Alfa Romeo Forums banner

81 - 100 of 158 Posts

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
Was the original black on chrome?

I need to revise the initial post. Chuck has provided a lot of info. Still a few open questions though.
Thanks Chuck. Where is Stan?

Hey Bruce...better get to work!:D:D:D On your question....I don't know. I can do either. From Brian's picture, it looked like a light silver to me. But I wouldn't swear to it. Hopefully, I'll get some cartridges in by next weekend.

Best Regards,
John M

·
Certified Oldschooler
7,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #82 (Edited)
Seatbelt Logo?

Found in a picture of a 67 Duetto for sale on e-Bay. Completely different chrome (not plastic) clasp and has a dedicated recess area for it. Could be a carryover to early 69's?? I found no goo on my OE belts (Klippan clamshell type) but would have cleaned any off over 33 years of ownership anyway. I actually do not think any sticker would have been put on or stayed on the Klippan clamshell clasp as it has the "pebble" texture that would not allow it to stick well. Still open for 69's at osso's request.

Attachments

·
Out of the office!
11,156 Posts
Found in a picture of a 67 Duetto for sale on e-Bay. Completely different chrome (not plastic) clasp and has a dedicated recess area for it. Could be a carryover to early 69's?? I found no goo on my OE belts (Klippan clamshell type) but would have cleaned any off over 33 years of ownership anyway. I actually do not think any sticker would have been put on or stayed on teh Klippan clamshell clasp as it has the "pebble" texture that would not allow it to stick well. Still open for 69's at osso's request.
Those are the same belts that were on a Super I owned in the early nineties.

·
Certified Oldschooler
7,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #84 (Edited)
I did a major revision of the opening post data based on a couple of weeks of both on-line and off-line inputs. There are some 16 reasonably confirmed '69 Spider decals/stickers/silkscreens, 7 more possible and still under review, 3 discarded, and 5 plaques. Many of these would likely bleed over to a '69 GTV and Berlina or late 1750 also.

Several have alternates loosely based on VIN/production (early vs. late) date and there are a few layout alternates.

Any input, documentation and comments are much appreciated. John, Chuck, Osso, Harold and Papajam have been especially instrumental in submitting what is here. Thanks to all.

PS: I have this in a Word document and have attached it here.
-----------------------------------------------------
PSS: Deleted attached document 1/12/09. Revised. Now in Post #88

·
Certified Oldschooler
7,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #85
69 Spider Clasp-style Seatbelts

Bump and . . . found the clasp-style belts on a 69 Spider on e-Bay. See LINK. Not much response on this inquiry otherwise. Interest is determining S/N or production date cut-offs. This seems to confirm it (Chuck's and Osso's contention). Looks like an alternate.

·
Certified Oldschooler
7,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #86
Would any participants in this thread object if I eliminated all the relevant sticker ID info in Post #1, and instead just posted the Word document with this info there? It is both redundant and difficult to revise that Post with proper formatting (bold, colors, and links, etc.) every time the Word document is revised. I'll wait a couple of weeks to see if there are any issues. Tks, Bruce

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
Hey Bruce, Chuck, Osso, et al:

Got some new additions to this mix. I've got the FISPA airbox decal, the glovebox door defrost decal, the FISPA fuel filter cannister decal, and the FISPA fuel filter tag decal all created. Thought I would share some pictures/jpgs of each.

Best Regards,
John M

Attachments

·
Certified Oldschooler
7,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #88
Revised Word.doc Stickers List

Here is the revised Word documenton "Alfa Romeo US 1969 Spider - Stickers and Plaques". Updated and new info added. Next edit will eliminate this text from Post #1 and use this document instead. Will leave the related LINKS there.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
OK.....Got another conundrum.

Osso need your help on your provided picture. That dime size decal on the Klippan setup you provided a picture of, what is the dimensions of that decal and what is the colorization. Is it black on chrome, black on grey, or black on white?

For all to consider, if you go to your 69 Spider sales brochure, page 3, and blow it up you will find a black clasp similar in design to the one Bruce posted up in full chrome. This clasp has a center decal that appears to be the same as the ones on Osso's provided picture, except larger. Anyone have these original decals in place? Anyone know the sizing on these?

See what you guys think and give me some feedback please.

Thanks!

Best Regards,
John M

·
Certified Oldschooler
7,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #90
John, the early OE Klippan 69 "clamshell" type seatbelt had a chrome back piece and black plastic front lift piece. There was a black sliding button on either side to effect an adjustment. The plastic piece had a light "pebbly" texture.I vaguely recall there was a raised Klippan lettering on it?? There was no recess for a decal. I have mine is an storage cabinet and can take a pic if needed. It may have had a sticker as the sales brochure from Chuck demonstrates. Mine did not have these on in 75 when I acquired my car. Can't say if they never came or were removed. I've left the decal as "Open" for the 69 clamshell belt for now, but "Closed and present" for the Clasp-loop style belt per Osso's example.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Per the recent post from Alfanuts:
"Found in a picture of a 67 Duetto for sale on e-Bay. Completely different chrome (not plastic) clasp and has a dedicated recess area for it. Could be a carryover to early 69's?? I found no goo on my OE belts (Klippan clamshell type) but would have cleaned any off over 33 years of ownership anyway. I actually do not think any sticker would have been put on or stayed on the Klippan clamshell clasp as it has the "pebble" texture that would not allow it to stick well. Still open for 69's at osso's request.
Attached Images"

I have a sticker that looks exactly like this one. It's 1 1/8 diameter and is matte black over gold metallic. I've seen them used on the "backside/outside" of where the wing window clasp is glued to the glass.

I suppose if you had period, chrome, clamshell style belts with this logo no one could argue with you given all the variants.

John, I can send you one of these for scanning if you'd like. Not sure how it eluded me the first time through.

GMack
Frostbite Falls, MN
74 GTV
69 Spider

·
Certified Oldschooler
7,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #92
. . .
I suppose if you had period, chrome, clamshell style belts with this logo no one could argue with you given all the variants. . . .
GMack,

Do you have those chrome clasps on your 69? What's the car's S/N? See this link.

·
Registered
291 Posts
belts

Nope. Whatever came with the car were long gone when I got it. I've got some nice but incorrect belts from a series 2.

Gmack

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
Per the recent post from Alfanuts:
"Found in a picture of a 67 Duetto for sale on e-Bay. Completely different chrome (not plastic) clasp and has a dedicated recess area for it. Could be a carryover to early 69's?? I found no goo on my OE belts (Klippan clamshell type) but would have cleaned any off over 33 years of ownership anyway. I actually do not think any sticker would have been put on or stayed on the Klippan clamshell clasp as it has the "pebble" texture that would not allow it to stick well. Still open for 69's at osso's request.
Attached Images"

I have a sticker that looks exactly like this one. It's 1 1/8 diameter and is matte black over gold metallic. I've seen them used on the "backside/outside" of where the wing window clasp is glued to the glass.

I suppose if you had period, chrome, clamshell style belts with this logo no one could argue with you given all the variants.

John, I can send you one of these for scanning if you'd like. Not sure how it eluded me the first time through.

GMack
Frostbite Falls, MN
74 GTV
69 Spider
That would be great Greg. Yes please do. Do you still have my address handy? Got a couple of rare replicas to send your way too. I've recently reproduced the window mounted Cal emissions decal for the 74 GTV. And I have just recreated the rear seat decal for the GTV.

Best Regards,
John M

·
Registered
330 Posts
Here is the FISPA fuel filter decal that John made for the fuel filter cannister. The first photo is the original printing, the second is the new decal mounted (any wavyness in the image is the photo not the graphic) and the final photo the complete assembly.

This is a water slide decal. I first clear coated the cannister with satin clear, although this step may not have been needed. I then applied the decal, let it dry for a day and then clear coated over the cannister with satin clear. The decal itself is invisible. All that is seen is the printing. The color and graphics are a very good. Great job John!

BTW - John has also reproduced the FISPA tag (decal form) that goes on the top of the cannister assembly.

Attachments

·
Registered
193 Posts
Fuel filter decal

Chuck,
Did you appy the sticker to the metal cannister or the plastic cover? looks nice!
My plastic cover is split like most of them.

Steve

·
Registered
330 Posts
Chuck,
Did you appy the sticker to the metal cannister or the plastic cover? looks nice!
My plastic cover is split like most of them.

Steve
Thanks Steve.

I was fortunated enough to find one without splits and no printing at all. I have seen a couple of these, so either the print was removed with solvent or they were also made later without the printing (before the blue cannisters), but that's just a guess. I know a lot of them have split. I rounded up a few before finding this one on ebay. So I was able to print it on the black plastic outer cover of the cannister.

These things are constructed of a steel bowl with the black plastic cover glued on. To refurbish, I would suggest removing the pastic from the steel bowl, cleaning away the glue. The plastic pieces could then be rebonded, sanded and painted over, then reglued to the steel bowl. Other than that, maybe just look around on ebay for one in good enough condition to work with.

81 - 100 of 158 Posts