Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the last thing I needed was another car, let alone a project. But sometimes things come along you can't say no to.

I picked up this extremely original Super two weeks ago. It has been sitting (mostly outside) in the high desert of California for over 15 years. The owner bought it used from a dealer in Santa Barbara in 1969 and has owned it since. He started getting low oil pressure many years ago and parked it. He said he was sure the odometer has not been around yet. The odometer shows 41,529!

He had the interior re-done just before parking it, as he had a friend who was an auto upholsterer. The seats are in great condition still, except the foam is a bit dry and may need to be replaced.

The car has the normal rust in the rear rockers, but is extremely rust free aside from that. The owner attempted a bondo fix on one side, which is now showing again. I've since discovered rust around the gas tank where water likely sat after it rained in the desert as it sat for years and years. Should be able to grind it down and salvage it though.

The engine appears to be seized. I'm working on getting it loose, however a full rebuild is likely. It all needs to be gone through. Clutch master and brakes need attention as well. Body is extremely straight and clean though. It's truly impressive.

I sent off an e-mail to Marco Fazio, which came back with an interesting response. He said the car should be Cobalt Blue, which makes no sense at all. There is no sign of blue on this car. I confirmed with the owner, it has never been painted and has original paint on it still.

I'll need headliner work as well as the top of the dash, as it's completely missing. I've always wanted a super, and this fell into my lap!

I'd like to make this into a driver versus doing a full restoration at the moment. I'd like to restore the GTV first, then do the Super. It seems the Super is so solid, it would be a great runner. I even have a spare 4.10LSD rear end to put in it, if I decide to do that!

Unfortunately, I'm not going to be able to keep all my toys. I have a LS that's running well, but has a high RPM issue, a Milano Verde that runs very rough, and a 68 GTV that needs full resto. I'm going to try to sell the Verde to make some room, unless I get an offer on something else.

If you all have any suggestions, I'm all ears. This is my first super and I need to learn it's intricacies. I've already done quite a bit of research through the BB. It's filled with info!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
Congratulations! Looks very original. What is that thing on the firewall in the engine bay though? To me you got the best model of the Supers, but I am biased! Be very careful with that lower grille heart. It is Alfa gold. Verrrrry rarely come up for sale and is quite delicate and easily cracks at the lower bit.

She does look quite parched in those pics. I'd imagine all rubber bits need to be replaced. I'd work my way through the suspension and brakes, see if I can get it to unseize (many threads on that) and check the compression. Dont commit to a full on resto,(believe me I know why not...) just get it to driveable condition and start smiling!

·
Certified Oldschooler
7,033 Posts
Coulda been blue . . . just sunbleached . . . Have fun with it. What Derek said. Get it safe and then reliable. Resto gets expensive fast.

·
Premium Member
21,685 Posts
Would love to have the VIN and engine numbers for the Register. Is this the car that was on LA/Inland Empire CL? I contacted, didn't hear back; maybe it was already in your garage!
Congratulations, white is a great color on a Super.
Andrew

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks! Safe is the plan and we'll go from there. The thing on the firewall looks like an electronic ignition!

IT can't be sun bleached, the spare wheel well is as white as can be, as well as every other hidden piece of paint. Ah well.

Attachments

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, Andrew, this is that car. It wasn't easy getting a hold of him for sure. I called at least 6 times before I got lucky. I'll PM you VIN and engine #'s.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Here's a trunk pic showing spare wheel well and rear quarter panel showing original glue for rubber mat in trunk. I swear it has to be an original white car.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
265 Posts
There is no way you could pass up that car. How can anyone pass up a Super? And I agree with Andrew - white is a great color for a Super.

Congratulations!

Mike Hemsley

·
Premium Member
21,685 Posts
My first Super was white/red new, but had been painted silver by the time I got it.
Not that I need more Supers, or more Alfas, or more cars, but I'm jealous. Great find.
Andrew

·
Premium Member
265 Posts
My first Super was green. Bought it off a used car lot in Spokane, WA, and turned it into a race car. I raced it in the NW in ICSCC in B Sedan, which is a lot like SCCA IT. It was my second Alfa and led to my purchasing my final (?) Alfa when I retired - my white '73.

Mike

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, Marco Fazio confirmed he believes the car should be cobalt blue with leather colored skai interior.

I've never heard of those records being wrong before, but I guess it's possible! Either way, I love the white/red.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Awesome find. I am very jealous! Looks like it will be fairly easy to get back on the road. Love these cars, hopefully mine will see the road again someday!

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I likely will! Thanks. Gotta figure out if I'm gonna try and break the engine free or just pull it and rebuild it first.... Decisions decisions.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Mine was frozen and it turned out to be the pistons in the sleeves. They never would have been functional even if I could have broken them free and the water jacket was full of crusty solidified coolant. Mine sat for at least 11 years.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
That's exactly what im thinking is going on here. As soon as my LS is a daily driver, the engine/trans is getting yanked and the running gear will be gone through. All new brake and clutch parts as well. Hopefully the calipers are fine. Maybe I'll slap the 4.10 LSD in it too. Unless that's majorly sacreligious. This car is pretty original

·
Registered
678 Posts
The car is yours, do what ever you want. I would definitely do a LSD if I had one but my rear mechanical 1/2 is last on the to do list. I do have a few random parts here and there if you need something

1 - 20 of 67 Posts