Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the process of re-installing the wiring harness after a complete tear down for new paint. Unfortunately, the original wiring had been extensively "modified" by others before by my purchase. The car was wired to use the small inner high beam headlights, but also came with a cardboard box which included the small fog lights & housings. I'd like to use the fog lights in lieu of the small high beams. My TI/Super parts manual indicates fog lights were supplied on USA cars. But were the fog lights wired separately to an independent cabin switch? My Owner's manual wiring diagram does not show a fog light option.

Also, I have a second relay on the drivers side firewall ( by the flasher unit). It has 5 red wires attached. The horn's 3-wire relay is near the passenger side fuse box . Was this one of the earlier "modifications" ... as its not shown in my wiring diagram? or will I just have to trace for function?

Thanks for any help.

Charlie
DVAROC
-62 Guila spider
-67 Super

·
Premium Member
21,349 Posts
On US-market cars, the fog lights are wired to one of the three toggle switches on the small lower left panel on the dashboard. Other market cars used them along with the outer lights on high (main) beam.

My US 67 Super has three relays: one by the fuse box, and two on the driver's side by the brake booster; one round and one square. I think all are original.

Andrew

·
Registered
165 Posts
My US 67 Super has three relays: one by the fuse box, and two on the driver's side by the brake booster; one round and one square. I think all are original.

Andrew
2 little remarks

1 - Are you sure that the 'round' relay is not the flasher unit ? (you wrote 'by the brake booster, but inside the cabin or in the engine bay?)

2 - The lights on most of the 105 (not only the early ones) have NO relay. I mean that when you are using the 2 or even 4 headlamps (High beam), all the current passes through the stalk. As this device have a tendancy to burn easily and co$t a lot, it is a common (period) mod to add a relay driven by the wires from the stalk (so located around the steering wheel). But this is NOT an original setup, at least for Euro cars.

regards
sébastien

·
Premium Member
1,204 Posts
Hi Charlie,
I might be able to help. I made simple wiring diagrams for the fuse box & 4-way flashers (includes the 5 prong relay you found) on my Super. Shoot me a PM with your email & I will send them to you.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys,
I think Sebastien might be correct. I have a redundant flasher in the cabin and another flasher next to the 5-prong relay in the engine bay. It does appear to isolate the stock from the lights.

Charlie

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussing about '67 Super (my passion) I'm currently discovering the specificities of US version (I know about it only through the spare parts manual)

What is the purpose of this (in the green circle). ? This item is not fitted on the euro versions and the car seems quite original (even if intake manifold..:mad:)
Is that the 'round relay' supercc is discussing about and is it standard on US versions ?

1967_super.JPG

Regards
Sébastien

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
To my knowledge this is not an original part on a US Super but rather a retrofitted GTV-6 inertia cut-off switch from a GTV-6 .... fear is a horrible thing ;) When I had a GTV-6 I first taped it up after it popped out after a vigorous drive and later bypassed it.

Discussing about '67 Super (my passion) I'm currently discovering the specificities of US version (I know about it only through the spare parts manual)

What is the purpose of this (in the green circle). ? This item is not fitted on the euro versions and the car seems quite original (even if intake manifold..:mad:)
Is that the 'round relay' supercc is discussing about and is it standard on US versions ?

View attachment 79253

Regards
Sébastien

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just to make it clear to others following my original question: Mike answered correctly... the relay and flasher I saw on the left side engine firewall is the 4-way emergency flasher hardware and is not shown in the Super Owner's Manual wiring diagram. It is operated by a toggle switch under the dash that directs current either to the regular directional flasher ( under the dash) or to the 4-way flasher system.

Thanks for your help in sorting this out.

Charlie

1 - 9 of 9 Posts