Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since my shop (Autostrada) is identified in the ad I thought I’d contribute some background on it for people potentially interested in it. Firstly it is a race car and it would be foolish to consider reverting it to street use. As such it’s a good one with all the right parts and setup. Most of its race history is here in the PNW with the local club Sovren. From here it went back east and has passed through several hands without seeing much if any track use. At the right price and with a little luck someone could have a very nice race car for themselves. Biggest question in my mind would center around the condition of the motor. A professional check of both the compression and leakdown would certainly be a good place to start.

·
Premium Member
1,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
These on line auctions are fascinating to me. I think the buyer got a pretty good deal but the engine would be a big question mark to me. I would have insisted on at least a compression check and leakdown which the seller even offered to do. Also not one person asked about the huge hole in the roof where there used to be a sliding sunroof. An expensive thing to repair properly but hopefully will be done some day? Word to the wise, if you’re going to buy a car sight unseen at least have a PPI done.

·
Registered
1969 GTV Race Car
1 Posts
Fred, your points are all very valid. Perhaps I had more faith in the engine builder than you do!!;).

Actually, I found out about this late in the game and had to take a chance - there wasn't enough time to get the p/o to do the tests - and besides I had fallen in love with it anyway.

And as far as that "sunroof" goes, I am of the age that I saw many good cars destroyed by the installation of a stupid leaky sunroof sometime in the mid to late 70's, so I am probably bothered less by it than others. Worth fixing for concourse, not so much for a racer IMHO.

The car is checking out good. I dont remember the compression #'s Bob told me but leakdown was 5% on 1,3,& 4 and 8% on 2. Needs front wheel bearings and we are doing brake hydraulics & electric fan. We'll see how well it holds together this year - I'm a novice driver and plan to take it pretty easy.

I'm honored you were part of the build, and hope to speak with you in the future.

I feel I got a good buy, and it is going to be the perfect vintage race car for me.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts