Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is this a standard brake 5 way junction box?

I'm having a helluva time threading a replacement brake line in there. Guessing the threads are stripped. It was very difficult to remove the stock line. Threads are the same on the replacement line. I think the threads are a M10x1.00, but I don't have a tap that size. Suggestions?

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
Undo the box from the firewall--gives you a little wiggle room. Mine was tough to get all lines started. i ended up putting the line from underneath on the box first while it was removed from the firewall, then eventually got the rest

·
Trained (ex)Professional, , 1953-2018 RIP,
16,232 Posts
Yes, that is the correct 5-port junction for a Euro 105 with single circuit brakes (1 port each for the 4 brake lines and one port for the brake light switch). The brakeline fitting size is 3/8" x 24 and I think the light switch is a 1/8" x 27 NPT.
And to provide even more wiggle room, loosen the other lines before removing the block from the firewall.
The two visible brakelines have already been replaced I see.

·
Trained (ex)Professional, , 1953-2018 RIP,
16,232 Posts
Yes, at 9.525 x 1.06, a 3/8 x 24 would indeed look very close to an M10 x 1.0. Another clue that they're 3/8 24 are the flats on the nuts of the replacement brakelines in the pic that take a 3/8" wrench (the correct 3/8 24 nut, available here, takes an 11mm wrench).

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I cannot get the new line threaded into the junction. It just won't start. Time to go get a tap and clean up the junction threads.

·
Registered
3,520 Posts
I cannot get the new line threaded into the junction. It just won't start. Time to go get a tap and clean up the junction threads.
Be careful, retapping a damaged thread may (will likely ) remove and cut away metal and thus weaken the thread holding power. Not something you want to do on a braking system, I suspect. Unfortunately I can't offer a good alternative other than to get an other block with good threads.

FWIW

Ken

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yup, I know. This is the last resort before asking around for a used junction block.

Are there new blocks that have 5 ports with the same thread pitches out there? Didn't see anything on the Summit racing site, IAP or Centerline.

This, of course, would be the ideal time to switch to a dual circuit system. But I really don't want to do that work now. This is the last thing to do before I can drive the car.

·
Out of the office!
11,206 Posts

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
Did you keep the original fittings? Try one of those and see if it fits. I just refit the old fittings to the new line. If it fits--probably not your threads

·
Registered
11,656 Posts
I'd purchase another second hand one from a wrecker. Surely won't cost much and we are talking brakes here, plus brake fluid leaks make a huge mess to the rest of your car :(.

Throw it in the bin IMO.
Pete

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
I'd be surprised if it's not harder to find one than you think.

Take it all the way off and inspect it. You should be able to tell if the threads are mangled. Maybe it's a bad lead in thread that's repairable. You can also tell if someone forced the wrong size fitting all the way up. If so, I'd treat it as junk

1 - 17 of 17 Posts