Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I just purchased a 67 GTV saturday! I had a 65 Sprint GT as my first car when I was 16 and later sold it to go to racing school. Swore I'd get another when I grew up. Well...2 degrees and 20 years later...I found a pretty good one 4 weeks ago.

Previous owner says it has 47k original miles and has been stored in a collection for 30 years. Debatable mileage...but they signed the tilte as such...and it is certainly a totally rust free california car. It has a few dents, dings and a krappy burnt orange metallic paint job...what were they thinking? Except for a fake GTA steering wheel and slightly later radio, it seems completely original.

Engine, clutch, fuel, brake, and cooling systems were rebuilt a few years ago to prepare for sale. I actually drove it home 80 miles on the original pirellis through LA traffic...the scariest 3 hours of driving in my entire life.

I'll post pictures asap. If any of you GTV owners live near Thousand Oaks, CA and wants to share knowledge...PM me and we can meet up.

RP

·
Registered
936 Posts
well, welcome back !

and i happen to be in T.O. - somewhere between the DMV and Bruno's place (that is assuming you ever delt with T.O.'s resident Alfa mechanic). he regularly scours the local residential streets looking for interesting project cars to get his hands on.

sadly, i cannot drive my GTV over to meet yours, for its still up on jack stands finishing up on a long restoration process. :(

there is also a Spider owner between my place and the freeway, but i have never stopped by to say hi. :eek:

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Took these pictures this morning before work.

Anthony...thanks for the invite...I do need a few things and would love an excuse to see your shop.

Darth...who is Bruno?

Attachments

·
Registered
2,690 Posts
Wow that is a beauty! Congrats. Very original looking. I think the steering wheel looks fine too.

·
Registered
3,909 Posts
very very nice! That looks great, congrats!

·
Registered
7,166 Posts
I give that car a

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
RP

whats wrong with them, they look perfect to me? those will hold u in much better than the flyin buttress.

spend the $ else where.

same thoughts on redoing the brakes...

a real charming ride, please dont do 15's

d

·
Premium Member
582 Posts
Keep it original...but switch to 15" as needed.

I agree, this car is in perfect condition and should remain original. I vote no on the 15" rims, unless you were to keep a set of both the original wheel for show and vintage events and a set of 15 inch wheels for track day and fast road driving....

·
Registered
204 Posts
I say its your car, do as you please. Hang on to the old rims for re-sale though!

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the cheers...I must say it looks better in pictures.

Davbert...the main problem with the seats is they don't have headrests. That's what started my search for alternatives. At the moment I'm thinking of just reengineering the seat frame by cutting the head rest mechanicals out of a modern spider seat, welding it into my originals and recovering everything with new vinyl. Several rolls of NOS alfa vinyl came with the car...including basketweave patter, so I bet a good upholstery guy could do a nice job of it. And probobly cheaper than buying 2 new period race seats at $500 a pop.

The result would be original seats with headrests added in original material and alfa style. AND if I wanted to sell the car as original, it's visually reversable by recovering the seats and deleting the head rests.

Any thoughts?

Can anybody post a picture of bare seat frames from a 67 GTV and any bare spider seat frame with head rests?

Thanks,
RP

·
Registered
157 Posts
From one '67 GTV owner to another...

Ooooh yeah! That is a nice looking car!
Nice looking dash too. You don't see too many where the veneer hasn't cracked.

Someone tell me where I can get a set of seat belt buckles that look like that!

·
Registered
594 Posts
Prices?

Hey - very nice car. I love the earlier GT's - shopping for one right now. I don't suppose anyone would be kind enough to relate their experiences/opinions on the value of cars.

I'd be curious to know how much was paid for this one. I have a pretty good idea, but I'm considering investing in a resto project - what a GT-Veloce worth when it has great mechanicals but is going to need a paint job (and a bit of body work) in a year?

Braino

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hi Guys,

I've only been back in the alfa world since July of this year when I stumbled on to this car so I'm hoping you guys can look at these pictures and tell ME what it's worth.

I know how hard it is to restore a car, and how long it takes, so was expecting to pay a lot more for a car that does not need any serious metal work, AND I can drive immediately, AND was easily accessable...80 miles from our home.

What's it cost to replace panels in a car that has the usual rust?

Here are a few more pics:
Can anyone tell me if this is the correct radio? What is?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,681 Posts
The radio looks period correct. I'd leave it alone because it'd be hard to find a radio block off plate that matches the rest of the dash.

What's the original color of the car? Dark blue?

·
Super Moderator
10,159 Posts
I love that radio - the Becker Europa II. I just spent some $$ on ebay buying one for my 1970 BMW - and, I think it looks terrific in my car - old cars with modern radios just look weird (sort of like old cars with modern 12 digit reflective license plates, but that's another rant).

In fact, Centerline does sell a repro block-off plate for 105 coupes. I got one, and would rate it "OK".

Ricardino - no one can tell you what a car is worth just by looking at a few pictures over the Internet. Sorry, it just can't be done.

What does it cost to replace panels? Well, how good of a job do you want to have done? You could pop rivet pieces of roof flashing into the floors - or slather on fiberglass - for next to nothing. Or, you could pay a craftsman to install new metal, using European-sourced repair panels, and then apply a 100 pt paintjob. The difference in price between these two ends of the spectrum is probably about $10K.

Hope I haven't sounded uncooperative, or negative - but, there are no "quick answers" to your questions.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts