Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need advice on the best way to repair the 50 yo plastic joints on my wiper joints under the deck lid between the hood and windshield. These old plastic bushings are now brittle or have been shattered. Not that many of us are driving in the rain anymore, but still good to have. My wiper motor is a 3 wire, '67 Super,(see photos) and I have close ups of the joints. Two arms that move the wipers with the rotating short arm at the motor. Three of the joints are 9.2 mm and the biggest single one is 13.0 mm round. I saw on a prior thread that since the wipers were made in Germany, that old Jetta/rabbit wiper arms will work, and I got some at a VW wrecker in Colma Calif and they are perfect, except they are made of a pretty hard compound and would not be able to get them in the holes

An option might be to cut off the ends (2") of both and weld on the Jetta bushing, also cut off the last 1" of the rotating motor arm and weld on 1" of the Jetta arm.

I spoke with John Norman at Alfa Parts in Berkeley and he also would like ideas since so many of us have this issue with these 50 yo cars.

Any ideas on how others fixed this or know about access to replacement arms anywhere in the world.

Clem
Wipers in place.jpeg
105 '67 Super wiper arm bushing 9.2mm.jpeg
VW Jetta wiper arm.jpeg
105 '67 Super wiper end linkage.jpeg
105 '67 Super wiper linkage .jpeg

Attachments

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Note: the second photo is from the Jetta assembly, potential cannibal - cut and weld onto my alfa arms

·
Registered
359 Posts
I know your question was for repair but when you decide to throw in the towel, I recommend this highly:

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Now a solid answer to how to fix the broken 50Y plastic joints on our alfa wipers. I spoke with John Norman at Alfa Parts a while ago, and he said he’d love to know a solution to this. Now I think we have one. Although we all don’t drive in the rain often, it might come up and nice to know everything will work correctly. I finally got mine back in and turned on the switch and everything worked as it should. Amazing. No longer sweating potential solutions with cutting/welding, VW wreckers and moving far away from original.
HOW TO:
In the end, there are 4 bushings, two on the center arm that swings in a circle and two at the end that swing back and forth. The center arm has one big inner 16 mm and smaller outer component, see photos. All the smalls are the same size at 12 mm.
You need to buy from eBay the Gen 1 RX-7 bushings that are prob made from a 3D printer. A fellow AlfaBB contributor racerx9146 Daron gets full credit for finding this solution (thank you Daron from AlfaBB world!), these bushings come packaged with two bigs and two smalls, so buy two sets. They were $38 total and arrived in a long week. But they worked perfectly for my ’67 Super and you have an answer for your trusty Alfa

Ebay title: NEW!!!! 86-92 Mazda FC RX-7 Windshield Wiper Bushings TPU Version

NEW!!!! 86-92 Mazda FC RX-7 Windshield Wiper Bushings TPU Version | eBay

Pull your wiper out, being careful to remove the upper body panel (think blue tape). Mark the gutter exactly where you wiper fits if the holes on the wiper frame is not the same as the bolts. If the plastic bushings are fine at the ends (as one of mine was-I just left it), you can consider leaving it. But break out the broken ones. Start with replacing the arm ends at the center. You’ll need to replace the big one first as it’s inside. Using a screwdriver pry the flexible bushing into place. Put the bushing into the ends of the arm first with the ‘big side’ of the bushing facing downwards (will eventually face towards the wiper motor and the wiper assembly). I applied a little lubrication on the face of the bushing and pushed it onto the motor with a small socket and a C Clamp and it popper right on! I then did the same thing with a smaller outer arm end at the swinging end. Again do the other arm now, putting the bushing into the arm first, large flange on the bushing facing downwards and pushed it on also the small circular drive on the spinning wiper arm with the socket and c-clamp again, then go to the outer arms and do the same. Importantly I found the bushings to be a little thick in the middle spinning arm and I slightly narrowed it sanding it with the side of a grinder wheel, just a smidge so the bushings could fit without being compressed and the E clip fit comfortably on the end. I sourced the 9 mm E Clips at Zoro in Buffalo Grove Illinois, PART #: 5DV25 Good luck all, glad this pesky problem is solved for many of us. Be careful putting the body panel in at the end-more blue tape including the hood! It’s not so easy getting the panel under the rubber window seal. Consider a dry fit first with the panel as close as possible to see if you need to move the wiper frame a little. Make sure the posts come out in the middle of the panel holes. I pushed the panel in carefully after blue taping the edges and the holes, and starting on one end, I pushed it down nearly flat I used plastic trim tools from Harbor Freight as I guided the rubber trim over the top of the panel carefully. In the end I was able to carefully push the panel up with a plastic tool up under the windshield rubber, by pushing off the hood, be careful (and lucky),
Best, Clem

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts