Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks,

I'm in the process of rebuilding the wiper linkage on my 69 Roundtail Spider and need a picture of a correctly assembled assembly. The PO took this one apart and tossed it in a box with no info on the correct orientation of the linkages. Thanks so much.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Biba and Osso, thanks a million for the pics. I’ll be able to make quick work of the wiper rack now.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Eric,

Here are some additonal photos to help with the reassembly. The first is the wiper assembly fully together. Some of the others show the drive arm not hooked up to the motor to make the conections easier to see, and some closeups of the connections. The finishes are all the correct to the original with the minor exception of the attachment rivets on the bushing housings on the bar ends which I painted black for expedience. The original assembly is a mixure of black paint, gold zinc (or cad) and metal bluing/blackening. The rubber caps fit over the conical washers at the top of the joints. I've not found another source for these, but I suggest contacting one of the Alfa parts sellers like Highwood Alfa or Classic Alfa in the UK, although it is possible that one of the US suppliers will have them.

*Important! When installing the wiper assembly, first remove the wiper motor from the assembly. Put that in place in the cowl, and then insert the rest of the assembly into place and attach the motor. If you attempt to install it in one piece, you will at a minimum scrape up the paint on the wiper assembly and on the paint inside the cowl!

Hope this is helpful.

Chuck

Attachments

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
Nice work Chuck. Are those seals and rubbers new then on your assembly? and are you saying you were able to source the seals and rubbers from these suppliers or just suggesting that they may have these?

·
Certified Oldschooler
7,074 Posts
Chuck, most of my wiper linkage arms/linkages parts are a silver-gray zinc plate. The only paint is red overspray form a bad paint job by the PO. Just FYI. Yours are looking nice and clean! Nice work!

·
Registered
330 Posts
Nice work Chuck. Are those seals and rubbers new then on your assembly? and are you saying you were able to source the seals and rubbers from these suppliers or just suggesting that they may have these?
Thanks guys,

The rubber caps are the originals, but I did replace the pivot joint seals with new o-rings. I don't know were to get the top caps but the UK vendors seem to have some of the more obscure parts, so I figured it was worth mentioning.

The black finish on the arms...etc. on this assembly were definitely factory black. Stan Murray had told me the one on his 67 had a metal finish. Bruce, I wonder if your car being early in the 69 series used the metal finish and then there was a switch to the black by the time my car came off the line.

Chuck

·
Certified Oldschooler
7,074 Posts
I also do not recall any "hollow" pieces on the linkages. Yea, while S/N's are not perfect indicators of exact chronology, my Born On Date per Storico was Jan 10, '69 (S/N 323) so that makes it an early one. Several subtle differences to later ones we've noted through various threads.

·
Premium Member
2,844 Posts
Installed the new wiper arms and....

....flipped the switch.
At which point the wiper bushings split.

Anyone know a source?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.