Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My console lights are very dim. Is there an adjustment for this? Or do I have a bad connection?

·
Registered
3,618 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
brightening the dials

The article referred to by 1750GT is indeed excellent but looks quite a bit of work. I just fitted new standard bulbs from my local store, and lined the inner surfaces with foil duct tape.
The instruments have a period orangey look, but now merit my pressing the 'dim' button when out of town. The effort was not too great; they needed a clean-up anyway. The result was very satisfactory.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks you all for your replies!

They're uniformly dim.. the thread for brighter instrument lights looks promising. I think I will first try the direct replacement LED type bulbs to see how they work out.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
High Beam Lever

Hi Guys,

To turn on the high beams, is the lever supposed to be in the up position or down?

I ask because my head lights are miss wired. With the lever down I have low beams and fog light on. Fog light switch doesn't do anything.

With lever up, I have high beams on and fog lights are off. Fog light switch activates fog lights.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Hi,
My car is a '74 and I don't know if any of what I say is different for a '69:
- have you checked if you have a dimmer for the dash lights ? The '74 does, it has a spiralling white arrow on it if my memory isn't off (car's downstairs in the garage, I didn't go to check).
- re the high beams / low beams / fogs, at least I think your car's wiring has been changed. I believe my car works correctly according to the wiring diagram. It does this:
Lever down is for high beams.
Fog beams will go off when high beams are on, regardless of what you do with the fog light switch.
Fog lights will work with the fog light switch whenever at least the parking lights are on (if I remember correctly), but the high beams are NOT on.
Lever up is the position for low beams.
/Neil

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi,
My car is a '74 and I don't know if any of what I say is different for a '69:
- have you checked if you have a dimmer for the dash lights ? The '74 does, it has a spiralling white arrow on it if my memory isn't off (car's downstairs in the garage, I didn't go to check).
- re the high beams / low beams / fogs, at least I think your car's wiring has been changed. I believe my car works correctly according to the wiring diagram. It does this:
Lever down is for high beams.
Fog beams will go off when high beams are on, regardless of what you do with the fog light switch.
Fog lights will work with the fog light switch whenever at least the parking lights are on (if I remember correctly), but the high beams are NOT on.
Lever up is the position for low beams.
/Neil
Thank you for your post. I think you are correct, my wiring is mixed up. I played with head lights on thursday using a volt meter. I think the problem is at the relay.. when they painted the car, they must of connected the wires incorrectly to relay. The high beam is turning on low beam and low beam the high beam. When parking lights on are, fog light switch turns on the low beam :D LOL.. Will play with it tomorrow some more.

·
Premium Member
5,598 Posts
Here is the factory arrangement from the owner's manual:

Stalk.jpg

Fog light.jpg

I believe the USA version differs from the Euro version. A lot of folks modify the switches to allow independent use of the fog lights. Sounds like someone "tried" to do that to your car. If you don't have it, get a copy of Papajam's invaluable wiring diagram. The wiring for these cars is pretty simple. It's made much harder when they've been modified...

·
Registered
`61 Giulietta Spider, `65 Giulia Ti 1750, `69 GT junior 1600, `73 Spider 2000, `74 GTV 2000, `98 156
1,865 Posts
Interesting. We have a blaze of all four lights on when high beam selected via the only control-the steering column switch. Amazing the differences between countries.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So high beam for all of you is with the lever down?

·
Premium Member
16,232 Posts
With the lever down I have low beams and fog light on.
With lever up, I have high beams on and fog lights are off.
Reversing the large green and gray wires at fuses 8 & 10 in the fusebox should set things right.

Yes, high beam is with lever down.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thank you papajam.. I'll try that tomorrow

·
Premium Member
16,232 Posts
Pleasure. :)

Another thing comes to mind. When you're at the fusebox, check to see how many small wires are on the bottom of fuses 7-10. There should be 2 wires each on fuses 7 & 8 and 1 wire each on fuses 9 & 10. Are there?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts