Alfa Romeo Forums banner

6C gearbox

2K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  iicarJohn 
#1 ·
Hello!
I have this early 6C gearbox with some other parts. On the gearbox is the number 843074. Is there a way to identify the chassis number of the car?
Thanks
Hein Brand

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
John de Boer recently posted an Alfa Romeo document (dated 01-Aug-1935) with gear ratios in this thread.

The above-mentioned document indicates that the only 22x39 gearbox ratios used at the time were in 6C Gran Turismo and 6C Gran Sport Convertibles of the 6th series (which would mean 6C 1900, made in 1933 only) and (7th series) 6C 2300 Turismo and Gran Turismo (1934-35).

If we look beyond the date range of this document, the gearbox numbers starting with "8" may indicate 6C 2300B between 1935-39 (possibly 1st series 6C 2300B (1935-37), which technically can be viewed as 8th series but was named 1st series by Alfa Romeo (with independent front suspension but solid rear axle), and/or 2nd series 6C 2300B (1937-39), which technically can be viewed as 9th series (with independent front and rear suspension) that used the same chassis number prefixes as 1st series 6C 2300B.

So, I guess assuming a 1933-39 time frame for the manufacturing date of this gearbox may be a good first guess.

I'm looking forward to what John de Boer and others may have to say about the numbers and the configuration of this gearbox (e.g. presence/absence of freewheeling mechanisms on specific models) and how that may relate to specific chassis numbers or chassis number ranges.

#4 ·
This is a 6C2300B gearbox but it is not possible to be precise about the chassis or engine it came from. I can guess that it is from 1934 but have too little reliable data to make that guess definitive. Internal parts may have some tiny markings that may report dates along with other information that was important to the builders.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.