Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The black plastic hand brake handle on my '69 Spider has a crack on the top running lengthwise, about 1/16" wide. Does anyone know where a replacement might be available? Alternatively, does anyone have any ideas as to how to restore it? I'm also looking for an original-type boot for the handle; does anyone know if they are available? Thanks.

·
Registered
330 Posts
I just replaced the tunnel carpet, hand brake boot today on my '69 Spider. I found an original style rubber hand brake boot at reoriginals.com. It was an excellent match for the original, once I cleaned up the excess rubber along the mold parting line. As for the plastic handle, replacement sounds like your best bet. It should be easy enough to find a hand brake from a donor car. Ebay is the likely source, although you might also check with Alfa Parts Exchange (APE).

·
Certified Oldschooler
7,030 Posts
Centerline's December trifold just came out with a plastic handle (BC429) but it doesn't say what color they come in. It looks wood textured in the picture so it may be for a later mode.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I looked at Reoriginals' web site, but there was no picture, so I wasn't sure about it. It's good to know that the part is a good match, although I'd certainly like to get by with less than $118 for a rubber boot.

·
Registered
330 Posts
I know, Reoriginals is not inexpensive, but they have some very hard to find items. I think the actual price was somewhat less, just under $100. The original boot was stitched into the carpet (at least mine was), so you might consider finding an auto uphostery shop to do the stitching if you decide to replace the shift boot.

There is a hand brake on ebay. The listing says it is for a 71-85. It looks like the one in my '69 though. Maybe someone on the BB knows for certain if this is correct for the "69 spider.

eBay Motors: Alfa Romeo Spider Emergency Brake Handle Assembly 71-85 (item 310004135239 end time Dec-09-07 09:16:50 PST)

·
Certified Oldschooler
7,030 Posts
69 Dog Leg

Up through '69 the brake lever in a SV had a "dog leg" just behind the handle. In 71 they were straight but had the same black handle. I just had to sub a '71 in my '6's9 as it was all seized up. After I figure out how to get the #%^$#)(*U thins apart and unseize it, I'll probably put it back on.

·
Supporting Vendor
4,365 Posts
Centerline's December trifold just came out with a plastic handle (BC429) but it doesn't say what color they come in. It looks wood textured in the picture so it may be for a later mode.
Thanks for noticing! This part has been hard to find for a long time, so it's nice to finally have something to offer.

It's hard black plastic with a pebbled vinyl texture to it. It would be most correct on a later model car, but will work on a '69.

Attachments

·
Certified Oldschooler
7,030 Posts
Yea but . .

While it has a pebbled finish rather than the smooth black plastic finish of a '69 or '71 handle, if yours is cracked or has a piece out (like mine), it may be better than that until you can find or make a correct handle. It will work fine and look better than a cracked one; perhaps not concourse. The bent 69 arm with the new handle is way more correct than a straight '71 one. Heck, get a chunk of mahogany and make one to match the Nadri and shift knob. There's "not correct" but nice. Just save the old parts. :D

·
Super Moderator
10,171 Posts
Chuck:

That DeNoya Trading Post handle on ebay appears to be what DeNoya claims it to be: a '71 or later handle. Notice that it is straight.

As Alfanuts writes, "Up through '69 the brake lever in a SV had a "dog leg" just behind the handle". I don't see that dog leg in the picture DeNoya posted on ebay.

·
Certified Oldschooler
7,030 Posts
71 Fits & Works in 69

The '71 EM brake handle I fit in to my '69SV fits and works well, just not perfectly "correct". I just did this job as I now try to unseize my OE handle's release button/shaft mechanism.

·
Out of the office!
11,640 Posts
The '71 EM brake handle I fit in to my '69SV fits and works well, just not perfectly "correct". I just did this job as I now try to unseize my OE handle's release button/shaft mechanism.
You can disassmeble everything except the button and return spring without removing the handle. Remove the bolt that holds the lever to the bracket. Then, push out the long hollow pin. You'll then have to work out the long shaft as it will have quite a bit of old grease. Before pushing out the shaft, make note of the orientation of the tooth. If it's not oriented correctly, the lever will not catch and lock the parking brake.

Attachments

·
Certified Oldschooler
7,030 Posts
Thanks Osso, it's out now so that'll make it a bit easier, except for reassembling it. I suspect it's just solidified old grease. Cheers,

·
Certified Oldschooler
7,030 Posts
There are two small screws to remove. And after removal, my handle stayed stuck. I presume you soak it with solvent and eventually it may slide off without being destroyed. Haven;t finished this job yet. One of the UK vendors (perhaps others) sold the correct 69 smooth handles just in case (Alfaholics or Highwood, or both). I got one as mine is chipped anyway.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts