Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am replacing the 1/4 OD inch lines from the brake reservoir to the floor mounted master cylinder. The ends that connect to the reservoir have a flared end soldered to the tubing. Please see pictures below.

Does anyone know where these are (if) available?

Attachments

·
Registered
69 Posts
Brake line part

I believe that In-Line-Tube will make this part for you if you want to send them your old line to duplicate. I sent them my old lines and they sent back exact copies. I was very pleased with their work product.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
roundtail brake line

Thank You,

As usual the Alfa BB community is great. Two solutions to my problem in less than a day.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
69 brakes

The project continues...

I am now moving on to replace more lines in the brake system. The 3/16 lines from the MC to the gizmo on the firewall are in mixed condition. one is probably original and one was replaced. The replacement line may not be correct as it was difficult to remove. May have damaged the threads. Does someone know what is the correct thread and type of end flair?

Also, what is the proper name of the gizmo on the firewall? What does it do in addition to electrical functions. I assume it is wired for brake warning lights. Anything else? Picture below. Is this available new? Are the electrical parts available?

As usual, TIA

Attachments

·
Trained (ex)Professional, , 1953-2018 RIP,
16,232 Posts
The device has a few different names depending on where in the world one is/who made it, etc. I call it a Brake Pressure Differential Valve or BPDV. The manufacturer, ATE, calls it a Differential Pressure Warning switch (DPW).
From memory, all the lines and the two brake light switches on the front use a 10mm x 1.0mm thread. The switch on top is, I think, 12mm x something. The lines use a standard ISO bubble flare.
Your BPDV is unique in that it has three switches and was used for the 1969 model year only; all USA Alfas 1971 and up have only the single switch on top like yours does. The single switch on top of all BPDVs, when activated by the BPDV upon detecting a hydraulic pressure loss in one of the two brake circuits, provides the ground circuit for the brake failure warning light on the dash. The 1969 BPDV also provides a convenient location for the two hydraulically activated brake light switches. Although activated by hydraulics, the device serves no hydraulic purpose whatsoever.
The brake light switches are available new from your favorite Alfa vendor and the switch on top is available through Porsche (can provide the part number if you need it).
The BPDVs are not available new but I've rebuilt a number of them over the years and would be happy to assist you.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Hi papajam,
Have you had any experience with Benditalia valves?
I'm wondering because I've recently found a similar unit on my Alfetta; it looks just the same as the one from this thread:

·
Registered
491 Posts
Lately, I tried myself a possible BPDV/PDWA replacement option and it worked! I hope it will be useful for others. It's the same type valve for Volvo 240-ish:

Volvo Brake Proportioning Valve 1228675 - MTC 395 - Free Shipping

It fits just right, even though it's twice as wide as a Benditalia valve. The most important is that all ports are European bubble flare type with M10x1.0 thread; just plug the unused ones and refit the lines!

P.S. Sorry for not showing how it looks on the Alfetta firewall.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts