Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thanks to this forum, I've rebuilt my heater in the 69 spider.

Here are some great references for anyone starting the same adventure:
http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/spider-1966-up/190832-duetto-refreshing-heater-unit.html
http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/car-restoration/54373-heater-box-upper-gasket-69-sv.html

Some pic's of the rebuild just for your amusement:

However, the fan was beyond hope. And, despite checking all the usual sources, I could not find one anywhere. So, time to improvise. I noticed that some Fiat fans looked similar. Here is what I bought:
Fiat Dino Coupe Spider X1/9 Heater Fan Motor

The pitch of the fan is the opposite of the Alfa fan but the fan rotates the opposite direction, so the air flow is the same.

Unfortunately, it is not a direct fit. The overall diameter is about 6mm larger so I had to trim it (fairly easy, the plastic blades were easy to file away and form). I had to use the side rubber mounts from the original and press fit it in place. It seemed to work properly on the lower section; however, as soon as I attached it to the upper heater body, the blades hit the heater core. That was easily addressed by "gently" pressing it down further....(ok, I tapped it with a hammer).

Wiring it was easy - cut off the faston terminal (female) connector on the black wire and replace it with the same size faston tab (male) connector. The white wire will go to ground. Ignore the red wire (we don't have a two speed system) and cut it off.

After all my bench testing to get it to fit (numerous trial and error on the shape to blades on my bench grinder and hand files and different depths of insertion), I finally accomplished not hitting or rubbing anything else (shroud, heater core, front grate). So.....let's install it in the car. As everyone who has rebuilt a Duetto heater can attest, not an easy task. And somehow, once constrained in the car bolted down, it started hitting something again - out it came followed by more trial and error.

Finally, works great. A bit loud but since I've never heard the stock fan, I'm not sure if it is louder than the Alfa fan. Now I have a working heater with fan and during my test drive in what I consider cold weather (ok, its Georgia so 42 degrees F) I needed to adjust the heat down as it got a bit hot in the cabin. Love it - we now have 3 more months of driving available to us.

Bottom Line - This is an acceptable solution to the lack of fans available. BUT - be prepared to mess with it quite a bit to get it to work smoothly.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Alfa Parts Exchange here in CA will often have this kind of thing.
Andrew
As someone who spent way too many hours getting the Fiat fan to work, I strongly endorse spending money with A.P.E. for a proper Alfa fan. But in my search late at night, I did not call anyone on the phone (I wish I had called A.P.E. the next day) and simply stopped by MrFiat on my way home from work the next evening and picked up the fan and got started on my heater rebuild.

The good news is that the Fiat fan can be made to work. It is brand new, just more labor.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts