Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, been a while since I've been on but business as well as being at University full time does take it's toll on time for an older guy like me. I have one more year to finish my degree and am determined to have the spider on the road and track by then so a couple of questions. 1. I am in New Zealand and have a lhd car. The drivers (lhs) spring base/pan is rusted through. Can I use a drivers side one from a rhd car to replace it or are they not symetrical - just trying to avoid importing a $20.00 part from the U.S., also 2. My car will be road legal and used for racing - any ideas on suitable spring rates and shocks so it is useable on the road but also mid class competitive in racing. I have raced a Sud Sprint for 15 years and am a 105 series virgin so lots to learn and any help would be appreciated.

Ian

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Pics

I know how you guys like pics so here are a couple. These were taken by the previous owner Hans and I believe he has posted one before. I have done A TON OF WORK since these were taken and reckon I have about 50hrs of shaping, welding, grinding and bogging before I can start the paint phase. When the car transport company dropped it off the driver said 'I hope you didn't pay anything for this'. But I will get there. There are apparently only 13 known boat tails in NZ and only one other 1750 Veloce owned by Penn McKay of NZ Classic Car fame. To my knowledge there is a 1974 Kamm tail spider used for track days in Australia so conceivably mine will be the only boat tail racing car in Australasia.

Attachments

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry I probably wasn't clear on my query. I've notice different depth but my query was more on can I use a RHD drivers side bucket (which is shallower than the passengers side) on my left hand drive car?

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
It will fit.

As was mentioned they are different depths to compensate for driver weight.

·
--ADMINISTRATOR--chiuso per ferie
13,358 Posts
The interesting thing is that the parts books I referred to did not differentiate between LHD and RHD cars for the pans. I've noticed missing items from the parts book in the past. So, because there is no differentiation between LHD and RHD cars, it's best that you compare the two before installing.

One pan is deeper than the other. It is noticeable to the naked eye. If need be, I can dig out my two spares and photograph them for you. I have to go down into the basement again today, anyway. :eek:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts