Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 158 Posts

·
Certified Oldschooler
7,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Revision* 11 January 2009. As this is getting quite long, I've posted a Word document of it in my post on page 6 (LINK to #84).
----------------------------------------------
An excellent thread on "Spider Underhood Decals" has been addressing many model-years, and has grown to address different models of Alfa stickers. This is also now making it a bit unwieldy to find specific model and/or year decal/plaque information (what and where to stick it). So I'll start this thread to discuss 69 decals/stickers/plaques, which intends to include Spiders, and perhaps other models where similar.

John Duncan has done yeoman's work producing most of these and now assembling into a package; a few remain to clarify or produce. Other producers have sets or individual stickers also. We now also need better mounting location information: photos and description/dimensions of where to place them. Plus, noting any variations by serial number/production date or model. Vendors can then compile instructions when they send out a package of stickers/decals, and we can refer to that visually here. Let the games begin.

As a starter, we'll use John's basic list of what appears to be included, and some are still in play as to whether they are on a 69 or not.

Alfa Romeo US 1969 Stickers and Plaques

Legend:
BOLD = location photo included in this thread, (xxx) = color scheme
Green = variations, Red = more info needed

Here is what we have reasonably confirmed for the ‘69:
1. Lubrication decal; underhood; (white lettering on black). Alternates?

2. Emissions/ignition specs decal; underhood, 2 possible locations: 1 column, or 2 columns more common, see photos below; (chrome base/lettering with black background). [JN (see post #28) - The early version has the injection pump timing at 80*ATDC; later version at 70*BTDC. The change occurred sometime between the printing of injection manual #1470 dated 3/69 and manual #1470 R1 dated 10/69. Interesting note on the dwell spec of 30*. Point dwell refers to the number of degrees of distributor rotation while the points are closed. Alfa, whether by choice, error or oversight, lists the dwell spec while the points were open (at least on the early stickers). Injection manuals starting with #1470 R1 dated 10/69 list the dwell angle with the points closed.]. Verify alternates versus VIN’s.

3. Lodge plugs decal; underhood, 2 possible locations, see 2 above and photos below; (red with white lettering). Orig. – No. 2756? Was #2176 on a 69 or did it start in 71?

4. Magneti Marelli coil decal; on rear top of coil facing up below the mounting clamp (P#65); (gold mirror with blue lettering). [Note: Marelli originally used on all US ‘69 cars.].
((4b. Bosch coil decal, on coil - Not supplied originally on USA ‘69 - Euro or retrofitted. Need sticker info.))

5. Radiator cap #10050; centered on cap, concentric; (red with white lettering). [The simple text version is the only one found, it looks original though. Maybe list version #10050 as the more common style, though #2756 - simple text - is also acceptable.]. Continue to verify ‘69 alternates.

6. Spica pump lube; centered on logic section cover; (chrome with black background and chrome lettering).

7. Spica/Fispa airbox, 8mm above Spica plaque; (yellow on clear). [Note: The 1750 airboxes had a yellow silkscreen - or a paint stamp - noting TIPO .01. JD has a sticker replica of TIPO .01, but its translucent yellow on clear vinyl. Some guys on the AlfaBB were creating both a decal and a stamp to apply paint for labeling purposes to be 100% correct. LINK]

8. 1969 fed safety standards; driver-side rear door jam; (Early models - black with white lettering decal; Later models - white with black lettering plastic riveted plaque.). Changeover date?

9. "AR/Made in Italy"; driver-side front door jam; (white lettering on black); [May have applied to early production only (on #323)? See dialogue.]. Continue to evaluate.

10. Tire inflation pressure; inside glovebox door, centered; (white lettering on black).

11. Paint decal; trunk lid underside; (Duco - red lettering on white, and white lettering on red; these are more common). [See LINK "Montecatini Rosso" on these stickers.]
11b. Verniciature - black on silver foil background decal, trunk, less common. Additional verification desired.

12. Oil filter canister; on canister; (silkscreen printing, color scheme varies). [The oil filter canister housing has silkscreen printing on it. The parts manual lists up to six manufacturers: FISPA, FRAM, COMIT, FALCOS, FIAMM and Filt. Research has turned up at least five now in the US, see below posts. Each one varies - supply details.]

13. Tudor washer bag; on front of washer bag; (yellow paint text). Other bags offered??

14. Gearbox "Use only oils type EP"; driver side of tranny rear of fill plug, (P#48); (black print on red; NOT the yellow one for pre-69's!!).

15. FISPA fuel filter canister; see photo below, (P#55); (yellow silkscreen). Provide clear text.

16. Spider heater demister flap operation; lower left corner of glovebox door, outside; (white on clear); rare.

*17. Alfa logo decal on “later VIN” clasp-loop style seatbelt clasp; on seatbelt clasp, see photo below; (black on chrome or silver).
17.b. The “early VIN” clamshell style belt clasp may or may not have had a similar Alfa logo sticker. An Alfa sales brochure shows one, but no owner has reported a surviving sticker yet unlike one on a clasp-style belt. Evaluate further.

Others that may or may not apply. Under discussion. Offer input/comment.
a. Fergat wheel decals (blue, white, and black circle) [See posts below for discussion. Still "open". The parts manual lists up to 3 wheel manufacturers for a 69 – Fergat, CMR & Firsat. Only Fergat seemed to produce a sticker.] Did these stickers come on a 69?
*b. to above and below
*c. to above and below
d. Magneti Marelli decal on the distributor? Provide details/photo. (See posts below)
e. Battaini decal on the jack; on upper shaft, photo below; (white on red on white). Verify they were on '69 jacks.
f. ATE booster label Use “Ate Blau H”. Verify on a 69.
g. I think there is a small plaque on the Bosch alternator. I’ll get a photo.

Plaques:
1. Model type; riveted to LH upper firewall; (black on aluminum plaque).
2. VIN plaque; LH driver-side window pillar.
3. Spica FI pump S/N plaque; riveted to Spica pump; (black on silver)
4. Spica FISPA fuel filter plaque; riveted to lid; (black silver and gold).
5. Federal standards compliance – see 8 above, on later 69 models.

Others that have been tentatively eliminated based on review. Continue to comment/check.
- ATE booster part No. label [BGB - OE boosters are Bonaldi; Osso - There won't be an Ate sticker on the boosters as the boosters were not supplied by Ate. Papajam-Ate booster sticker #3.6140-1700.4. This is the Ate part number for the booster fitted to 1971 hanging pedal cars. It would not apply to the remote boosters on the 69s. Delete.]
- DOT3 booster label (JD - I think this came later. Delete.)
- 91 RON fuel label for gas door back side (JD - I think this came later. Delete.)
*- "Press" decals for seat belt pushbuttons, (JD - don't know if these went that far back) [BB – Early 69 Spider seatbelts were clamshell type Klippan, no “push” needed, but later S/N may have used the chrome loop attachment.
---------------------------------------

I'll update as new info comes in, Anfanuts.

"I would ultimately like to establish a true set as I have done with the other models. Your feedback on the optional stuff whether correct or not would be appreciated. Also notation of known missing decals would be appreciated. John"

Related posts:
Spider un derhood decaling: Related LINK1
Spica airbox labels: Related LINK2
Montecatini Rosso paint decals: Related LINK3
More S1 Spider Underhood Decals: Related LINK4
69 1750 Engine Compartment Stickers: Related LINK5
Engine Sticker Locations 74 GTV: Related LINK6
Paint Code Sticker Duetto: Related LINK7
Fergat Wheel Sticker: Related LINK8
1600 Oil Cannisters: Related LINK9
-------------------------

I'll start with the three stickers that survived on my car:
#1 - The "Alfa Romeo, Made in Italy" sticker on the front drivers-side door pillar.
#2 - The paint ID number sticker in the trunk.
#3 - The tire inflaiton sticker inside the glovebox door
#4 - Model-type plaque on firewall

Attachments

·
Registered
193 Posts
Bosch Coil sticker

I would add Bosch coil sticker.
Steve

·
Out of the office!
11,156 Posts
There won't be an Ate sticker on the boosters as the boosters were not supplied by Ate.

There are two types of seatbelts one a traditional lap belt and the other the Kliappan with the grey webbing that buckled to a central bracket between the seats. I believe BMWs has something similar.

Attachments

·
Certified Oldschooler
7,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Steve
Done, added, 4b as an alternate. Do you know what the basis was for using a Bosch versus Marelli coil? Early vs late or whatever came out of the bin?

If you have one, post a photo and dimensions. John may need it to make one.

·
Certified Oldschooler
7,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
There won't be an Ate sticker on the boosters as the boosters were not supplied by Ate.
Thanks for the location shots. Ate info noted.

There are two types of seatbelts one a traditional lap belt and the other the Kliappan with the grey webbing that buckled to a central bracket between the seats. I believe BMWs has something similar.
Did either say "Push". My Spider Klippans ("clamshell type") did not have a pushbutton. I recall my Berlina did have a pushbutton.

·
Trained (ex)Professional, , 1953-2018 RIP,
16,232 Posts
The belts on my ex-69 GTV #1530856 had a pushbutton release with an Alfa logo. Silver on black, I think.

·
Certified Oldschooler
7,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
69 Fed Safety Compliance plaque vs. sticker

I found this looking at cars on e-Bay (aqua green 69's). It is the plastic, riveted motor safety requirements compliance "plaque" versus the "sticker" that Osso mentioned elsewhere (photo #1). It has the VIN and production date. It was on a car with S/N 1481368 (production 9/69) and located on the rear driver-side door pillar below the latch (same as the earlier sticker was). Photo #2 shows it's location.

Another post shows there is also the black and white sticker on the rear drivers side door pillar (photo 3). This was on S/N 1480738. Mine was 1480323 and had no rivet holes in that location (1/69 import date)

This more than verified Osso's statement (not that I doubted it). So, what was the cutoff date/VIN for one versus the other?? Bruce

Attachments

·
Registered
4,450 Posts

Hey Brian:

Would you please take some accurate dimensions for the lodge decal and the lubrication decal for verification. I am fairly certain...that particular lodge decal is larger than the other versions. And it is unique with the last two words on another separate line.

Best Regards,
John M

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
Steve
Hey Steve:

Do you have a picture of the decal on that bosch coil that you could provide along with dimensions? The one coil decal I have that I have confirmed as original is for a Magneti Marelli coil as seen here.

Best Regards,
John M

Attachments

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
BTW, thanks Bruce for doing this. You guys wouldn't believe how many people have been asking me about 69 decals. This is really a nice team effort. Bruce, Chuck, Stan, Brian, John, and others have attributed. I'll do my part and replicate to the best of my ability.

Interesting that there is a mid year transition going on in 69. As I have tinkered with these Alfa decals, it has been somewhat a journey finding myself fascinated by spelling errors, mid year variations, extremely different variations with the same exact part number, colors, etc. I find myself excited to see yet another version of lubrication decal around the 71-73 range! Imagine this with our Alfas!!! I suppose I am not as much surprised in the variations as I am with how much these decals do entertain me. In short....I must be sick in the head!:D

Best Regards,
John M

·
Out of the office!
11,156 Posts
Did either say "Push". My Spider Klippans ("clamshell type") did not have a pushbutton. I recall my Berlina did have a pushbutton.
The two styles of belts I am familiar with didn't have push buttons. The lap belts that came with my car may not be original. I am pretty sure the are Klippan, but need to check. I'll get pictures of both styles that I have.

Would you please take some accurate dimensions for the lodge decal and the lubrication decal for verification. I am fairly certain...that particular lodge decal is larger than the other versions. And it is unique with the last two words on another separate line.
Wow, you have a good eye. I took that picture in 1996 at the Centerline boneyard. I am pretty sure that hood was on a 69 Spider as The trunk lid behind it is what ended up on my car. The best we can do is get a rough idea based off of the oil decal. Ricambi made a Lodge decal a number of years ago. It's think that's this one here:

Notice that it has No. 3665 on the right side. The one on the red hood has No. 2756. The one in my Alfetta has 2176. All three have the same part number 105.62.80.413.00. Pretty interesting, huh?

I gotta start my day. I'm off through the end of the month and have lots to do. I'll try and get to that sticker before the end of the week.

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
The two styles of belts I am familiar with didn't have push buttons. The lap belts that came with my car may not be original. I am pretty sure the are Klippan, but need to check. I'll get pictures of both styles that I have.

Wow, you have a good eye. I took that picture in 1996 at the Centerline boneyard. I am pretty sure that hood was on a 69 Spider as The trunk lid behind it is what ended up on my car. The best we can do is get a rough idea based off of the oil decal. Ricambi made a Lodge decal a number of years ago. It's think that's this one here:

Notice that it has No. 3665 on the right side. The one on the red hood has No. 2756. The one in my Alfetta has 2176. All three have the same part number 105.62.80.413.00. Pretty interesting, huh?

I gotta start my day. I'm off through the end of the month and have lots to do. I'll try and get to that sticker before the end of the week.
Got ya on the lodge. I have the 3665, the 2756, the 2176, and the 10050. 2756 is what I think is the correct one for the 69. I think I have a couple more sources in addition to your photo that have the 2756 in place. I have the sizing...just wanting confirmation from more than one source. Alfa has done that part number thing a bunch. Some of the lubrication decals have the same part number...same what I call version number...and are different decals. That is what makes it fun. Take your time on it Brian...no hurry!

Best Regards,
John M

·
Certified Oldschooler
7,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hey Steve:

Do you have a picture of the decal on that bosch coil that you could provide along with dimensions? The one coil decal I have that I have confirmed as original is for a Magneti Marelli coil as seen here.

Best Regards,
John M
Those two Marelli coil stickers look different. The new one looks to be an aqua blue on gold while the mounted one looks to be royal blue on silver. Is that an optical allusion?

·
Certified Oldschooler
7,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
John, once this inquiry winds up, do you want to put the Alfa sticker part/variation number (where available) on the stickers listing by MY? Seems prudent after looking at the Lodge variation discussion above. Bruce

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
Those two Marelli coil stickers look different. The new one looks to be an aqua blue on gold while the mounted one looks to be royal blue on silver. Is that an optical allusion?

Yes and no. The issue with printing on clear is the transparency of the ink unless thermal printing. I can resolve this by outsourcing the clear printing. The gold color does bleed through some altering the color when solvent or water based inkjetting. But in a true side to side comparison...this decal looks very much like the original. Of course this is a blowup of the decal in both instances which exaggerates any differences.

Best Regards,
John M

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
John, once this inquiry winds up, do you want to put the Alfa sticker part/variation number (where available) on the stickers listing by MY? Seems prudent after looking at teh Lodge discussion above. Bruce
Yes. And I am already doing that with confirmation of what model years apply. I rename the decal file name with that information. But I haven't generated a part number to year database. That's easy enough to do on an excel sheet, but what information we will not have is how long did that decal stuck around. That is the challenge. Also should note...some decals share the same part number and version number and yet are different.

The 69 lodge for example seems to be unique to that year only. But the later decals stuck around for several years as best as I can tell. Its difficult to pin down the transition points when really I am getting so few replies and original example photos. So filling the void for example for the 70s Alfas has been challenging. I know there was a lodge decal there....but which lodge version....don't always know. 70s Emissions decals...I think I had only three sources for the entire run other than some examples I had photographed on my own. So I can always use more examples and dimensions.

Best Regards,
John M

·
Certified Oldschooler
7,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Spica Airbox Decal Placement

Borrowed from the Spica Airbox thread so 69 info is together:

Attachments

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
Spica pump label placement.

Best Regards,
John M

Attachments

·
Certified Oldschooler
7,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
You guys wouldn't believe how many people have been asking me about 69 decals. . . .

Best Regards,
John M
When, before or after this post? Did they just decide to die off en masse?? Doesn't really matter. Answers now well in-hand !!!

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
Before the thread. Since I began to offer the 69 emissions, lubrication, and coil decal on ebay. Probably 15 or so requests for set info. And for those who have ever wondered where the radiator cap decal goes...:D:D:D

Best Regards,
John M

Attachments

1 - 20 of 158 Posts