Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New owner of a 69 1750 GTV, US spec, car is just finishing an engine rebuild in my local shop and they noted the rear sway bar is missing. Car was knocking pretty good before the rebuild so no real chance to experience the handling yet as it went in right after purchase and will be a few weeks before I get it back. Have scanned the threads here and seems pretty common to pull this, particularly by the AX crowd. Car is only for "enthusiastic" street, interested on comments on handling with, or without. Throw one back on, or leave it off?

Ken

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
I too am interested in the answer to this question as I'm currently rebuilding my rear suspension. I've removed, cleaned and disassembled everything and am waiting on new bushes prior to reassembly.
Chris

·
Registered
36 Posts
Interesting..
Note that Alfaholics say:
We recommend the removal of the rear anti-roll bar and replacing certain bushes with the polyurethane equivalent.
But this is when installing one of their fast road kits (stiffer springs and front swaybar).

·
Registered
4,762 Posts
New owner of a 69 1750 GTV, US spec, car is just finishing an engine rebuild in my local shop and they noted the rear sway bar is missing. Car was knocking pretty good before the rebuild so no real chance to experience the handling yet as it went in right after purchase and will be a few weeks before I get it back. Have scanned the threads here and seems pretty common to pull this, particularly by the AX crowd. Car is only for "enthusiastic" street, interested on comments on handling with, or without. Throw one back on, or leave it off?

Ken
Hello Ken, should you decide to put on on, I may have one for you. Used and may need bushings. Just let me know. Are the correct bolts to pick up the lower connector rod bushing still there? These go through the rear trailing arm silent blocs?

Ciao

Ken

·
Premium Member
15,009 Posts
I have IAP red springs and red Koni's on my Spider. Removing the rear sway bar improved the handling by reducing oversteer. I have poly bushings just about everywhere.

·
Registered
5,303 Posts
...Removing the rear sway bar improved the handling by reducing oversteer. ..
Reducing oversteer changes the handling; some of us, on some tracks, like having oversteer - it allows faster exits from slow corners. You just have to pay attention to not go off the course. Of course, it does matter how much oversteer - but that is more about tire traction and engine power. Four wheels sliding at full throttle is a pretty good exit.

The difference between oversteer and understeer is only which end goes thru the fence if you are already going too fast. It's the "going too fast" part that puts you thru the fence....

:D

Robert

·
Premium Member
15,009 Posts
Hi Robert,
My car was very tail happy. It still is to some extent. I can definitely exit on ramps faster without the sway bar. Richard Jemison advised me to remove it. He was right, as usual.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
I don't mind a bit of oversteer - I reckon it's safer than understeer - though I must admit, in general I drive the Alfa quite sedately. I've invested too much time in it to thrash it - I have other cars for that.

If I don't refit the anti-roll bar, I'll have to find somewhere in my shed to store it. For me at least, it'll be easier to 'store' it in its original place.

Chris

·
Administrator
14,978 Posts
If you have installed poly bushes in the rear suspension of a 105 series Alfa Romeo, then you might as well remove the rear anti-roll bar. The poly bushes will restrict the rear body roll far more than the little anti-roll bar ever would have.

Michael Schumacher once said, give me a chassis with grip and I'll sort out the rest (or something like that). Thus on a car without a LSD I imagine it would potentially be quicker on the track without a rear anti-roll bar as when cornering hard one would assume the anti-roll bar would be trying to lift the inside wheel, thus promoting wheel spin. But it really depends on how roll resistent the front of the car is.

If I was race preparing a 105 series, it would have no rear anti-roll bar ... at first.
Pete

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Kengta

Hello Ken, should you decide to put on on, I may have one for you. Used and may need bushings. Just let me know. Are the correct bolts to pick up the lower connector rod bushing still there? These go through the rear trailing arm silent blocs?

Ciao

Ken
Ken,

Not sure what is or isn't there at this point as the car has been living at the shop for weeks, and I haven't had a chance to get under and see. Appreciate the offer though, and may come back to you on this. Likely another few weeks before she comes home though, MC is off to the states to get re-sleeved.

Given everyones comments, guessing I'll need some miles with it in current state before deciding. Hopefully I get a few weeks of decent weather in Oct before the snow flies and stays so I can get that chance.

Ken NL

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Thus on a car without a LSD I imagine it would potentially be quicker on the track without a rear anti-roll bar as when cornering hard one would assume the anti-roll bar would be trying to lift the inside wheel, thus promoting wheel spin.
My 1750 is fitted with the optional LSD.

Chris

1 - 11 of 11 Posts