Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
3507160863_2ae13022df_b.jpg

Found this on eBay a couple of years ago, no info except a stamp of the photographer from Napoli. If someone has any suggestions as to where, when and who ...
Possibly 6C 1500 Super Sport ?

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Alfa Romeo 6C1750 Gran Sport

Nuvolari & Guidotti on their way to winning the Mille Miglia of 1930

There were some similar 6C1500 Gran Sport configuration cars built as well. They generally competed in a smaller displacement category but were nominally the same as the contemporary 6C1750 cars.

·
Registered
874 Posts
Nuvolari & Guidotti on their way to winning the Mille Miglia of 1930

There were some similar 6C1500 Gran Sport configuration cars built as well. They generally competed in a smaller displacement category but were nominally the same as the contemporary 6C1750 cars.
Sorry John, that would have been too easy... :)

Otherwise, I agree that cars with all external features of 6C1750s were fitted with 1500 engines to compete in the 1500 class and are therefore impossible to distinguish from "full" 1750s.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Not at home to check files but,

After checking my files more carefully, and being quite certain that I've seen this photo previously, my new "guess" is the 1931 Bobbio - Passo del Penice hill-climb. There should be a photo in the Orsini/Zagari book "La Scuderia Ferrari" (Italian language version, page 103) which is not to hand at the moment for me to check and confirm.

One of the Caniato brothers was entered in a 6C1500 with race #84 but the photo in La Scuderia Ferrari is captioned with the information that #84 was Foligno & Ongaro in a Scuderia Ferrari 6C1750 instead. They were 5th o/a. If you have any doubt about there being co-drivers on this sort of event, you will not find it difficult to find photos of Enzo Ferrari winning the event ... with a co-driver sitting alongside. Actually, "co-driver" becomes a bit inaccurate in the context of this sort of event.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
The II Circuito di Caserta race was held 18 May 1930

It is certainly possible that the photo shows this event. Caserta is not far from Napoli so the photographer was not far from home?

Campari was 3rd o/a in a Scuderia Ferrari car that is yet to be identified. It was probably an early 4th-series Gran Sport.

Scuderia Ferrari also had chassis 6C8513002 in the hands of Tadini (race #48, finished 6th o/a)

Pasquale Croce (race #68) crashed in 6C8513009

In 1989 I saw photos of the two cars identified above but do not have them in my files. I merely took notes. It may be that the same photo Philip posted initially was/is with the same friend? I'll ask. A photo with some more definition will perhaps help in the identification of the car and the event.

john

1 - 12 of 12 Posts