Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am getting my 6C2500 gages restored. My tach is finished and the shop just told be my tach cable does not have the correct end on it. He cannot find a new part so I need help. I could even use a broken or crummy cable (the moving part) if it has the end on it that drives the instrument. I would offer to make a new one but I do not know what it looks like. Thanks.
Fred Puhn
(619)475-1155
[email protected]
National City CA USA

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I just was offered a part for the tach cable and it is coming to me. When I receive it I will document the dimensions so more could be made if there is a need.

·
Registered
9,409 Posts
That's great news, Fred!

Pictures will also help to identify what's so special about them.

·
Registered
96 Posts
6C Tachometer Cable

Fred,

My tachometer cable has to metal ends to suit the cam drive on the end of the cam box and the Jaeger tachometer in the dashboard. I guess the Bosh instruments may have a different drive profile. The cam drive end has a flat blade centered on the cable end, approx. 10 mm long 7mm x 2.5mm flat blades on each end. The instrument end is a square section cable of 3.2 mm (1/8 th) The Austin Healey fraternity should be a good source of information if not a suitable cable maker. The outer cable sheath is the vital part for the barrel which is clamped into drive end.

Jim

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think I may have everything I need. I sent the parts to MoMa Manufacturing where the instruments are being restored. I should know in a few days if everything is good.

I did find that the tiny screw that locks the tach cable into the tach has some wear on the tiny tiny threads. The screw is 2.5mm dia with fine threads. It is a flathead screw with a non standard angle, approximately 60 degrees. That screw is totally non-standard and would have to be made. I made a drawing of this hardware in case anyone else needs to have parts made.

·
Registered
46 Posts
One problem solved, anyway

Glad to hear you're all set. I have one tach cable, couldn't find a speedo cable, and eventually I'll have two cars, so adventures await me when I get to these or other smaller issues.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts