Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, as long as my steering column is out I figured I might as well take on the task of removing the dash so I could get to the top pad.

**Note, after I am all done I will have an extra newly refurbished dash pad to sell.**

A-Pillars:I started with the a-pillar pieces. Taking them out is no big deal with just the 2 screws each (once you first remove the defrost vent cover thing). When you start to take the old vinyl cover off they usually crack in a few places. Don't worry, it is easy to put them back together with super glue. I use several coats of the glue to make sure it is strong. Stripping the vinyl off (once all the staples are pulled) can be tricky but heat from a hair dryer really helps. Try to keep the covering intact as the upholstry shop will find them useful as patterns.

Dash Pad:
To get the dash pad cap off is a much bigger deal. I was lucky that I have an extra dash so I could see what it takes to get them off. Mostly what I learned is that you cannot get it off without completely removing the dash from the car. Well, almost completely. I didn't undo all the wiring, just enough to pull the dash away from the car far enough to get at the dash pad screws.

Also note that yes, the instrument binacle will need to come off. This wasn't to bad because I will use this opportunity to polish all the electrical connections. Lucky for me all the wiring is stock as nobody has done any "modifications". I simple took pictures, notes and labelled wires.

You also need to remove the glove box cover to get at the 2 nuts in there. This was easily done by removing the two long bolts that function as hinges.

So the dash has 7mm nuts. 2 in the glove box, one either side of the radio and one on the far side of the instrument binnacle. The binnacle is also 7mm for a total of 4.

Even if you could get at the 4 binnacle and 5 pad nuts without removing the dash, it still won't come off because there are screws on either far end that you cannot get to without full removal.

Don't forget the two bolts holding on either end of the dash to the car (sort of below each A-Pillare and under the dash) and the radio will need to be disconnected as will the bracket between the lower dash and the hood releash lever. It will almost fall off now so be careful with any wires you left attached.

Pictures below:

1: end of a-pillar that usually crumbles to pieces when skinning
2. 2 - 7mm nuts inside the glove box
3. 7mm nuts on the instrument binnacle and next to the radio
4. Pad removed
5. Dash pad corner. All these staples need to be carefully removed

Attachments

·
Registered
557 Posts
Excellent post and pics! Very helpful.

Also, very interested in your spare dash top when you're done, as my 67 didn't come with anything on top at all, except for the defrost metal piece!

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
I went through this process some years ago for my '69 Giulia which I was backdating to look like a '66-67 Super.

I ended up needing to completely replace the dash pad, all the wood veneers, plus had the lower dash panels also re-made. The instrument binnacle housing I had powdercoated. I was very happy with the outcome.

Attachments

1 - 3 of 3 Posts