Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 115 Posts

·
Registered
3,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So this is my first post in the Spider forum. I'm restoring the Air Box on my 69 GTV and I'm hoping someone can post up a photo showing the 2 yellow labels that are supposed to be on it. I haven't received a reply to my post on the GT forum for this request yet and so I thought I'd give it a try here.

100_3627.jpg

·
Registered
3,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I still would like to get a pic of these labels with legible text. I can't seem to find them on the Highwood site......can anyone assist me here?

·
Trained (ex)Professional, , 1953-2018 RIP
16,232 Posts
A thought might be to have everyone with these decals, whether complete or not, to post a picture. By combining the pics, perhaps a complete example could be assembled. Then the reproduction process could begin.

·
Certified Oldschooler
7,048 Posts
As long as we're refurbishing air boxes, does anyone have a spec or color on the original paint color also? Appears to be a gray if this is OE.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Ace Machine Gray in can as JohnM once posted seems to be very close color. I will be painting mine in this color.
Thx

·
Registered
3,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So far I have been able to decipher most of the text in these labels from the photos posted. The yellow text shown is what I'm pretty sure is correct.....

..the first label...
Slide1.jpg

..and the second label...
Slide2.jpg
The text in RED is what I'm not sure about...namely;

-is the word RETEX with quotations?
-what letter is in front of the number 3708...is it D?
-on the second label, what word follows frequently..is it overhauled?
-and again on the second label, what is the number in front of miles...is it 6,000?

Can someone confirm the correctness of these? I realize the font style is not quite correct, but I'll get the artwork sorted out after I can get the text correct. Any feedback is appreciated.

·
Certified Oldschooler
7,048 Posts
Nice work. My markings are all but gone on this item.

·
Registered
205 Posts
The text in RED is what I'm not sure about...namely;

-is the word RETEX with quotations?
-what letter is in front of the number 3708...is it D?
-on the second label, what word follows frequently..is it overhauled?
-and again on the second label, what is the number in front of miles...is it 6,000?

Can someone confirm the correctness of these? I realize the font style is not quite correct, but I'll get the artwork sorted out after I can get the text correct. Any feedback is appreciated.

Here is what I have of the originals.
1) no quotations on RETEX
2) L3708
3) overhauled
4)6500 miles

Steve

·
Registered
205 Posts
spica filter decal

I think the Italian text needs some changes. Let me check the photos and get back to you.

Steve

·
Registered
205 Posts
69 spica filter decal

now that I looked at my photos close-up it does look as if RETEX is in Quotations.I think you were right.

On the Italian decal I believe the word sestituirla should be ( sostituirlo ). Do a search for decals and see papajams post way back of an earlier decal. Also if I look at my photos it closely matches this word.Don't know what it means though?

sure is hard to read a 1969 decal !!!

let me know your thoughts.
Steve

·
Registered
3,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi Steve...I just got back from the far east and haven't had a chance to check in on this thread till now. So let me restate your findings...

1. Quotations are used.
2. You are probably correct "sostituirlo" would be the correct grammatic word (I'll check that thread you listed as well).
3. Letter L it is then....is there no dash between the letter "L" and "3708"?
4. 6,500 miles it is then.

thanks....we're getting closer on these now.

·
Registered
3,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
I believe the textual content on these labels are now accurate and complete (although this is based on only one person's feedback and photos of some poor original labels).

Slide1.jpg

Slide2.jpg

Now the next thing will be to get the font style and size correct so that the ARTWORK for this is accurate and true to the original.

Does anyone have any ideas on the best way to tackle this phase of this mini task?

·
Registered
438 Posts
I will contact a member 116_Veloce may be he can reproduce these . I sent to him email

Thx

·
Registered
520 Posts
i can help with that! its my expertise.

i have all of these fonts. including the one used by toyota, the one for Nissan, Infiniti, and Acura and about ten thousand others.

took me minutes to do and now im no longer a leecher on these forums!. sweet. finally...

ive added a background (both colors sampled directly from photos) for effect, but the illustrator file has it transparent (your sticker-printer will only take an illustrator AI file if he knows what he is doing. IM me with email address to send it to.)

Attachments

·
Registered
520 Posts
actually a PDF file will work as well. forgot about that. attached here.

my brother has a sticker printer machine. maybe i should get with him and produce resto stickers. i cant believe how much theyre charged for online... a whole set couldnt take longer than 4 hours to layout, tops. and its good forever.

hmm...

Attachments

• Image uploading. Refresh page to view
    187.3 KB Views: 700

·
Registered
3,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
"the _sicilian"...that's looks much better than mine. Now (and I hope I"m not sounding too picky about this) but, could the "FISPA" text be a little fatter? (check the photos and I think you'll know what I mean).

Also there is one other thing that I wonder about and Osso kind of pointed this out to me indirectly....the original air cleaner may have had the label inked on, perhaps via rubber stamp.

Is it worth looking into this option?

·
Registered
857 Posts
I've looked into it. Thing is I can't make just one decal, it'll cost way too much. I'll keep this thread in mind for the graphics.

·
Registered
3,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Can you give a cost/qty number requirement? It may take a while to see if there is sufficient interest from the membership on this BB. But I'd be interested in 3 sets.

·
Registered
520 Posts
goto kinkos.com and print it to transparent plastic (you can pick it up two hours later). spray adhesive and your good.

you should set it up so that its tiled across a single page, so you get about ten of them.

1 - 20 of 115 Posts