Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 67 Super with a later LSD. I can't get the hand brake to work properly because the cable is too long. Before I cut it, I'm wondering if anybody else has had this issue and how they resolved it. I bought the car this way and assume the cable is stock. Because this is how I bought it, I don't know the difference between what I have and what was original.

·
But Mad North-Northwest
10,631 Posts
I assume you've tried adjusting the screw adjuster and run out of adjustment range?

(actually, disregard my previous comment, I was thinking of my 101 Giulia...)

·
But Mad North-Northwest
10,631 Posts
You also need to make sure the handbrake pads are properly adjusted at the rear. There are star adjusters that you access through a hole in the rear hub: if the pad clearance isn't adjusted properly as a first step then everything no workie. If you do a search you should find a procedure how to do this, it's pretty easy.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've adjusted the pads. Unfortunately, that didn't change much. When I pull the hand brake, it doesn't pull enough to move the two levers (don't know technical term) that ultimately pull the cables that move the pads in the drums. In fact, they barely move at all. Has anybody else used an LSD on a GS? If so, did you need to change the cable? Since I bought the car this way, I don't know if the cable is original though it certainly looks like it's original or nearly so. I don't think it could have stretched enough to render it completely ineffective.

·
But Mad North-Northwest
10,631 Posts
Towards the front of the cable there is a barrel screw adjuster, locked with a nut. You lengthen this to take the slack out of the cable. Did you do this?

·
Premium Member
133 Posts
FYI, I just did the same and my brakes won’t work. Fully adjusting the barrel did nothing. I have new cable now...just need time to install it. These things can stretch over time.

Not sure if true but one reason I ordered it from classic Alfa over centerline was the fact that classic Alfa lists distinct part numbers for berlina and the Giulia. Centerline does not. My mechanic swears they should be different lengths so I went with Classic.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
FYI, I just did the same and my brakes won’t work. Fully adjusting the barrel did nothing. I have new cable now...just need time to install it. These things can stretch over time.

Not sure if true but one reason I ordered it from classic Alfa over centerline was the fact that classic Alfa lists distinct part numbers for berlina and the Giulia. Centerline does not. My mechanic swears they should be different lengths so I went with Classic.
I hope you'll share the results of installation. Did you order the one for the Giulia or the one for the Berlina?

·
Premium Member
1,322 Posts
Well, if the cable really is too long, or WAY stretched (which, like you, I doubt) you could cheat a little and buy a cable adjuster from any hardware store.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Not sure why it wouldn't work... i put in a 4.3 LSD out of a 2000 Berlina into a 1967 Giulia Super a couple weeks ago. The handbrake cables worked ok after adjusting at the disc / drum. Have you tried adjusting both ways? It can take many turns... a tip is to turn the screwdriver against the bevelled (for lack of a better term) side of the brass adjuster to tighten.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts