Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On the dashboard of my 6C2500SS Touring coupe there is a rotary knob connected to a cable that is supposed to operate the throttle. I assume this is for adjusting the idle speed from the ****pit . On my car everything on this control is damaged, partly missing, and the parts do not look correct. Does anyone know more detail about what this control looks like and how it connects to the engine throttle linkage. Are there photos? Does anyone have parts available I can buy or trade?

·
Registered
96 Posts
SS Hand Throttle

Fred,

The hand throttle system on your 2500 SS engine consists of:

A dashboard control knob connected to threaded shaft which is connected to a solid wire (cable). Turning the knob extends or retracts the wire cable.

The outer cable is attached by a small clamp to a right angle bracket mounted on right rear of the engine block, just above the sump. It is held to the engine block above the sump flange by two bolts. It is positioned just behind the throttle linkage pinion shaft, which comes out of the side of the lower crankcase, at right angles to it and parallel to the ground surface.

This bracket has another small (6mm) pinion, which is parallel to the throttle linkage pinion. This has a very small curved dagger shaped strip of metal (like a paw as in ratchet and paw) swinging on it. The end of the cable wire is attached to a second hole in this paw and moves it back and forth. The paw contacts the end of the throttle linkage bell-crank and pushes it down which opens the butterflies on the carburetors. These parts are very small like motorcycle cable connectors and any could easily be overlooked or lost.

I have attached some pdf scans of the engine and the parts book images circled in red.

This mechanism is unique to the Super Sport engine as the Sport has a system acting directly on the single carburetor.

Attachments

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Throttle control

Thanks very much for the detailed information and photos. I think I have everything except the dash mounted control and knob. I plan to make the knob if I have to.

My friend told me the old Alfa Giulietta Sprint he used to own had a similar control on the dash. I wonder if that is the same thing? If anyone knows please let me know.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Throttle control

Yes it looks very similar except for the knob. I found one for sale and have ordered it, along with a spare. I am pretty sure the mechanism is the same. The cable length may be an issue, but I need to fit it to the car to find out. I plan to make a knob that matches the orange plastic elsewhere on the dash.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts