Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of the pistons in my left rear caliper is stuck. I was going to buy a replacement caliper but was told they are unavailable for this model year. This car has ATE single circuit brakes and I was under the impression that the calipers from a later car would work. Is there a difference in the early and later ATE rear calipers that would not make them interchangeable? I know the pads are the same.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the confirmation Andrew. They must have confused the Dulop and ATE cars. I'll go ahead and order the caliper.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was eventually going to replace both anyway [my philosophy is if one's bad the other's probably not far behind]. I'll check the piston diameters as I have some old 2 liter calipers laying around. If there's a mismatch I'll order another. Thanks for the advice.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Right - There are 2 different diameters for Rear caliper pistons.

I was told it was not related to capacity of the engine (like front calipers) but to the fact that the vehicle is fitted With or without bias/proportioning valve on the rear brake circuit. Early vehicles, up to 68 are fitted without this valve.

Fitting calipers with bigger piston from a later vehicle may change the braking balance and induce some earlier rear brakes locking when braking very hard (hence the tendency to oversteer in this situation). The quality of modern tyres cancels this phenomenon wich was a big issue in these time.

regards
sebastien

·
Premium Member
21,362 Posts
Yes, I put two later rear calipers on my Giulia TI, and didn't have any issues. Mismatching would be bad.

This was an original Dunlop car converted to 1600 ATEs in front and 1750/2000 ATEs in back. Braking was fine.

Andrew

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'll check my car this weekend to see if it already has later calipers on it. Thanks everyone for the info.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts