Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just received a '67 GTV from an Arkansa ABBer for a full restoration and most likely will have more than a few questions along the way. Should it bother you to help out someone who is in the restoration business because he should have all of the answers, I fully understand.

This shoud be under the Restoration Forum, but I'd like to have as many GTV owners opinions as possble.

I'll add that the majority of my restorations have been on Pinninfarina designed Spiders so working on a Bertone designed Alfa presents new and interesting challenges.

I'm a bit stuck right from the beginning, but would like to know if my plan has a better solution. The bolts for the body side of the door hinges can't be removed. They turn freely, but won't back out. I can only assume that Bertone used separate movable nut rivets. If corrrect, it s a shame dual one's weren't used or better, a single one for all four bolts.

I gather the solution is to drill out each bolt that can't be removed, cut out the door jam area from behind the hinges, fabricate a proper, movable single piece nut retainer and weld it in.

For now the doors can barely be opened because of both the hinges along with the forward - to the doors - body panel is bent in on both sides from having the doors forced up against it. The GTV has front end damage and I need to see if it has affected the door's shutlines.

Biba

Attachments

·
Registered
2,825 Posts
Biba, the captive nuts are not individual. I can't remember if they are all tied together, or if they are in pairs. But I know they are not supposed to be individual because I use a drift in one hole to align the plate when starting the bolt in another hole.

·
Premium Member
2,542 Posts
door hinges-

It's a steel plate with four threaded holes that should be accessible once you remove the kick panels and lay on the floor with the seat out and your head stuck way-up under the dash. There is a light formed cage that holds the plate in place but as pointed out -to start you need a tapered punch to hold the plate in alignment and hand start a couple of the bolts. Some idiot must have x-threaded them!

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Erik, that sounds promising, but several of the hinge bolts to the body just turn, but don't back out. I haven't tried all possibilities, such as prying the hinge from behind as I turn the bolt, but will now do so. I'm hoping if anything that the bolt's threads are stripped, but more likely it will be the plate's threads. If there's room I'll drill out the plate's and install stainless riv nuts.

Two terribly unlelated questions: The GTV came with these wide offset steel wheels which appear to be 5.5" or 6" x 14 inch wheel. They're factory as in there is no welding on the edge of the rims. Do you know what year/model they were on originally? Any value?

Is there a good replacement for the (cardboard) center section of the dash? I'm impressed by many of the details on the GTV, such as the thin one-piece stainless trim around the interior of teh doors going to the back. However, the material used on the dash, not so impressed.

Biba

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
11,221 Posts
.... several of the hinge bolts to the body just turn, but don't back out.
Just a long shot guess, but is it possible that sometime during this car's (hard) life, someone removed the door, lost the metric screws, and replaced them with 5/16 SAE hardware? Perhaps drilling out the threads in the captive plate, and installing individual 5/16 nuts behind? So, now those nuts are just turning. As Fred wrote, you can access the front side of the captive thread plate - reach in there, and see if you feel individual nuts.

Is there a good replacement for the (cardboard) center section of the dash? I'm impressed by many of the details on the GTV, such as the thin one-piece stainless trim around the interior of teh doors going to the back. However, the material used on the dash, not so impressed.
If the dash isn't too mangled, it can be reinforced by laminating the inside with fiberglass. If the dash isn't salvagable, I swear I've seen fiberglass repos available somewhere. However, nothing turned up in my search of the Alfaholics and Classic Alfa websites.

·
Registered
3,663 Posts
Biba,

as Fred stated there is an access hole behind the bracket welded to the chassis that the sides of the dash are attached to (not sure if the 67's have this, but the 69 GTV does....as in the first the photo below).

IMG_7443.jpg

Looking through this access hole you'll see a thick plate that's threaded for the hinge mounting screws.

IMG_7452.jpg

If the screws are rotating but not moving then yep, they're stripped because the plate can't rotate at all since it's captured. Drilling them out is probably the easiest route, you can easily heli-coil the threads afterwards.

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks. Not sure why I didn't check behind the easily accessible lower hinge. There were nuts on the bolts and no plate. I can only assume the chances of getting a mounting plate (don't know about the left side for now) is zip to nil. What is original, phillips or allen heads? There was a mixture of each but mostly phillips.

Rossano, thanks for the eBay dashboard URL.

Has anyone ever had the center section of the dash made out of (actual) wood? I gather it is supposed to look like wood if it's remotely original looking? There is a custom furniture shop next to mine. Pretty tricky though what with the concave surface.

Biba

·
Registered
133 Posts
I just restored the wood in my '69 GTV, including the centre console wood, which is real wood veneer on cardboard. The rest of the wood work is plywood. For the centre console piece, I ironed it flat under a steam iron (from the back). I then passed all the pirces through my thickness sander, firstly to remove the plastic coating, then to remove the old yellowed surface wood. I can't say exactly how much wood I removed, probably about a third of a millimeter. All was recoated in semi-gloss polyurethane. The photo shows the finished colour of this original wood. Before finishing, it was even redder than the colour you see in this photo. Either way, you aren't looking for the yellow colour that seems to be prevalent in old Alfas.

If you choose to make new wood trim, I wouldn't think it would be too hard. You can buy sheets of real wood veneer with a hot-melt adhesive, so all you have to do it to iron it on (to thin ply, or to cardboard, as the case dictates). Doing all the pieces from the same piece of veneer seems to be the only way to get a matching colour.

·
Registered
3,663 Posts
....I can only assume the chances of getting a mounting plate (don't know about the left side for now) is zip to nil. What is original, phillips or allen heads? There was a mixture of each but mostly phillips.

Rossano, thanks for the eBay dashboard URL.
Biba
Glad to help Biba. In the photo you can see that all the bolts are metric allen (they're all the same length as well). The lower plate is accessible and can be easily fabricated from thick sheet (light plate) steel. I can make a template of it if you need.......if don't have one on the opposite side that is.

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
cliffordh, this is the dash I'm referring to. It is apparently a version of soft particle board. It is badly cracked/pulled out around the radio. Not remotely real wood. Your dash is lovely. Great job.

Rossano, thanks for the offer. I'm pretty sure I can use the hinge itself as a guide to drill/tap the holes, as you suggested, using a thick piece of steel. I have it figured out how to hold it on and still allow the plate to move. The access is very helpful.

Biba

Attachments

·
Registered
816 Posts
wide wheels

Hi
Back to the wide wheel question; they're not actually factory. The are extra wide Borrani's, if I recall. They were sold by a company called H&H Specialites in Chelmsford, Mass, many years ago. They advertised in Autoweek and probably the Alfa Owner. Quite a lot of them were sold, so you occasionally find them of older cars. If dealers sold them, I don't think it was from a factory source. No specific models came with them.
BTW, that's a GTA steering wheel hub with 7 screw holes. Is the owner planning to use it? I'm looking for one for a GTA restoration, if he isn't going to use it. What wheel was on it? I'm also looking for the black leather wheel that was often used in place of the wooden one.
KG
Alfas Unlimited

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
KG, unfortunately the wheels don't fit inside the wells, but good to know where they came from.

The steering wheel is a wood rimmed Hellebore and will be going back on.

Rossano, I would like to take you up on your offer of a template for the lower hinge's backing plate. Are you by any chance set up to make a good solid reproduction of the rear plate? If so, I'd be happy to pay you for one (or perhaps two). I fairly frequently fabricate sheet metal parts, but I don't keep a supply of thicker metal around.

As mentioned I gather the hinges came with at least a couple of spacers behind the hinges. If correct, I'd love to have a template, or better yet, buy some.

I just took a short (20 minutes) look at the restoration of your '69 GTV thread and your craftmanship (and patience) is outstanding.

Biba

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Biba - it was not uncommon down here for wider steel wheels to be manufactured from standard items by removing rims from the centre and welding on wider ones. Not just on Alfa's but all cars.

Generally if that's been done you don't see anything much, if at all, to show that it's been done other than the width of the wheel. The rim to centre welds look and should be just as good as original.

We stopped people using them with competition tyres years ago following several incidents of the centres being pulled out.

·
Registered
3,663 Posts
...Rossano, I would like to take you up on your offer of a template for the lower hinge's backing plate....
Biba
Thanks for kind words, patience is definitely key when attempting to replicate these parts. It's a good thing this is just a hobby for me....I'd have starved years ago if I got paid only when the work was done.

Biba I was going to make a template and then a CAD drawing of it....only one problem though...I thought that plate was removable but as can be seen in this photo of the lower plate...it's captured by an upper and lower tab. It can't be removed without bending those out of the way. So, sorry but it looks like you'll have to fab one up from scratch. Does a 67 have the same design I wonder? If it did and the plates were removed for some inexplicable reason, you should see these tabs bent up out of the way....or cut off.

IMG_7456.jpg

1 - 15 of 15 Posts