Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
First I want to say that I've had this car for about 6 years now. It has been a casual project that has been fun to drive but not a awesome looker. I didn't pay too much for her and I've gotten my money's worth out of the deal. Now I'm going to take on some projects that have really started to lessen my enjoyment of the car.

The previous owners of my 67 GTV were not too good at restoration. The interior was pieced together with cheap everything. The headliner looks like the same stuff that GM used in the 80-90s. The carpet looks like he bought it from home depot. And the dash was repainted with crinkle paint that has started to crack a peel because the wood vainer below has started to give way from the card board substrate.

The main Issue with the interior is that it out gasses like crazy. It will fog the windows heavily if I park out in the sun for 8 hours. I have resorted to carrying a can of window cleaner and a rag so I can drive home with out everything looking like it was in soft focus. I blame the cheap materials used. Typically PVC is the worst culprit for this. I suspect either the headliner or the carpet.

So this morning I started to take out the GM headliner to see what other shenanigans were a foot. As I started to piece together what he had done and what was missing I found that the head liner recess had screw holes all around it's edge remnant of adhesive. I'm thinking that there was a tack frame that is missing here.

Not being a expert in the Alfa GTV headliner world or even Alfas in general... What does this part look like? Has anyone made their own? Are there any spares out there?

As another thing to show you guys what I'm up against. The wiring is a marvel. Fortunately everything for the most part works. The previous previous owner decided to run everything through relays. Not a bad idea. Save for one issue. He bought a lifetime supply of red wire. Perhaps to match the body color. Enjoy...

·
Premium Member
2,237 Posts
There IS a frame that surrounds the recess. The area within the frame is a non-perforated vinyl while the rest of the headliner has the typical "snake bite" perforations. I'll try to get photos of how the headliner attaches to the frame later today.

headliner4.jpg

headliner1.jpg

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Brad!

In that case I guess I'll go on the hunt for the recess frame then. If not I may try to take a hand at fabricating one up if I cant find one.

·
Super Moderator
11,522 Posts
In that case I guess I'll go on the hunt for the recess frame then. If not I may try to take a hand at fabricating one up if I cant find one.
There is an easier solution. Many people - myself included - have restored their GT's using a "GTA -style headliner". This uses a couple of extra bows (which can be fabricated from 1/4" dia steel rod) to support the headliner, and deletes that recessed section above the rear seat. In my opinion, this looks cleaner, simplifies the installation, and although it is a modification, does have some precedent with other Alfa models.

Attachments

·
Registered
568 Posts
While the the one piece headliner looks fine the recess is there for a reason , so that the Sprint would qualify as a 4 seater for racing purposes. No practical advantage now but a piece of history that IMO makes the car a little bit more special.

·
Premium Member
2,624 Posts
kelly1mm and I are heading back to the forest Monday for hopefully the final day of parting out on the 66 GT Veloce in this thread:

http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/alf...9-67-giulia-sprint-gt-veloce-parting-out.html

That headliner recess was one of the parts that I was debating if it would be worth salvaging. $45 + shipping if you want it. The bow may already be spoken for. Let me know and see if there's anything else.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
wasnt the practical advantage to goive an extra few cm's of headroom for rear adults albeit with toothpick like legs ?

·
Premium Member
2,237 Posts
That headliner recess was one of the parts that I was debating if it would be worth salvaging. $45 + shipping if you want it. The bow may already be spoken for. Let me know and see if there's anything else.
Don't forget to remove the trim at the rear of the package tray. It took forever to find mine.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
kelly1mm and I are heading back to the forest Monday for hopefully the final day of parting out on the 66 GT Veloce in this thread:

http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/alf...9-67-giulia-sprint-gt-veloce-parting-out.html

Awesome Bill!

I've been talking with Leonard about the bow part too. I was the guy who is sending you payment on the fuse block and glove box latch. It would be great if I could get the recess frame as well. I sent him a pm to see if he could check for it.

I already have most of the interior kit for her from Centerline. So unfortunately I already have the headliner with the recess. Although if I hadn't already bought the kit I may have been interested in the non recessed kit.

Thanks for the suggestions. They are always appreciated.

·
Premium Member
5,679 Posts
wasnt the practical advantage to goive an extra few cm's of headroom for rear adults albeit with toothpick like legs ?
What adult could fit in those rear seats? I always laugh that they still were thoughtful enough to add ashtrays back there in case someone tried...

If originality is not a priority I would do what some of us have done and in addition to deleting the recess, delete the worthless rear seat all together and fabricate a rear shelf. If you are facing re-upholstering the rear seat it is also the cheaper route...

I'm sure Jay would share some pictures of his nicely done delete. Here is one of mine (in progress...):

P1100173.JPG

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Absolutley true Rich - but perhaps in the 60's and still today most Italians are not 5 ft 8 and taller. I still recall reading somewhere the recess was for added headroom.

I'll be running no rear seat but a rear cage instead.

·
Premium Member
22,619 Posts
It was a racing homologation thing for an officially required amount of headroom, right, so the GTV would count as a "sedan." It wasn't an actual attempt to fit folks in the back seat, though I've spent plenty of miles squashed back there.
Andrew

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I let a buddy borrow the GTV when he was visiting from Miami a few years back. Later that evening he rolled up to the bar with three drunk French guys in the back seat and two smoking hot brunettes in the front. I tell myself that the girls braved the French guys just to ride in the GTV. ;)

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hello everybody.
Things have been coming right a long on the interior. I have the headliner up(Looks pretty good but not perfect). I had to fix a hole or two in the floor pan, have the dash out and am in the middle of refinishing the Masonite sub-strait with fiberglass and Wood Grain patterned Di-Noc Vinyl.

The way that the heater control was attached previously was by a single bolt and nut that allowed the whole mechanism to flop around. I have a question... How should the heater control is attached to the dash? Pics would be really good too because I may not even have the correct heater control as well.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I've been pretty busy over the past few weekends. I had to do a couple patches to the Floor pan.

BTW- I found the perfect tool to remove the tar from the floorboards. I used the Dremel Multi Max with a scraper attachment. It scraped off the tar like it was hot butter. It took me an hour to do both front floor pans.

I did an okay job at putting in the headliner.

The seats ave been reupholstered along with the rest of the interior vinyl. New carpets.

And I refinished the dash.
First I peeled off all the old plastic veneer very carefully.

I had an old crappy pullout stereo in the car that never looked the part. and a few extra switch holes and mysterious lights. I patched these up old holes with Masonite and then I ran a layer of fiberglass resin then a layer of glass cloth and another layer of resin. I really helped the strength out. I hand sanded and dremeled and hand sanded and dremeled and hand sanded. I took a lot of time to get the shape back. Bun now I had a base to apply a thin coat of Bondo to do the final filling and shaping.

I painted the surface and let that cure for 5 days while I waited for the new replacement vinyl to arrive in the mail.
3m makes a wood grain film called Di-Noc. It's fairly easy to use although it does take a little practice. Hind sight I would have practiced a little before I did. :)

Note- I had to patch the first instrument recess after I got a little carried away with the heat gun.

Here are shots of the finished dash in the car.

Thanks to JoeCab at Centerline, Jim at Alfaholics and Kelly1m

·
Registered
3 Posts
3m makes a wood grain film called Di-Noc. It's fairly easy to use although it does take a little practice. Hind sight I would have practiced a little before I did. :)

Hi AaronC (and Hi everyone as this is my first post on the BB!),

You did a wonderful job, the result is amazing!
Could you please tell what's the exact reference of the 3M filled you applied?
3M proposes so many wood covers : Digital Media Repository

On my 66 Sprint GTV, the surface is partly black because of the sun I guess.

Many thanks,
Romain

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hi Aaron (and Hi everyone as this is my first post on the BB!),

You did a wonderful job, the result is amazing!
Could you please what's the exact reference of the 3M filled you applied?
3M propose so many wood covers : Digital Media Repository

On my 66 Sprint GTV, the surface is partly black because of the sun I guess.

Many thanks,
Romain
Hello Romain,
The place that I bought it from was called Metro Restyling. Here is the product listing on their website. they called it "Cherry Teak". I think it is the WG-254 from the 3M Digital Repository. I tried to match the grain to original and the color of the wood in the Nardi.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Great work on the dash :)

It looks factory made!!!

I´m subscribing this thread :D

Jan

·
Administrator
13,992 Posts
Clever work, subscribed.

Pete