Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is hardly worth posting, but I could not get the client's doors to lock on his '69 Spider. After more time than I care to even think about adjusting, etc., I switched the 'actuating levers', which attach to the back of the lock, from the left side of the car to the right side (and vice versa). It now works perfectly.

The question is: When facing the driver's side door handle which way do you turn to lock it? On this car, it turns counter clockwise to lock.

I'm not changing it if that is wrong, but would like to know which direction other's who have the same (handle/lock) lock and unlock.

(On my Alfetta it locks clockwise and suspect Alfa has been consistent with this).

Biba

·
Trained (ex)Professional, , 1953-2018 RIP
16,232 Posts
Don't know about the Spiders but GTVs of the era had the doors lock by turning the key toward the front of the car; unlock toward the rear. In other words, the left door will lock by turning counterclockwise and unlock clockwise. The right door is the opposite. Locks clockwise and unlocks counterclockwise.

·
Certified Oldschooler
7,049 Posts
My '69 SV handle locks (never off the car) turn CW (clockwise) to open/unlock and CCW to lock (driver side anyway). You know you can push the inside panel handles down to lock the doors form the inside or when exiting and closing the doors. Regards, B

·
Registered
6,087 Posts
Don't know about the Spiders but GTVs of the era had the doors lock by turning the key toward the front of the car; unlock toward the rear. In other words, the left door will lock by turning counterclockwise and unlock clockwise. The right door is the opposite. Locks clockwise and unlocks counterclockwise.
This is also how it is in the Spiders. Always lock by turning the key towards the front of the car, and unlock by turning the key towards the back of the car...

Best regards,

·
Registered
3,553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks everyone. I did get it right! The client's attitude - when I emailed asking if the door locks worked before (yes, I should have checked before removing them) replied that he never locked the doors and never left anything of value inside the interior. Meaning he's not going to like the bill for my fixing the locks.

I somewhat agree with him, but believe there are two factors. I do agree that locks are to keep honest people honest and there are many places I would lock a Spider. Also I will be installing a fairly elaborate audio system in this '69 Spider - though mostly trunk mounted.

Not terribly important, but I would like your opinions as to whether to lock a Spider or not. Yes, where you live/go is a variable factor from one person to another.

Biba.

·
Certified Oldschooler
7,049 Posts
I have seen and heard of many a cut open soft top where thieves were trying to get at something in a convertible. Who needs a $500 top cut. I do not leave anything of value in mine that an average thief would want and have no radio. The trunk latch locks. When the top is up, I do lock it (in inclement weather or at night) though but it's really negotiable as the top is down most of the time during daylight. I use a Strong Arm on the steering wheel to deter determined car thieves. As an aside, seems like this work should have been agreed up front if it ran over say $100-200, depending on how persnickety the client is.

·
Registered
1965 Giulia TI/1998 Spider
3,938 Posts
my locks don't work on the Spider...never got any keys with it, and never attempted to remedy the situation. I think locking a Spider is useless, and will cause more damage. I never leave anything in the Spider, at least not in plain sight. And I have a big fat lock on the steering wheel if I have to park it somewhere other than my garage. The only reason why I would like to fix it one day is for the sake of originality

1 - 7 of 7 Posts