Alfa Romeo Forums banner

41 - 60 of 158 Posts

·
Certified Oldschooler
7,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
John, could you post a pic of those 3 anyway with a notation that, "they were considered and do not seem to come form a 69 but we appreciate any contrary input", or some such words.

I'll set up a separate line for those currently "out" of the 69 set at the bottom, versus those "in" at the top, and those "under consideration" in the "middle".

Thanks. Time to get some (cold) fresh air - cold for Houston anyway (40). Bruce

·
Certified Oldschooler
7,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
The manufacturer name is posted on the top. See photo.
I didn't know/think they had a spin-on in 69 or is that an adaptor? :confused:

So, it won't take that much imagination, just need to make out the type, the text/dimension, produce it (if possible), and specify which is on your car. Easy! :eek:

Amazing just how much effort is involved with this and variation, just on a '69 !!

Cheers, Bruce

·
Trained (ex)Professional, , 1953-2018 RIP,
16,232 Posts
Jim, a question - Did not the 68/69 parts manual list either a Marelli or Bosch for a Euro car? But the USA manual listed only the Marelli?
I stand corrected on the Euro coil which could be either Bosch or Marelli. The distributors however are Bosch only.

More thoughts;

The pictured radiator sticker is unlike any I've seen before. I'll try to come up with a pic of the sticker I'm familar with.
The paint sticker is not readily available but I'll see what I can do.
I think there's a pic of the gearbox sticker somewhere on the BB but I recall it being yellow, not red. But the repro sticker I have is red.
I would think that Alfa would have revised the emissions sticker to reflect the change in the pump timing. Don't know for sure though.

·
16,232 Posts
Bleacher seat view of the gearbox sticker is here. (post #18). Apparently, the yellow sticker reads 'Do Not Use Oil Type EP' (click here) while a red gearbox sticker reads 'Use Only Oils Type EP'.
Note the radiator cap sticker in the second pic. This is the sticker I'm familiar with.

·
Registered
59 Posts
The dimensions of the -as yet- unconfirmed radiator cap sticker are 44mm square, 14.2mm hole, 5mm radius on corners. White line has 2mm radii in four corners and where it wraps around the hole.

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
Bleacher seat view of the gearbox sticker is here. (post #18). Apparently, the yellow sticker reads 'Do Not Use Oil Type EP' (click here) while a red gearbox sticker reads 'Use Only Oils Type EP'.
Note the radiator cap sticker in the second pic. This is the sticker I'm familiar with.
Got the EP don't use sticker ready. Now anyone have a picture of the red one that says use type EP. I am figuring dimensions approximately 2 5/16 x 1 1/4 inches.

And am I correct that the yellow one in italian says "non usare oli tipo"? Oli in Italian being "oils".

Papa when you get at that paint decal, if you could get dimensions too....please!:D:D:D I have the other radiator cap decal already available as in that picture you noted Jim.

Harold, that center measurement of the hole in the center seems off when I compared it to your picture. Just scaling on 44 outer Length...seems like that center hole would be more like almost 20mm. Can you confirm?

I'd like to see some more emissions decals. And of all the ones I have seen...they all say the same 80 ATDC. I just noticed today that there are what I think are reproductions floating around out there that have some minor differences. Fonts off, spacing somewhat off. I have updated mine today to look as close as I can get it to the originals. I reviewed some photos of originals and they appear to be identical to the one Brian posted earlier.

Best Regards,
John M

Attachments

·
Certified Oldschooler
7,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #47 (Edited)
I still have this one and several others in the "on deck circle" awaiting some more confirmation. I updated the initial post with what I understand to be the status from all this great banter. Another eye on that now list would not hurt. Thanks papajam and John and others. Bruce

·
Certified Oldschooler
7,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #48 (Edited)
Edited: Location of tranny "EP oil use" sticker?? Applicable to 69 but a RED sticker and says to "Use Only Oils Type EP". See discussion below by papajam.

Note the orange Fram oil cannister, one of 6 manufacturers supplied on 69's per the parts manual. We've found 4 of them so far in use here at this point in this thread.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
Removed from the list for 69: 91 RON, DOT3 Booster, Press, and ATE Booster.

Best Regards,
John M

Attachments

·
16,232 Posts
Location of "Tranny non-EP oil use" sticker??
Yes.

Applicable to 69??
No. Starting in 1968, gearboxes were switched from a non-moly syncro type using a non-EP oil (yellow sticker) to a moly syncro that's requires an EP oil. Hence, 69s got a red sticker saying 'Use Only Oils Type EP'.

EDIT; an aside on Ate booster sticker #3.6140-1700.4. This is the Ate part number for the booster fitted to 1971 hanging pedal cars. It would not apply to the remote boosters on the 69s.

·
Certified Oldschooler
7,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #51 (Edited)
Jim, is there documentary evidence that these "red ones" were put on 69's? Thanks, Bruce

EDIT: Ahhhh, documentary evidence for the Ate stickers NOT being on a 69 1750.

·
Registered
59 Posts
John,

You are correct on the hole size

Correction:
The dimensions of the -as yet- unconfirmed radiator cap sticker are 44mm square, 19.5mm hole, 5mm radius on corners. White line has 2mm radii in four corners and where it wraps around the hole.

·
Out of the office!
11,156 Posts

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
Does this EP decal look correct Papa?

Best Regards,
John M

Attachments

·
Registered
330 Posts
It's great to see this information coming together! I may be able to add/confirm a few items though in no particular order.

1) The lubrication, exhaust emission data and Lodge decals on the underside of the hood on my car are in two columns. Mine is shown on page two of the thread (Green hood). I have not seen the decals arranged in a single column before, but it may have been a matter of individual interpretation by the factory worker if we have two examples of the single column arrangement.

The number on the Lodge decal is 2756

2) The radiator cap decal on my 69 is original and the one most comonly seen, the one John has recreated.

3) I believe the bright blue Tudor washer bag with yellow logo that Harold showed is correct for the car.

4) The Ignition coil on my car is Magneti Marelli and has the gold foil label as shown on page 1 of the thread (that's the one from my car). It is located on the botton portion of the coil below the mounting clamp.

5) My car has a Falcos oil filter canister. That would make 5 of the 6 types found. It is kind of brick red in color if I remember correctly and it has a label on it. I'll get a photo, recheck the color and post it later.

6) The seat belts were Klippan clam shell style. No label, just "Klippan" molded into the plastic and a label sewn into the webbing on each.

7) Of the three wheel manufacturers, only CMR stamped their logo on the outside of the wheel (inside the hubcap area). Firsat used block letters stamped inside the wheel (in the air space under the tire). I think Fergat was the same although I have not seen it. So if you don't see CMR on the outside, it can be assumed to be Fergat or Firsat.

8) The Fergat globe wheel decals were definitely present on the 67 roundtails with Fergat wheels. I have a number of photo references from sales brochures and press releases clearly showing them. Look for them between and slightly above the holes in the wheel, 180° away from the valve stem. I also have a sales brochure for the 69's that shows them, the only problem with that is they used some exterior photos from the Duetto (as indicated by the marker lights) in putting together the brochure. At this point I am leaning towards them also being correct for the 69's but can't say they are fully verified. Maybe someone has additional period photos of the 69's.

9) I do not have the "Alfa Romeo Made in Italy" decal on the front drivers side door jam. Can anyone confirm this location for the decal?

My car is serial #1199, there was some talk on the thread of that decal being on the lower #'s of the series.

10) The fuel filter is FISPA and has a yellow stamping on it similar to the one on the air boxes.

11) Can anyone confirm the presence of the Battaini decal on the jack? I restored the jack and took the liberty of adding it, but don't know for certain if that decal was present on Battaini jacks in 69. BTW the elastic strap on the handle is my own creation and not original to the car, but it will keep the handle from swinging about and is made from an Alfa strap.

Chuck

Attachments

·
16,232 Posts
Jim, is there documentary evidence that these "red ones" were put on 69's?
Not exactly. I'd call it circumstantial. There is verbal evidence of red stickers in posts 20, 23 & 24 of this thread and a pic of a red sticker and a written reference to a 'red transfer, if any, on gearbox' here. I don't know (yet) where this written reference is from but it is not in any 1969 owners manual that I've seen and the verbal reference does not pertain to a 69.
However, I think one must consider the time frame in which the change to moly syncros took place and the environment in which the stickers had to live (meaning a sticker could have fallen off over time). It would not therefore be unreasonable to conclude that the red stickers could have been placed on the 69s.

John,
I think the word 'OLI' should be spelled with two 'I's, OLII, because it is the plural of OLIO. I'll check the repro sticker when I get from work.

·
Certified Oldschooler
7,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
Jim, that works for me! :) I'm not the judge, just the scribe. Just seeking sound inputs before listing. The 2nd link had a red "Use EP" sticker but I gather it was on an earlier model than 69?? If so, why? Wasn't it a uniform changeover?

So, I'll add it to the "confirmed list" and await any other vetting comments or pics. :D

These [email protected] little things are now popping up all over, like Tribbles. Chuck's post (great input, I'm still digesting) has blown this up even more now. Jack stickers?? :eek:

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
John,
I think the word 'OLI' should be spelled with two 'I's, OLII, because it is the plural of OLIO. I'll check the repro sticker when I get from work.
After looking at that picture you found...I think you are correct. And I think it applies to the yellow decal as well. It didn't make sense to me to say oils on one side and oil on the other in regards to the yellow. That red one clearly..with some software manipulation....says "OLII"

Correction made. Also rounded the corners of the EP box based on this photo. I'll adjust the photos of both in the thread.

Oh and Bruce...Chuck has a decal to post up that is for sure original...but hasn't been discussed here at all. My new used toy should ...if all works out as grandly schemed....aide in the recreation of this particularly unique find. Does that wet your whistle enough!:D:D:D Got to let Chuck present it. AND IT ISN'T THE JACK DECAL!

Best Regards,
John M

·
Certified Oldschooler
7,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
My granddaughter wants a big Dora sticker for the hood. No snakes or people being eaten!! Yuckie! What's the maximum size? ;)

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
8.5 x 14 I believe. If I print one of those...I'll have to print two of them!:D Lauren Reese will want one for herself.

Best Regards,
John M

41 - 60 of 158 Posts