Alfa Romeo Forums banner

61 - 80 of 158 Posts

·
Certified Oldschooler
7,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #61 (Edited)
I could mount it on magnetic backing just to make her happy when we go out for ice creams in Baby Red. You're going to need to hire help. LOL.

PS: On a more serious note, in 1975 after Alfa won the manufacturers championship, they issued a ~ 6" round green/white/red sticker announcing that event, and with an "Alfa Romeo" and a quadrifoglio. I have two originals, never mounted. I could provide a picture if anyone wants one of them for the archives.

·
Certified Oldschooler
7,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
Chuck (et al), I am staggered by the amount of info in your post. This is indeed a sticker cluster bomb!! :eek: I'll ask a few questions to clarify my understanding and the needed actions. I hope I manage to parse your questions and my thoughts in the right order. Bruce

It's great to see this information coming together! I may be able to add/confirm a few items though in no particular order.

1) The lubrication, exhaust emission data and Lodge decals on the underside of the hood on my car are in two columns. Mine is shown on page two of the thread (Green hood). I have not seen the decals arranged in a single column before, but it may have been a matter of individual interpretation by the factory worker if we have two examples of the single column arrangement.

The number on the Lodge decal is 2756.
BGB - dealers choice? Harold feels his came with them stacked in one column. Depends on whether the legendary Giovani did it or the infamous Enrique after a lunch with wine? What criteria do concourse judges now use, not that that is a driver for all? I'll note two location variations for now..

Have we landed on one definitive Lodge decal number (2756) or are there variations? Open issue.

2) The radiator cap decal on my 69 is original and the one most commonly seen, the one John has recreated.
BGB - I believe John has created two for 69's, the first one for awhile now, and then one like Harold's recently. Which is correct or, again, do we have variations? Open issue.

3) I believe the bright blue Tudor washer bag with yellow logo that Harold showed is correct for the car.
BGB - This looks like a silkscreened or printed logo item? Mine is not mounted right now so I'll have to dig through the cabinet. If you have the bag then you probably have the printing on it (nice to see OE). Open issue.

4) The Ignition coil on my car is Magneti Marelli and has the gold foil label as shown on page 1 of the thread (that's the one from my car). It is located on the bottom portion of the coil below the mounting clamp.
BGB - the mounting location was not so clear to me from the picture, too close-up. Could you or someone post a clearer shot? Tks. I take it this is the definitive MM decal for a 69? Going once, going twice . . . Closed until further notice. Will so note.

5) My car has a Falcos oil filter canister. That would make 5 of the 6 types found. It is kind of brick red in color if I remember correctly and it has a label on it. I'll get a photo, recheck the color and post it later.
GBG - Wow, 5 out of 6 found. Sounds like we all have work here to get the text of the 5 we've noted. Again, the decal vs, sticker vs. silkscreen dilemma here. Open issue.

6) The seat belts were Klippan clam shell style. No label, just "Klippan" molded into the plastic and a label sewn into the webbing on each.
BGB - yours are like mine (OE), a Klippan clamshell with no sticker. Closed for Spider. The PRESS sticker appears to be for, it at all, a GTV and/or Berlina?? Still open.

7) Of the three wheel manufacturers, only CMR stamped their logo on the outside of the wheel (inside the hubcap area). Firsat used block letters stamped inside the wheel (in the air space under the tire). I think Fergat was the same although I have not seen it. So if you don't see CMR on the outside, it can be assumed to be Fergat or Firsat.
BGB - No comment here. Interesting. I'll squint and check. Mine are unmounted in the rafters.

8) The Fergat globe wheel decals were definitely present on the 67 roundtails with Fergat wheels. I have a number of photo references from sales brochures and press releases clearly showing them. Look for them between and slightly above the holes in the wheel, 180° away from the valve stem. I also have a sales brochure for the 69's that shows them, the only problem with that is they used some exterior photos from the Duetto (as indicated by the marker lights) in putting together the brochure. At this point I am leaning towards them also being correct for the 69's but can't say they are fully verified. Maybe someone has additional period photos of the 69's.
BGB - were the stickers originally provided on a 69? Seems to have ended with 67's?? Open issue. I also assume the other two manufacturers did not have a sticker since no one has brought it up yet?

9) I do not have the "Alfa Romeo Made in Italy" decal on the front drivers side door jam. Can anyone confirm this location for the decal?

My car is serial #1199, there was some talk on the thread of that decal being on the lower #'s of the series.
BGB - I provided a photo of mine below. It was one of the only 3 OE stickers that survived on my car and I bought it (2nd owner) in 1975. I am #0323. Many have said it was not on their car, later S/N's so far. It may be a S/N related issue. A dealer's choice issue with that renegade Enrique? It's a closed deal for me but perhaps we can collect more info/input. Open issue..

10) The fuel filter is FISPA and has a yellow stamping on it similar to the one on the air boxes.
BGB - silkcreen vs decal vs. sticker issue. Any other manufacturers to hunt down, probably not? I asume John wil make a stab at one (yellow on clear) like his airbox sticker?

11) Can anyone confirm the presence of the Battaini decal on the jack? I restored the jack and took the liberty of adding it, but don't know for certain if that decal was present on Battaini jacks in 69. BTW the elastic strap on the handle is my own creation and not original to the car, but it will keep the handle from swinging about and is made from an Alfa strap.

Chuck
BGB - that's the first jack sticker I've ever seen on a 69. I'll double check for a goo outline on mine. To keep my handle form swinging against the rear bulkhead, I use a small Velcro rope tie (like you use on boat ropes or cables). They used Velcro then so it's a period correct material.

·
Certified Oldschooler
7,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
John, et al, I updated the root post with the new info. It itself is now getting pretty unwieldy. Some 15 confirmed stickers and some variations. Still vetting 3-4 and more info needed on others. May try to go for a table like that "wheel weights" thread if I can figure out how to do it. I keep a Word table but it cannot be posted (.DOC limit too low for any file with any graphics, like a table). Time for other 69'ers to weigh in also, unless they (like us) are now terminally confused. A running blog is NOT the best way to present this info. That's it for tonight.

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
Are the Tudor wash bags still available with the decal?

I have both radiator cap decals created.

Any of these silk screened items...hopefully the new printer will help make these look much better. But nothing will ever look as good as the original silkscreen. Jury will be out until I can get these fab'd up and some examples printed for evaluation.

Lodge is 2756.

Nice jack sticker...easy to make.

Terry Rushbrook I believe has those DUCO decals. We need to involve him. From my own experience I know that he put a great deal of effort into those.

Bruce...you need to add a #16 for Chuck's certified correct mystery decal. I am sure he'll post it soon. And its amazing it survived. Its an interior decal. Chuck has some decal creation in his blood too. Wait to you see his work! Chuck also drew the Fergat wheel decals. They look spectacular as well.

Magnet for Dora...great idea! And yes send a scan or good picture over and I'll recreate that 1975 championship decal.

Best Regards,
John M

·
Registered
330 Posts
Are the Tudor wash bags still available with the decal?
I haven't found any currently available. I have seen Tudor washer bags like this one on ebay at times though. Some of the later ones have the logo embossed at the base of the filler cap but no silkscreening on the front. Might try some of the Ferrari sites, I think they used them too but don't quote me on that.

John, I can send you a better photo with dimensions if you want to reproduce this one.

I have both radiator cap decals created.
The one that Harold has on his 69 is the first I've seen of that variation.

Nice jack sticker...easy to make

Terry Rushbrook I believe has those DUCO decals. We need to involve him. From my own experience I know that he put a great deal of effort into those.
Terry did the Battaini jack decal and the DUCO paint decal. They look great. I have never seen another Battaini decal, but the DUCO decal for my car's color is nearly perfect.

Bruce, here is a photo of the MM gold foil decal on the ignition coil for placement reference. The coil location is of course on the passenger side of the engine bay near the fire wall.

Chuck

Attachments

·
Certified Oldschooler
7,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #66 (Edited)
So, I'm waiting! Where is the so called "mystery sticker" that John alludes to!! Go ahead, make my day . . .

PS: as you will note way above (pg 1) my paint sticker is one of only 3 intact on my car.

PSS: please check over my comments to you back on your long missive above. This may be better taken of-line (phone or e-mail) as the posts are getting pretty long.

·
Out of the office!
11,175 Posts
...6) The seat belts were Klippan clam shell style. No label, just "Klippan" molded into the plastic and a label sewn into the webbing on each.
I've seen two different styles of seat belts. The first, or "earlier" version, is the black webbed, clam shell style that you describe. The ones I've seen are dated 1968. The other, or "later" style, has grey webbing and an over-engineered clasp. The chrome piece on the right was bolted to the drive shaft tunnel. This one is dated 1969. I've seen this style of belt in BMW 2002's of similar vintage.

BGB - yours are like mine (OE), a Klippan clamshell with no sticker. Closed for Spider. The PRESS sticker appears to be for, it at all, a GTV and/or Berlina?? Still open.
Not cloesd. :p

Early or late does not reference model year or serial number range. It's a well known fact that these cars were not produced in sequential serial number order. No. 863 may have been manufactured before No. 1012. Early or late refers to manufacture date.

Attachments

·
Certified Oldschooler
7,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #68 (Edited)
Dang, another S/N variation?? With no known or determinable S/N logic or cutoff date ascertainable? Nice. Dealers choice!!

I've seen those belts with the chrome loops but I thought I recalled they were either 71's or GTV's???

Will re-enter as "open" and let the data trickle in. Thanks for the info. I'm just the scribe.

PS: the underlying issue here is NOT so much which type of belt (or if both) were OE, but if it had a Push/Press sticker of any type, either black/chrome or fluorescent orange/black, on the release button. Did the alternate type belt (non-clamshell) have a pushbutton sticker on a 69. That's the inquiry. Cheers, Bruce

·
Registered
330 Posts
Ok, ok, sorry! ;) It's taken a while to lower the resolution of the images to fit on the BB.

Here is the decal that John wrote about. It is a graphic of how to divert heated air from the floor vent of the heater box to the windscreen for defrosting. This is done by pushing the vent door on the heater box closed with the driver's right foot. It seems to have been placed there to help new owners figure out how to defrost the windscreen, which isn't obvous given the heater controls. It's the kind of decal that we would see on a new car, the kind that typically gets removed by the time we get home from the car dealership. ;)

This one somehow survived. I've posted a few images of it. The first is the decal as it looks on the car. It is located on the front of the glove box to the lower left corner. The original image is faint, but visible. When I first bought the car I couldn't wait to get it off, figuring it was just some old sticker. When I realized what is was, I couldn't remove it, not after it survived the first 39 years. Now I like to see it there.

I've been working on the graphic in an attempt to recreate it as part of the restoration process. I managed to retrace all the lines of the graphic and have overlayed it onto the original in the photo below to show what it might have looked like from the factory. Sorry if the lines are a little blocky. The BB won't permit a higher resolution image to be downloaded. It really is very sharp at high resolution. Also, here are a couple of other images of the graphic alone. Same issue with resolution on the BB though. The first is on a black background. Then Stan said what about Osso? What is Brian going to do with a clear label with white lines on his newly painted white dashboard? So the second image with black lines is for you Brian.

Thanks to John for taking this label on as a project. Printing white is a ***** unless you have a profession print shop. Special thanks to Stan Murray for all his help and advice on things Alfa.

If there are any more dealer type stickers out there, I hope someone will post them. Maybe some that were on the windows?!

Chuck

Bruce: I'll contact you later.

Attachments

·
Certified Oldschooler
7,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #70 (Edited)
Ha! And all this time I've been reaching down by hand to close that flap. Shame on me. I clearly needed that sticker!!

John & I discussed (off-line so as not to punish the innocent), the philosophy of sticker application and they seemed to fall into 3 categories: 1. legally required (a few) - gotta keep, 2. good info but redundant to printed materials (emissions, lubes, plugs, paint, tire inflation, etc.) - OK,ok, keep until they fall off, and, 3. "spunk" (one-time use, vendor adverts, this one) - meant for quick removal from a daily driver, and they were all "drivers" initially. No one drove it off the showroom floor to a concourse event.

We'll all make the cut on what to replace differently. Nice to see what was there originally though in a new car and a complete set. I still can't see putting many of these back on for a nice "driver". Who uses Lodge plugs out there?

Sorry, I digress here. Keep 'em coming!! I'll add it!!

·
Registered
330 Posts
Lodge plugs - check ;)

I agree, there would be no way I would have left this on the dash if I had bought the car new. Some people still leave those safety stickers on the drivers side window of new cars, who knows why? I guess the original owner was that sort. Now though, it's part of the car and really is the coolest looking decal on it.

·
Certified Oldschooler
7,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #72
Lodge plugs???? Heater flap operation decal . . . . You will get extra points in Alfa heaven . . .

·
Certified Oldschooler
7,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #73 (Edited)
69 Seatbelt Stickers

I tried to move this "open" issue forward a bit by researching the OE Parts Manuals on style of seatbelts installed (and alternatives). I could find absolutely no info at all on seatbelts for a 69 (or any model) there. Seats, carpets, etc., but no seatbelts. Go figure - dealers choice!! (Is it just me and I need anohter cup of coffee?) The owners manual shows, vaguely, a standard clasp-type belt, but that could just be an artist's conception sketch.

Does anybody know for sure if, or if not, the tunnel chrome loop-style attachment came on a 69 Spider (or other 69 model)? And did any 69 OE clasps have a chrome/black or orange/black "PRESS" sticker? Mine had only the Klippan clamshell lap belt with no stickers (no push button). Thanks,

·
Registered
330 Posts
I had thought that those chrome loop style belts were aftermaket like a lot of the Amco bits for Alfa that time. I kind of like the Amco double bow rear bumper extension they made for the spider, but that's beside the point.

I saw maybe 4 of the loop style belts on spiders at the Concorso Italiano this year, so if they were aftermarket, they were somewhat popular. Can't find a reference for them either though. The fact that Brian has a set and that they are Klippan from 69 with Alfa logo makes a good case for them being an original variation.

Did find another variation though - Sorry! What look like clamshell style with the silver & black Alfa logo on top. It was in a 1969 sales brochure.

·
Certified Oldschooler
7,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #75 (Edited)
I could imagine that the OE clamshell type might have had an Alfa logo sticker that quickly weathered off with all the action a seatbelt saw. I'll be with my car tomorrow and will inspect ALL these locations for sticker "goo" outlines, but I doubt I'll find any as years of cleaning with various solvents and detergents has probably eradicated any sign. I'll take a shot of my OE belts also (not mounted now, have 3-point belts with UGLY orange pushbuttons (Note: without PRESS stickers, perhaps I need one!!!)).

Note: I've got one of those Jaguar-like double bow rear bumper extensions. It fits between the bumper over-riders. I never mounted as it required drilling two holes in the upper section of the bumper over-riders (one above and one below on each side). It's bit rusty now (chrome and not SS). I also had a good welder make an identical one up in SS but have never polished it up after his welding and grinding.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Here is a photo of the Falcos oil filter canister. It still needs to be removed from the engine and cleaned up. Hard to tell how much of a decal if any has remained at this point.

The second photo is the FISPA fuel filter/regulator. There is a small metal plaque glued to the top of the unit. It has "3031.09" stamped into it next to the Filtro heading and "L1 1584" Stamped into it next to the Cartuccia heading. The FISPA decal is missing from the cannister on this one, but is shown earlier in this thread.

Chuck

Attachments

·
Registered
193 Posts
Fispa filter unit

Chuck,
The silk screen is on the plastic protective cover on the FISPA bowl.As shown in an earlier photo. The actual metal bowl was originally gold cad plated.

Steve

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
I am awaiting some supplies to make the next gen coil decal and the white on clear/color on clear decals. Coming from New Zealand!:D:D:

Here is Osso's supplied seat belt decal.
seatbelt.jpg

I've recently installed Photoshop CS4. So I have been playing with its capacities and doing some tutorials. Seeing if it speeds up the creation process. I actually created this decal in gimp and paint.

Best Regards,
John M

·
Certified Oldschooler
7,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #80
Was the original black on chrome?

I need to revise the initial post. Chuck has provided a lot of info. Still a few open questions though.

61 - 80 of 158 Posts