Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm putting the doors to my '69 Spider back together. No problems, except there is a small hole above the latch. It looks as if there should be a plug of some sort there. Is that correct? Unfortunately the parts manuals I have are not very detailed in this area at all... they basically show the latch mechanism and the door so I don't want to base no plug on very sparse information there.

Does the hole server any purpose? There does not seem to be access to anything through it.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Are yours left unplugged?
Unfortunately none of my disassembly photos show the end of the door.

·
Registered
7,366 Posts
every spider right up to 1994 has that hole, and left unplugged as yours is.
here is an S4

Attachments

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
every spider right up to 1994 has that hole, and left unplugged as yours is.
here is an S4
Thanks. Seems like it must have had a purpose at one time. Maybe some access or adjustment on the 1600s?

·
Premium Member
2,495 Posts
No, 1967 Spider 1600 has same hole. Likely access hole to hold latch in place during assembly??
Cheers, jon

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No, 1967 Spider 1600 has same hole. Likely access hole to hold latch in place during assembly??
Cheers, jon
Yes, Osso had indicated it was there on 1600s. if you are installing the latch that means the door panel is off and access is easy so I don't think you would need it to install the latch.
Now I'm curious. Maybe it's a fixture point for when the door is welded

·
Premium Member
3,930 Posts
The hole is there to lube the latch with spray lube when the release of the latch becomes sticky. You will mainly notice it when you have to pull on your door harder then normal to get it to open. Thats what leads to outer door handles breaking.

·
Premium Member
2,495 Posts
Jim G ...that makes sense. Was this ever noted in the drivers handbook?
Cheers, Jon

·
Premium Member
3,930 Posts
I doubt it. The hole probably was for something else. But it is in the perfect spot to get lube around the big shaft that goes through the latch to the inside.

·
Registered
7,366 Posts
yes, could be used a lube hole perhaps, but I bet it has another purpose.

why? the hole has one flat side...almost as though you stick (let's say) a screwdriver in there to align something.....?
if it was just a hole they'd have used a drill and made a hole:)...but a hole with a flat side is much more complicated to manufacture....

no Idea what its real purpose is though!
latch.jpg

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Just one less rust hole... oh wait it is already a hole...😂
yes, could be used a lube hole perhaps, but I bet it has another purpose.

why? the hole has one flat side...almost as though you stick (let's say) a screwdriver in there to align something.....?
if it was just a hole they'd have used a drill and made a hole:)...but a hole with a flat side is much more complicated to manufacture....

no Idea what its real purpose is though! View attachment 1604780

My 69 is a round hole. Odd that they changed it. Here is a photo from the latch mechanism from the other door, not yet installed. There is nothing to lube behind that hole. Nothing to adjust. At least on my car the rib you see behind the hole is just part of the stamping of the latch.

I've circled where there was a clump of dirt that I had wiped off. That's where the hole in the door is. Nothing there. Hmmm, mystery!

·
Premium Member
101 Posts
That hole may be from a previous or another designed latch mechanism when the car was conceived. Just a thought....

·
Premium Member
3,930 Posts
1968 and earlier latches are different.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts