Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm now at a point where I'm trying to make my long term Berlina project roadworthy and I want to replace the front lap belts I'm currently using with shoulder belts. I had planned to replace them with generic retractables but it appears that all the retractables require 3 mounting points and my '69 Berlina only has two: one at the bottom and another near the top of the B pillar. I think I'm fine with using non-retractables like these:

Chrome Lift Lever w/Floppy End - Replacement Seat Belts for Cars, Trucks, Vans & SUVs

In fact, if they're not too cumbersome to use, I think I prefer to have the extra space on the floors. Is there supposed to be some sort of hanger to hold the pre-adjusted belt out of the way or are you supposed to take up the slack whenever you get out of the car? Or does it manage to stay out of the way on its own? Is there such a thing as a two point retractable?

Any insight, drawbacks, suggestions? This car is going to be a daily driver/beater so originality is not a big issue.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I'm confused?
The lap belt would have two bottom mounting points, one for the belt and one for the lock...yes?
and high mount point on the b pillar would be 3... yes?
What am i missing?

·
Premium Member
2,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, it's a little confusing. If you look on the same website at what they are calling 3 point belts, they are refering to 3 points on the retractable section - excluding the buckle attached to the tunnel.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Can you just attach the lap section back to the back of retractable mechanical part bolts the car. So only 3 points total are needed

·
Premium Member
2,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Can you just attach the lap section back to the back of retractable mechanical part bolts the car. So only 3 points total are needed
I went through my big box of Alfa seatbelts and couldn't figure out a way to do that. There was no way to make the retractor and the lap bracket fit on the same bolt in the needed orientation. If there is such a thing as 2 point retractables, I expect that's how they'd work. Just wondering what other people have done. Pictures would be great. I think the later Berlinas must have had 3 points. I've got a set from a 74 I parted out a few years ago but I can't make them work on the 69. Should've taken pictures when I took them out. I think there was a second mounting nut lower on the b pillar which would be somewhat difficult to install.

·
Registered
568 Posts
I've just had a look at a 2000 Berlina shell and it has one lower mounting point for the belt, just like every other car I have worked on. I am 100% certain you can make retractable 3 point belts fit your 1750.

·
Premium Member
2,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've just had a look at a 2000 Berlina shell and it has one lower mounting point for the belt, just like every other car I have worked on. I am 100% certain you can make retractable 3 point belts fit your 1750.
Thanks, that's good news. I'll have to search some restoration threads to see if I can discern the orientation. I thought I tried every permutation. Anyone got a picture?

·
Registered
372 Posts
Seat Belt

Bill,

Not sure if this is what you are looking for. In the photo, just below and to the right of the B pillar (the shiny object is the attaching screw) is the location for the lower attaching point of the seatbelt retractor (at least on a Super). There should also be an attaching point on the upper part of the B-pillar (sounds like you have that).

Not sure if that helps.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Frank. Yeah, I can find those points but I need to know how a 3 point retractable seatbelt attaches to them. Did you install retractable seatbelts in your Super? If so, a picture of how they bolt up would help. Especially a closeup of how the retractor and the end of the belt both mount to that bottom bolt.

·
Premium Member
2,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Frank,

1. Do you remember where you got the belts?

2. Is that a shoulder bolt on the bottom that allows the retractor and bracket to rotate on it?

Thanks, this is very helpful.

·
Premium Member
22,637 Posts
I have Securon belts from the UK that fit a 72 2000 Berlina perfectly. Compact-ish retractor at the base of the B-pillar, hanger/pivot at the bolt hole on the B-pillar, and short piece with receptacle on the tunnel. Used all the stock points, no drilling needed.
I 'spect the same points are there on a 69. The chrome hoop bolts onto two tunnel holes, right? I'm afraid I don't know what specific model Securon I had, and the car is long gone to the East Coast.
Andrew

·
Registered
77 Posts
Ok if you don't have the upper attachment point, I have heard of one case in New Zealand where a guilia had lap belts and changed to shoulder belts, so they drilled a hole through the upper "B" pillar and fitted a bolt right through the pillar. If a round security bolt is fitted and painted you would hardly notice it.

·
Premium Member
2,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Nick,

I do have the upper point on the B pillar. I just thought I needed two lower attaching points. Apparently I only need one lower point, as you suggested in post #4 and Hans-Peter, Frank and Andrew confirmed. I'd like to find a nice compact retractor like the one in Frank's photos. I think I'd also need the longish end bracket that he shows in order to clear the retractor.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Bill,

The belts came with the car. I don't see any obvious manufacturer info but will try to get a better look tomorrow.

·
Registered
6,892 Posts
ClassicAlfa or Alfaholics in England have nice 3 point belts that fit great in Berlinas.....

·
Premium Member
147 Posts
Bill
Hope this photo helps. I bought a generic 3 point belt and it worked fine. In the installation instructions it specifically stated NOT to attach both ends to the same bolt. (I would imagine for strength reasons). However it was my only option so I did it anyway.

Attachments

·
Registered
59 Posts
I bought the alfaholics seatbelt which is a 145 seatbelt I only had to bolt into existing holes all the nuts ect provided only took about half an hour. Had it proffessionally checked and passed all aust stds.

·
Premium Member
2,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks guys. At least I now know that it can and has been done. Not wild about the stalks on the Alfaholics belts but I may go that route. I'll browse around a bit before deciding.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts