Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 1968 1750 GT in July of 2019. I should call it the Rubbermaid car, because most of the parts came in Rubbermaids. I have been working away, bringing it back from someone else's extensive but rather "unoriginal" refurbishment many years ago. The previous owner had started to turn it into a race car, but lost interest. The car was 80% stripped, and roll bar added, along with reinforcing of the front cross member. He had the suspension rebuilt and a lot of high performance running gear ready to go in.

I do have a 1750 motor for it, and this car is an original Canadian car, so it is equipped with dual weber carbs. It is a flying buttress car, with a reasonably decent interior. The underside was blasted when they did the rust repair and they protected it with a LOT of undercoating, including the entire inside of the trunk. However, all the rust was not addressed, and there were a few nooks and crannies left unprotected.

We decided to do the entire thing, removing all rockers, floors and inner wheel wells to start. I also ordered new front cross member parts, and a both front and rear valences.

First shot is the day it arrived. Had to kick my son's car out out of the garage for the time being.

One of the things the PO did for the race car conversion was to cut the firewall for a hanging pedal set-up. Part of the steering column was also hacked out, and the lower bolt hole is missing. We'll have to make the missing pieces. I'll deal with this when the drives floor is removed. A new patch had to be made for the firewall too.

In order to do it right, and make it a lot easier on me, I decided to build a rotisserie. Looked at a lot of different styles others had built, and came up with this design. Probably total overkill, using bearings and 2" square tube everywhere, but i didn't want to have to deal with it, while dealing with the car. I added 2 stops using a big bolt that just fits those holes, one on each side, offset by a half hole. Allows for lots of adjustment. I also added the "Balance Bolt" to get the Center of Gravity right, and change it when we remove doors, floors, etc. if needed.

Here is another shot of it, as the rotisserie is fit up. I also added a mounting point at the rear bumps stops.

Here it is, ready to remove the last bits, including steering, brake lines, glass, headliner and remnants of a homemade wiring harness.

Pretty sure everyone can guess what's in the box.

One of the things I had to tackle was the door hinges. Both top hinges had virtually no bushing left at all, so there was about an inch of slop up and down at the latch. I replaced both upper hinge pins. The trick is to have the new pin in the bushings (greased) when you gently press the new bushings into the hinge. The strap and rollers were also replaced, but not installed yet.

While we are here, you can see the roll bar mount and the fine job they did on the floor. No, there is no flange in the wheel well anymore. Not sure what the hole in the door is for.either. Not sure what held the pedal box in either, as the pedal box tunnel mount was barely attached.

I blasted the hinges before I put the new parts in, so it'll be clean and ready for paint when the time comes.

They must have gotten a deal on the green paint, as they laid a lot of it on, and covered pretty much everything.

Lots of fun.

·
Administrator
12,123 Posts
Good luck!. Following along ...
Pete

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So when I got it on its side, I was able to evaluate what was done to the care during the previous refurbishment, and what would need to be done to fix it up as original. First, the rear jacking point.

And the front ...

Lots of the old floor has been replaced. Most of the welds look good, but they laid the new metal right over some of the rusty old stuff, So its got to come out. The pedal box mount was only attached to the tunnel, not the floor.

All the mounts for the Horns, Air filter, Brake Booster, Relays, etc. were removed. Luckily, most of them came with the car.

I'll keep posting more stuff as I come across it.

·
Administrator
12,123 Posts
The PO really didn't have any affliction with the car did he/she. Almost like it was being prepared for banger racing ...
Pete

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The fellow I bought it from was turning it into a race car. He.bought the car with the questionable body repair work done already, by a previous owner. Good thing he didn't finish the conversion. There were a couple of pretty questionable repairs, including a cracked steering box. I'll post pictures soon.

·
Administrator
12,123 Posts
Oh, so the previous PO had built it for banger racing :D. Lucky you are saving the poor thing now!
Pete
Ps: I think that same person must have worked on my car too!!!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My car is a 68 Canadian-spec AR1348900, Id be curious to know how close your serial is to that.
Hi Jim. We're about 10000 serial numbers apart. Might be easier to go by the build date. Mine is August 1968. When was yours built?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I picked up this rear section a few years ago, and am glad to have it for this restoration. Been able to salvage quite a few parts, including the trunk floor. I'll be using parts of that to fix this one.

When the previous refurb was done, they hacked out what was left of the rear bump stops and replaced them with these.

But they never repaired the rot behind.

Luckily, that spare rear section had good ones, and salvageable sheet metal behind which was cleaned up, repaired and installed on this car.

The "secret" cavity was cleaned, and panted before the sheet metal was welded on.

The same was done to this side, which was a bit worse, as the frame rail needed a patch too. I had the car on jack stands here, as the rotisserie hat to be remounted to the new bump stops.

More to follow.

·
Registered
3,496 Posts
Sadly the PO had quite the misguided belief that race cars only need shiny paint to qualify....structural integrity did not seem to be a priority...nor a consideration of importance. He must have come to the realization that the work performed would have jeopardized not only his life...but others on the track as well. I'm glad to see that you're paying attention to the important stuff.

P.S....a lot of us have tackled these same issues as well....

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Sadly the PO had quite the misguided belief that race cars only need shiny paint to qualify....structural integrity did not seem to be a priority...nor a consideration of importance. He must have come to the realization that the work performed would have jeopardized not only his life...but others on the track as well. I'm glad to see that you're paying attention to the important stuff.

P.S....a lot of us have tackled these same issues as well....

You are correct. There are other areas of the car that were also weak, which I will bring up later.

I have been following both you Rossano, and Pete (PSk) for quite a while, watching your progress. I learned a lot from you both. The goal for this thread is to highlight a few issues that I encountered that could be useful for others. Also, I'll capture a few things that I had trouble with, and how they were solved.

Thanks very much.

·
Administrator
12,123 Posts
It is amazing what we can learn from this site :)

Pete

·
Registered
3,496 Posts
Sharing was always the goal of the founding members of this BB and of the early membership. Not sure the new owners care for this objective as much anymore. 1300Junior PM me with your location....if you're in the GTA area it might be fun to pay each other a visit.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts