Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 69 Spider shifts so smoothly up through the gears and back down without a wimper, hesitation or grind. However, in reverse, I must hold the gearshift lever down, keeping pressure on it until I back up. Backing up a slight grade is a nightmare. I figure this calls for removing the gearbox. What should I look for when I open up the box??

·
Registered
247 Posts
I found that leaving the shifter in reverse when not driving helped. I think that some times the shift boot can interfere with the stick and push it out of reverse if the box has a weak hold on reverse. In my 1974 spider there are a row of nuts on top of the transmission holding small springs that push ball bearings against indentations in the ? Selector. I put an extra washer under the nut corresponding to the reverse to push the ball bearing more firmly. Worked ok. Might help more to replace with a stronger spring also. There's no doubt other reasons for reverse to slip out but this is just my experience, for what it's worth

TS

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I found "Gearbox" Forum

Thanks for the reply. I found the gearbox forum and maybe my question is better served there. Good info there about trans mount could be the culprit. I do hear and feel a bumpy noise coming from behind me when I release the clutch so I will look at that tomorrow.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Similar issue...how did you solve?

elgatto, I have what sounds to be the same exact problem on my 67 GTV where going up slight grades is a nightmare and the trans goes into major vibration after a bit of clutch pressure - seems like clutch is not engaging flat. How did you solve - was it a major issue or a minor tweak?

Thanks,

Gerald

·
Registered
2,830 Posts
Remove all your shift boots, shrouds, and gaiters until all you see is the shift lever attached to the trans tower, then try backing. If it no longer pops out of reverse, loosen the shift lever clamp bolt and re-position the shift lever so as not to foul on anything when reverse gear is selected after you reinstall the boots and shrouds.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts