Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
wiper motor in my 69 spider is rusted beyond rebuilding. not sure what year motors will interchange with my car. anyone know what years will fit thanks randy

·
Super Moderator
11,550 Posts
I think the only motors that will fit are ones that came on Alfas whose wiper arms move 180 degrees out of phase - that is, like a bird flapping its wings. Basically, just the 105 cars from the 1960's. The shape of the frame that the motor mounts to requires the motor's armature to be at a non-right angle from the output shaft of the transmission. See photo below.

Later Alfas - the cars whose wiper blades move in phase - have a different frame that accommmodates a motor whose armature is 90 degrees to the output shaft. People have reported installing Bosch wiper motors from other European cars (like BMW's) on these cars, but I don't think they'll fit the early cars like your '69.

Attachments

·
Registered
299 Posts
wiper motor

I don't know much about wiper motors, but I do have a spare that is Bosch model #DHP12 0390346086. Compared to the photos posted by Jay, the motor body looks smaller. Let me know if you're interested.

Photos attached.

Gmack
Minneapolis

·
Super Moderator
11,550 Posts
I don't know much about wiper motors, but I do have a spare that is Bosch model #DHP12 0390346086. Compared to the photos posted by Jay, the motor body looks smaller.
The '66 Sprint wiper motor whose photo I posted in message #2 of this thread is 2.766" in diameter - about 70mm. For what it's worth, the Bosch part number stamped onto the cover of the gearbox is: 0390326002.

Again, the later WW motor-gearboxes had their output shafts at 90 degrees to the armatures. If the motor diameter was small enough, I'm guessing that a later unit could fit a pre-1970 WW frame. But, I don't know: a) if smaller dia. motors were offered, or b)how much smaller the dia. would need to be.

The other approach might be to somehow cut / modify the frame to accommodate a right angle motor-gearbox.

·
Premium Member
2,816 Posts
Installed a wiper motor from an 80's BMW (E30, I think) in a 1971 GTV a couple of years ago.

Worked great.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts