Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I have a 67 Super with lowered road springs from Centerline (springs haven't been altered but they do lower the ride height), Bilstein shocks, and a very thick aftermarket front antiroll bar (previous owner). The result is a an uncomfortable ride because it is too stiff. I've considered trying to source a factory antiroll bar in hopes of making the car more driveable. Before I do that, I'm wondering if anybody has any opinion on the antiroll bar change, i.e. will it make a significant difference.

·
But Mad North-Northwest
13,110 Posts
I'd suspect of the three things (springs, shocks, sway bar) that the front sway bar is contributing the least to the stiff ride.

My experience with Bilsteins is that they suck on Alfas and ride like crap. Were it me I'd probably start there by swapping in some Konis, and if that was not enough then go back to stock springs.

My guess is you're probably going to want to do both. I had the CL front springs on my Spider with Konis: they weren't terrible but were a bit rough for the roads we have around here. Went back to stock springs and am happier.

·
Premium Member
1973 Guilia Super 1.3 | 1750 Engine with Weber DCOE 40 Tipo 32
341 Posts
Shocks are an easy swap. Sway bar shouldn't really affect ride quality... Start with Shocks? I have Koni yellows on full soft with stock springs and it rides well. Koni reds are softer than yellows... Very happy with my switch.

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
I had the centerlines on my GTV with Koni reds. Way too low and stiff. The stock springs on my super along with Koni reds are perfect. Now, where to get stock springs? I purchased a set supposedly for the Super... and they were WAY too tall - discovered they were for the Berlina.

·
Supporting Vendor
4,508 Posts
Hello,

I have a 67 Super with lowered road springs from Centerline (springs haven't been altered but they do lower the ride height), Bilstein shocks, and a very thick aftermarket front antiroll bar (previous owner). The result is a an uncomfortable ride because it is too stiff. I've considered trying to source a factory antiroll bar in hopes of making the car more driveable. Before I do that, I'm wondering if anybody has any opinion on the antiroll bar change, i.e. will it make a significant difference.
I have the exact same set-up on my Super minus the Bilstein shocks and I find it to be very comfortable.

I recommend the Koni Classic shocks, set at about 25% stiffness at the front and full soft at the rear. I've also used our "stock" shock package (hydraulic shocks valved to approximate the original Spica shocks) and the ride was also good, just not quite as good as with the Konis.

The front roll bar will not have any effect on ride quality except when one wheel hits a bump and the other doesn't, and even then it will be minimal.

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
Bilstein rears, unless re-valved will be too stiff for a Super. Front Bilsteins can work well with rear Konis at full soft.

Koni reds all around are great, most people with yellows are happy as well. Best out of the box are SPAX. Re-valved Bilsteins (GTA Nurburgring spec) are sublime.

You don't say whether you are running a blade type bar or regular style ... blade-type makes for a jarring ride on rough back roads.

Spring rates that work well for a fast road Super are 600# to 800# om the front and 180# on the rear - Alfaholics B and Classic Alfa are in that range and use a fat (29mm) front bar - non-blade.

Classic Alfa spring kit IMO is very low - it benefits from being installed with 10mm spacers up front and 25mm in the rear.

Super spring info here: Spring specifications for a fast road Super

·
Registered
783 Posts
I have a pair of low milage Sachs Boge front shocks that I replaced on the TI with K yellow (@ 3/4) expecting a big effect but actually it's hardly noticeable just driving around town.
Spica Sport at the rear and stock all around.
Office supplies Purple Writing implement Violet Technology

50 bucks the pair if you're interested.

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
Bilstein rears, unless re-valved will be too stiff for a Super. Front Bilsteins can work well with rear Konis at full soft.

Koni reds all around are great, most people with yellows are happy as well. Best out of the box are SPAX. Re-valved Bilsteins (GTA Nurburgring spec) are sublime.

You don't say whether you are running a blade type bar or regular style ... blade-type makes for a jarring ride on rough back roads.

Spring rates that work well for a fast road Super are 600# to 800# om the front and 180# on the rear - Alfaholics B and Classic Alfa are in that range and use a fat (29mm) front bar - non-blade.

Classic Alfa spring kit IMO is very low - it benefits from being installed with 10mm spacers up front and 25mm in the rear.

Super spring ienfo here: Spring specifications for a fast road Super
In my opinion, Alleggrita's comments are something of a gold standard re: Giulia performance suspensions.. I can attest that he's personally tested numerous combinations. Although he 's too modest to point this out, I will say that his TI Super style Giulia sedan won it's class in the '08 Carrera Panamerica. He knows what he's talking about.

That said, her are some of my far less well informed opinions. I've found that, generally speaking, the preload built into gas shocks makes for a less satisfactory ride in old Alfas. My personal preference is for the Koni Yellows I have on my 72 Super's stock suspension. If the car was an inch or so lower, the ride would be perfect. I've used Koni Yellows for over 4 decades on all of my Alfas and they've never dissappointed.

Reactions: ganunez

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you to all for the responses. Much appreciated. Sounds like shocks is the place to begin. Regarding the type of sway bar, I believe it to be a blade type but will post a pic later.
Again, thank you.

·
Registered
891 Posts
As others have said, sway bars wont affect the ride stiffness.
Do the shocks and check back, full soft in rear, 1/4 in front to start w Konis red or yellow.
If youve never adjsuted Konis, first push out the rubber bump stop inside the top,
there is a hole on top to help do this, then you'll feel it engage to adjust,
figure out which way stiffens, set to soft, mark and do a half turn toward stiff.
Start there n see what you think.
Eibach springs are less harsh then the CL which tend to be pretty aggressive, but are shorter.
best to contact supplier re Super recommendations as its unique ie fronts ok, rears may want stock road length

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
I had the yellow sport springs on my Super care of a previous owner and even with stock swaybar and koni reds set to full soft it was a horrible ride on the crap australian roads. I have the Alfaholics fast road kit fitted (kit C springs front and kit B sprigs rear and 29mm front swaybar) and it is much more compliant, i kept the koni reds, left the rear at full soft and wound the fronts up half way, pretty happy with that set up.

Reactions: pinshaw

·
Premium Member
24,995 Posts
I'm the weirdo who likes stock. I like the ride, I like the ride height. My car was a bit tail-high, I cut 1/2" off the rears to flatten it out. I have red Konis on my Super, full soft rear, half soft front, very happy. Car is on 165-15, high enough to keep out of the potholes.
Andrew

·
2015 Chevy (Holden) SS, 1989 Milano (Shankle Sport), 1991 164S
18,212 Posts
We had put Bilsteins on our Milano, and have to admit, they've been a little too stiff. Might change them back to the stock. Just waiting for warmer weather.

·
Premium Member
24,995 Posts
He looks like the singer from The Rare Earth.
Gas shocks give a little extra oomph and raise the ride height a bit, typically like 1/2". If that's what you want. I like me red Konis.
Andrew

·
2015 Chevy (Holden) SS, 1989 Milano (Shankle Sport), 1991 164S
18,212 Posts
Our Milano has the Moderate Level Shankle Sport suspension. Noticed no difference in height after we installed the later Bilsteins after we had installed that suspension still with the original shocks. With the Bilsteins installed, noticed an increase in the harshness of the ride on rough roads as are typical for most urban and suburban roads. Unpleasant because the car is a DD.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts