Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone recommend a source for a new windshield for a 69 GTV gasket style? Preferably someone in the New England area. thx,Steve

·
Super Moderator
10,817 Posts
My advice would be to get hold of a guy named Richard Tankel, who used to own an automotive glass sourcing business in Andover, Mass. Richard has closed his business, ProSource Glass, but I believe that he is still involved in auto glass.

I bought a couple windshields from ProSource (including one for a Sprint GT) and am a happy customer. Richard has a BB user name ("prosourceglass") though he hasn't posted in the past 5 months. You could try opening a conversation with him, or do some more research to track him down.

·
Premium Member
343 Posts
I saw Richard Tankel last month. He has closed his business (ProSource), and has no GTV glass left.

I have not found any other source of GTV glass here in New England.
I am looking into a group buy on front glass because I think $500 plus shipping is too high.

As part of this I asked Richard if he would put in a one-time order with his supplier for a group buy. Unfortunately, Richard said he is too busy at the current time.

I do have names for some glass companies that manufacture GTV windshields. The first one said they only sell to existing commercial clients. I’ve written them asking for a list of commercial resellers in my area.

Haven’t contacted the other companies yet.

John

·
Registered
33 Posts
This is a great thread and one I will follow. Just took a rather ginormous boulder to the windshield last week so am in the market. Hope to watch this thread evolve.

·
Premium Member
21,839 Posts
Pilkington maybe? If they have a depot near you they will internally truck it to that depot, you pick up there, for a flat fee. I did that for my Tiger.
Andrew

·
Premium Member
343 Posts
Pilkington maybe? If they have a depot near you they will internally truck it to that depot, you pick up there, for a flat fee. I did that for my Tiger.
Andrew
I called them a month ago, and was told they no longer sell to non-commercial customers.

I’ll call again to see if I got told the right info.

John

PS I guess the minimum order to make a shipping work out is 10-15 pieces. Then we need to add the cost of individual boxes ($25) if people want a safe way to transport without breakage. Shipping from the point of receipt will still be $$. So if I setup a group buy it is probably practical only for New England or folks who want multiple pieces (you can fit 3 in a box, but then it’s pretty heavy).

·
Premium Member
21,839 Posts
Does Centerline deal with glass any longer? Jon Norman used to, then stopped, now he does again. But he's here in Berkeley, not convenient to where you are. Mr Fiat might have it, but oh boy the $$.
Andrew

·
Premium Member
1,336 Posts
This may not directly help, but my local mobile windscreen fitter here in downtown metropolis (joke) of Hobart Tas, Aus, sourced a newly Chinese-made windscreen For my GTV from Australian held stock for under AUD200 (USD140). I got the tint strip whether I wanted it or not, but it shows somebody is still making them.
A quick search for the FY branded screen I have installed yielded results for Fuyao glass. Keep asking questions.

·
Registered
294 Posts
I was going to recommend Pilkington as well. I bought a gtv windshield from them 2 years ago. I picked up at their local warehouse saving freight costs. Slick. If they don’t sell directly any longer one would think they’d share who their dealers are. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I talked with Richard Tankel and he refereed me to "MYGRANT" Glass in Methuen MA. When I spoke with them they said they were strictly wholesale. (they had 6 in stock ) Maybe if you work with a local Body shop they should be able to order it for you. I asked if the glass was OEM and they said no. I then asked if it came from China and they were honest enough to say yes. I have been told by a few people that the Chinese glass is junk and to stay away if possible because it can be wavy. Not sure if it's true, but this is what I was told by a reputable alfa person.
Mygrant Glass - Warehouse Locations

It looks like MR. Fiat has glass. They claim that the glass is OEM and comes from Finland. ($650 + $90 shipping) Sounds like this is the only option at the moment as Classic Alfa will not ship glass across the pond.
Alfa Romeo GT Junior GTV Windshield Rubber Type OEM - Glass and Seals - -GTV - Alfa Romeo - Italian Cars

·
Super Moderator
10,817 Posts
I have been told by a few people that the Chinese glass is junk and to stay away if possible because it can be wavy. Not sure if it's true, but ....
I suspect that's an urban legend. I'm not saying that I know the quality level of the glass sold by Mygrant in Methuen - maybe it is wavy. But I don't think you can generalize to say that all Chinese glass is junk.

I recall some posts here on the BB written by Richard Tankel saying that much of the automotive glass used in new cars comes from China. Use the BB's advanced search function, entering "Chinese" as the key word and "prosourceglass" as the user name, and you will find multiple threads on this subject.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I had an Audi a few years ago that the glass got hit. Insurance company replaced it twice with wavy glass before I demanded OE glass. The garbage was Chinese. Not saying all Chinese stuff is garbage, but they aren’t known for being the best at anything.
I too need some glass for a 71 GTV. I bought a piece from Pinkerton last year, and it was about $550 shipped. So Mr. Fiat doesn’t sound bad. Will Alfaholics ship to States?

·
Premium Member
343 Posts
China: quality is entirely dependent on you willingness to ask and pay for quality. Mfg capability in China is second to none wrt most automotive parts. Companies who go to China solely for lowest cost will get junk.

Glass: my feeling is glass is 1/2 as much in Europe. ProSource was selling GTV glass for 40% less than other USA Alfa vendors. Therefore,I’d like to find a way to buy direct from Europe, as long as the required quantities are manageable via a New England area group buy.

Why just New England? I’ve seen what it takes to box individual windshields for safe shipping. And it’s not trivial, so it’s something I want to avoid.

·
Premium Member
343 Posts
This may not directly help, but my local mobile windscreen fitter here in downtown metropolis (joke) of Hobart Tas, Aus, sourced a newly Chinese-made windscreen For my GTV from Australian held stock for under AUD200 (USD140). I got the tint strip whether I wanted it or not, but it shows somebody is still making them.
A quick search for the FY branded screen I have installed yielded results for Fuyao glass. Keep asking questions.
Are you happy with the quality and fit of the FU glass?

·
Premium Member
343 Posts
Fwiw
I called Pilkington’s replacement glass customer support twice, trying to find a local retailer. Twice they said they do not give out information of where their products can be purchased and/or installed. I was told,”sorry but you just have to start calling around until you find a retail glass business who has an account with us.” Feels like big corporation thinking has taken a hold.

·
Premium Member
343 Posts
Update:

Richard Tankel, prime example of a really nice guy, put me in touch with an old buddy of his in the glass business, Ira at Glass Seekers.

Ira said that if we were willing to pick up unboxed glass from a warehouse his price was $350 per. The warehouse is here in MA, about 40 min from my house. This is the same wholesaler Steve mentions in a previous post (mygrant). The price is for one piece or 5, so no need for a group buy. I think we could negotiate a lower price ( $300??) if we bought 4-6 pieces. I say this because I got a hint from a little bird that the wholesale price was closer to $200.

Glass seekers said boxed glass with shipping and insurance is probably over $600 per for commercial delivery addresses.

Details: mfr is YF Glass a Chinese company that is an OEM supplier to European, American and Asian OEM’s (Bentley gets some of their OE glass from YF). I was told much of Alfa GTV glass in the USA is from this company, and that Prosouce sold glass from YF.

I would prefer Italian glass (with etching to prove it). As a second choice I would prefer European made glass (sekurit, saint gobain, etc). FWIW, I have been doing automotive OEM business in China for 20 years and if you insist on and pay for quality then it is possible to get equal to parts made in the USA and Europe. The reputationof bad quality stems from companies going to China demanding for lowest price, so most Chinese mfr are optimized for and focused on cheap at the expense of quality.

I can wait a month before I’ll need my glass so I’m going to try for a few days to find an auto glass shop that can get European sources windshields. I did try the AR dealer and they said I need the 17 digit vin regardless of the age of the vehicle. Parts guy is probably 25 years old....

·
Super Moderator
10,817 Posts
I would prefer Italian glass (with etching to prove it). As a second choice I would prefer European made glass (sekurit, saint gobain, etc).
Well sure, but are any European companies still making glass for 50 year old cars?

the YF glass has a tinted strip across the top.
That could be a deal breaker. I wonder how pronounced the tint is? I'm not one of these purists who demands an untinted windshield; back when Prosource Glass will still in business, Richard got me a uniformly-tinted Pilkington windshield that looks (and fit) fine. The tint really isn't noticable. But a dark tinted strip across the top would be a no no.

I did try the AR dealer and they said I need the 17 digit vin regardless of the age of the vehicle. Parts guy is probably 25 years old....
Haw haw, that's pretty funny. What if you gave him eleven leading zeros followed by your six-digit VIN?

·
Premium Member
1,336 Posts
Bfeng asked: ‘Are you happy with the quality and fit of the FY glass?‘ (Autocorrect keeps wanting to write FU, which is slightly weird.)

Well, it fitted. The installer didn’t seem to have any difficulty, and there’s no waviness, bar a barely detectable section on the tightest bend, near the base of the A-pillar.
Yes, mine has the Blue/green strip tint, extending about 50mm down the screen. I don’t mind it at all, but that’s me. I DID see in another windscreen thread a FY screen that was clear, so they must do those too.
To be honest, I was happy to get one at all here in OZ, and particularly for the price. I’ll let the next owner throw concourse dollars at the car.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts