Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Certified Oldschooler
7,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Working on replacing the convertible top and restoring the frame. Thought I'd show the handle pieces while they were apart in case anyone is even remotely interested in seeing it. These are cleaned but not yet refinished.

I'll be re-bluing the inner spring metal strap but painting the end brackets and the top hold down strap loop thingie. The J-hooked Velcro on the top hold-down strap is shot and will replace that.

I'm missing one plastic end-cover cap (goes over the metal strap attachment bracket). It's about 1 1/4" L x 1" W x 3/8" H (sloped). If anyone knows where a spare is hiding, I'd appreciate a lead. PM or e-mail, thanks, Bruce

Attachments

·
Certified Oldschooler
7,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Almost Finished Reinstall

Here is the assembly refinished and reinstalled. The two black plastic caps (that go over the strap end metal brackets) are not installed as there is some foam under the vinyl that pushes them up and off. I'm sorting that now.

Note the little Velcro covered metal bracket at the back of the tunnel (below the parcel shelf) that holds the Velcro strap when it is not in use.

Attachments

·
Registered
59 Posts
This is really interesting, on a couple of notes. This is the first time i have seen the hold down strap. I was expecting a stretchy rubber strap. Also I always wondered why there was that fuzzy strip on the front of the parcel shelf. A third thing I never knew was there were (missing on mine) plastic covers for the ends of the handle brackets.

Do you think it is possible to post the dimensions of that strap so that I could reproduce one for my '69? Key dimensions are the width, length overall, length and position of the two velcro halves, and the length of the stiched portion at the D ring. The photo does not have enough contrast to make out the details.

An item of note, on my header where the handle attaches, it had a black cloth (seemed like cotton) with the weave very similar to the convertible top cloth. I replaced it with an acrylic black cloth that I got at an awning supplier. It is also very similar to Sunbrella acrylic cloth used on boat covers. The weave and appearance was perfect. I think that would eliminate the problem of the puffy vinyl interfering with the plastic clips on yours.

Can anyone confirm the correct material on the header? Fabric or vinyl?

By the way, did I see your car last week in Austin at the club event?

Mine is the spider that conked out a block away, s/n 1480371.

-Harold
69 spider owned since 1987
87 milano 3.0 (s/n 00005) owned 1989-2005

·
Certified Oldschooler
7,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I understand that later models had the sketchy rubber straps but a 69 at least had a nice thick tight weave black nylon webbing strap. The "D" ring in the picture attaches to the little bent finger hook in the middle of the rear parcel shelf. The strap goes up, through the 1 1/2" wide bracket on he header and down back on itself on the Velcro.

The measurements: the overall strap is 20". The double back looped around the "D" ring is 2" and it is stitched around the overlap and an "X" across. The "D" ring sits in a narrow pocket. This makes the strap 18" plus the "D" ring. The webbing is 1 3/8" wide (it has to go through the metal bracket on the header). At the far end from the "D" ring is 5" of the "J" part of Velcro sewn around the perimeter of the Velcro. There is 1 3/4" of gap, and on the same side is 5 1/4" of the fuzzy part of the Velcro. That leaves abut 6" from the end of that Velcro piece to the end by the "D" ring. Your dimensions may vary and you can measure on yours. The 1 3/4" open part should loop around the bracket with no Velcro engaged underneath or around the bracket. I understand the purpose of this strap is to hold the top down so that the top does not move and chaffe. Some say it's so the top doesn't fly up also.

My original top had top material (that was turned over as you say) on the header. It had that fine herringbone weave look. There was no padding so my recent top installer did not get that part right with either the vinyl or padding. Now it's caused the clip covers (the two little plastic covers) not to fit and the top handle to not articulate in and out of the end brackets properly. Bugger. Since I painted the metal handle brackets and screws black it's not so fatal, especially since I use the top boot cover when it's down. The two plastic covers are standing by for use when I sort out what to do.

Let me know if you need any pics of any of this. I could send higher resolution pics by e-mail.

Yes that was me at the last Car's and Coffee at Mozart's and I made the tour. I heard we lost two Roundtails early on and one left after the rest stop. I hope to be at the next one so you can inspect this strap yourself. In fact. I'm putting on a Brauts and Beer at the lakehouse after the November Mozart's gig. Peter & I would like to get that fraternity of 5 Roundtails together again for some close inspection and glamor shots. You lean on John some. See post in THCC folder. See ya. Bruce

·
Registered
59 Posts
Bruce,

Thanks for the dimensions and description. I was able to reproduce it. Finding the odd width of webbing, velcro and D-ring were difficult. Now I have enough material to make as many as I wish.

Here is the strap, followed by a picture on the car. I found that I needed to add 1.5 in. to the length for best fit, so this is actually #2.

Attachments

·
Certified Oldschooler
7,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wow, that's really nice work! Now for those two end caps. I bet you could make a bunch of these straps and sell the on the BB and e-Bay! Mine actually seems a bit snug and the Velcro is under the bracket so it might have shrunk over time. I hear we all do. That's why I said, "Your dimensions may vary and you can measure on yours." above. Always best to measure twice and cut once. Let's try to get together and compare notes when we can. I'm trying to do the Brauts & Beer after the next Mozart's (see thread). Nice work! Bruce

·
Registered
6,598 Posts
Great thread !!
Now I realize that I'm missing the "top hold down strap bracket thingee" that mounts to the header. Have a nice strap, but never had anything to strap it to !!
Anyone have a spare ??
Randy

·
Certified Oldschooler
7,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I don't have a spare. Do you have the handle but just not the bracket for the top hold-down strap? I saw a selection of 2 or 3 top handles on e-Bay recently but they did not have the straps or the brackets. Perhaps APE?

You could easily bend one up out of flat stock and grind the radiuses on it. Harold or I could provide dimensions. The header is steel and you can either see holes in the black covering material or "feel' them through any new covering (I probed with a sewing needle in the approximate locations).

Do you have the little tuft of Velcro over metal that mounts to the front of the parcel shelf above the tunnel to hold the strap when not in use? Inquire if needed.

I'm not sure how true 67 Duettos did this. Someone once showed me a loop of brown leather belt and tried to convince me it was OE, so I thought this thread was in order.

·
Registered
6,598 Posts
Thanks.
I have everything but the bracket on the header. APE doesn't seem interested in finding small parts for me, so I will have to look elsewhere.
Randy

·
Certified Oldschooler
7,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Last time I called for some small stuff he said I was welcome to stop by and find it. He had piles and drums full of stuff. I'm in Austin! Perhaps next trip out to Orange County (was at HB for a month this summer). It would be pretty easy to bend one up. Bruce

·
Registered
3,899 Posts
I'm missing this too....oh well, another thing to long for:)

·
Certified Oldschooler
7,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Did the Duetto (67) come with this system to hold the top down and secure? All you really need to find is the handle stuff (3 sets on e-Bay recently). You can fab the strap like Harold did (perhaps he did a spare??) and the strap bracket out of some flat barstock and grinding. Bruce

·
Certified Oldschooler
7,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Randy, here is a different view of that little bracket. It looks to be a cast material with the porosity defects (before painting). And for others, the little tuft of Velcro glued over a metal strip, ~ 3/4" w x 1 1/4" long, that sits below the parcel shelf above the tunnel to hold the strap when not in use. Lastly, a poor shot of he parcel shelf "bent finger" that holds the "D" ring. This protrudes through a slit in the rear drape when finished. I am still curious, does a 67 Duetto have this assembly? Bruce

Attachments

·
Certified Oldschooler
7,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Just round the edges per the OE so it doesn't chafe the strap. Can you wing dimensions or can Harold & I get them?

·
Registered
6,598 Posts
No problem with dimentions. Holes for the screws ahould be in the top header and I have the strap.
Thanks Guys!

·
Certified Oldschooler
7,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Perhaps Peter can make you an offer to make two, one for him? And if Harold has a spare strap? Peter - was this style used on a 67? I gather it was by the interest. Bruce

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
66 & 67 Duetto's

Bruce
In reply to your repeated question: NO, the 66 & 67 Duetto’s used a slightly different soft-top handle arrangement and retaining strap bracket.

The attached pics will demonstrate the differences. The fine nylon web strap material with Velcro is the same. The strap bracket that is screwed to the front crossbow is obviously different from yours. This is likely the reason that you find the strap to be a little short.
The plastic end caps covering the soft-top handle are not used. The 66 & 67 Duetto’s use a steel cap; painted satin/chassis black.
These pics also show the previously mentioned fine herringbone fabric which covers the front bow. While not truly a herringbone weave, it is distinctive. As pictured, this is somewhat faded; it was charcoal black when new.

Attachments

·
Certified Oldschooler
7,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ahhhh, thanks. This for our similar but slightly different Duetto owners out there who do not have this paraphernalia but want to replace it. I had a guy tel me the caps were metal and now I now why, they were on the 67. I've seen that bracket before also, it wouldn't be that hard to fab. Actually the material covering the header on mine was the same as you describe. I figured it was top material turned upside down. Unfortunately it was bodged in being replaced on mine recently (didn't discuss that with the installer; you need to discuss every aspect if having it done out). Thanks for posting this. Bruce

PS: those look like chrome visor brackets vs. plastic on a 69.

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
Duetto visor hardware

Bruce
I can assure you that the 1966 and 67 Duettos were originally fitted with chromed metal sun visor hardware.
Exactly when the change to black plastic occurred ... I'll leave that for others to discuss. ;)

1 - 20 of 31 Posts