Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have no connection to the seller and curious if anyone knows this car.

Was this the car that Roger from Santa Ana restored a few years back? Don't remember the interior and wood dash looking like this...

Alfa Romeo | eBay

·
Premium Member
1984 GTV6, 1973 Berlina, 1987 Milano
1,837 Posts
Is that the stock configuration for the coolant overflow tank on the '69?

Exterior looks great, but the interior recover is disappointing.

·
Certified Oldschooler
7,048 Posts
Yes, and Yes, and more. Who writes these ads? No defects? A 40 year old car. Give me a break.

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
Maybe those air cleaner straps are Italian plumbers tape.
Really, a solid looking car though, and I'm looking. I could not live with the horrible dash cover or that radio, even if it says Alfa Romeo on it. The front seats are particularly bad, So plain looking, but all these issues could be addressed while driving it so....I'll give a couple of days and see how crazy the price gets.

·
Registered
416 Posts
I agree. I 've noted a subtle movement in the Force in the last few weeks, with various people asking about Berlina's for sale (likely prompted by the prices on Supers), and the "crazy" red one hoping to get $30k (or $23.5). If this stays sane, someone will get a nice solid car that needs upholstery (and lots of other work, no doubt). At least he's not starting at $20k.

·
Registered
416 Posts
What's up with the position of the brake pedal??
Hard to tell the paint quality, some looks shiny, some looks rough. exterior looks complete, bumpers not banged up. Awful upholstery. Headliner good. Dash typical. Steering wheel badly cracked. still has SPICA! no fan shroud, those awful 69 only double boosters, underhood overspray. Wonder what the underside is like?
Jeez I'd buy this all day long at $5000 absent serious rust or other fatal flaws.

·
Premium Member
1984 GTV6, 1973 Berlina, 1987 Milano
1,837 Posts
Is the headliner correct? I also noticed the lack of a fan shroud, hope is hasn't overheated.

·
Registered
6,892 Posts
I was amazed by the lack of seals around the doors......
might leak a little water......
This is very close to where I live, I could go have a look if anyone is serious about bidding on it.
Be aware that it is thru a dealer and he had it listed previously for BIN @ $7999.00

·
Registered
297 Posts
I saw the car. Looks like it was painted with a brush and then color sanded right where it was sitting (the ground was green).

As Randy mentioned, the door seals are missing. In spite of this, it is a mostly complete car. The rust issues appear to be minimal, but I did not dig too deep, as I was already turned off. For me, this car would beg me for all new mechanicals, paint, and interior. Been there, done that.

Cheaper to buy the '71 off of eBay!

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Premium Member
22,996 Posts
My recollection is this belonged, in much rougher form, to a guy working for/with Dirk S several years ago. From the pics, it's a long way from stock, and I'd expect it to look worse in person that in the pics.
I'm in Boulder delivering #1 son to college so can't get at my excel notes for a couple weeks. But I know I checked the VIN when this popped up on the OC used car dealer's site a few weeks ago. It was a project car when Dirk's guy had it.
Andrew

·
Certified Oldschooler
7,048 Posts
I sensed he was just referring to the 69 dual booster configuration and the troublesome and expensive dual brake system, and not Lockheed boosters in particular. I could say the same of Bonaldi's. Whenever I look at them I see $$$$ draining into the black hole, compared to the relative ease of 2L brakes.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Jim,
To my eye the dual boosters look like a "spaghetti" plumbing job. Alfa needed a dual circuit, boosted braking system and it looks like they just threw one together with parts they had lying around, instead of coming up with a an elegant, integrated system. A year later they figured it out, so the 69 configuration just looks like a quick, temporary fix to me.

·
Trained (ex)Professional, , 1953-2018 RIP
16,232 Posts
...just looks like a quick, temporary fix to me.
I guess it depends on ones definition of temporary. To me, a production run of nine years is not temporary.

IMO, Alfa brakes systems peaked with the floor mounted tandems for a number of reasons. One is a higher, firmer pedal because the M/C is bolted to the chassis (ever observe the firewall flex in a hanging pedal system?). This means that (for me anyway) the floor pedal system is far more conducive to heel/toe-ing. Not to mention that floor pedals are adjustable to individual taste.

These floor tandem systems have been receiving bad press for decades. Some of the reasons for this, along the same lines as the multitude of Spica systems that were binned, is a lack of understanding on how the system works, can't get it work right, too expensive to fix, no parts, etc, etc. These are nothing but excuses in my book.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts