile. I've seen new ones offered for $1K apiece.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Paul,
Thanks for the tip. I alerted my mechanic to mark the bars 'left' and 'right' so they go back on the same side. The issue is the fatigue life is drastically reduced if you double the stress range. If the bars stay on the same side the stress goes from zero (bar removed) to a maximum value at full bump. If the bars are switched the maximum stress is the same but in the opposite direction from previous use. This doubles the stress range and reduces the fatigue life. Good advice for any car with torsion bars.
Fred

1 - 4 of 4 Posts