Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
67 Giulia Sprint GT Veloce on BAT. Project car that looks very complete with lots of rust. Not Mine.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Bring a tetnus shot. I was interested if it was cheap enough but since is 1100 miles away and is no longer an impulse purchase, I'll pass. The rust is extensive.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
I have the impression that it has been months since we saw a project at a "decent" price. Maybe a 3000 $ is the right price for the rusty bucket.

·
Registered
775 Posts
Reality and 'rithmatic have parted ways
As mentioned before on another post in ALFABB, the prices of rusted out 101 or 102 bodies reflects the entry level price to the 101/102 market which was at 20-25k I think. Same applies here for the 105/115 market. If you have the storage spot, putting one of these GT Veloces away could be closest you would get to owning a car if you are not prepared to fork out 70k at the current going rate for a good one today, by next year it could come down to 60k if the market is flooded, but then again it could go up to 100k or 150k! The reality is the actual number of cars left of the different models shows there is about 710 cars on the Classic Alfa 105/115 register.
http://www.classicalfaromeoregistry.com/type-105-giulias/gt

·
Registered
775 Posts
@Steve105

At the risk of appearing self serving, I believe the Step Fronts will be another market independent of the Smooth nose cars..
I have both types, so at the risk of appearing self serving as well.
I think the market is still trying to decide what it wants. I know for sure of some one pouring 100k into a 1300 GTj stepfront to produce a GTA-R (not me)
For the Stepnose cars there are only about 60 LHD GT Veloce cars 30 RHD GTVeloce plus 53 GT Sprints LHD and 13 GT Sprints RHD a total of 156 cars! plus about 40 1300 GTj step fronts.

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
I have both types, so at the risk of appearing self serving as well.

I think the market is still trying to decide what it wants. I know for sure of some one pouring 100k into a 1300 GTj stepfront to produce a GTA-R (not me)
For the Stepnose cars there are only about 60 LHD GT Veloce cars 30 RHD GTVeloce plus 53 GT Sprints LHD and 13 GT Sprints RHD a total of 156 cars! plus about 40 1300 GTj step fronts.
I honestly had no Idea, I have (color change) AR601571 otherwise unmolested..Zero plans to ever sell..

·
Registered
775 Posts
The 1300 GTj Step fronts have tended to get re purposed/consumed over the last few years with the GTA-R type makeover (current market forces). It think in the future we will also see other cars like the GT Veloces and Sprints surrendering to market forces having serious makeovers?
I rechecked numbers.
For the Stepnose cars there are only about 61 LHD GT Veloce cars 34 RHD GT Veloce plus 53 GT Sprints LHD and 13 GT Sprints RHD a total of 161 cars! plus about 41 1300 GTj step fronts. A total of 202 cars.

·
Registered
556 Posts
A quick look at that registry showed about 5-10% of the 105 coupes that we have listed on AROC New Zealand registry which doesn't include every car in NZ , although that would include a number of race cars and projects.

·
Registered
775 Posts
A quick look at that registry showed about 5-10% of the 105 coupes that we have listed on AROC New Zealand registry which doesn't include every car in NZ , although that would include a number of race cars and projects.
So how many extra do we need to add for NZ 20?
Australia? 80
USA? 280
UK 100
Europe 100
Asia 50
Others 100
So somewhere between 900 to 1000, Gt Sprints + GT Veloce + flat top dash GTj 1300.
So here some rough guesses
The GT Sprints 300 left out of 21,850 = survival rate of 1.37%
The GT Veloce 150 out of 12,499 = 1.2%
GTj 1300 (flat top upto to year 1968) 450 out of 27464 = 1.63%
Source of build numbers page 15 from the book Giulia Coupe by Chris Savill,

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
So how many extra do we need to add for NZ 20?
Australia? 80
USA? 280
UK 100
Europe 100
Asia 50
Others 100
So somewhere between 900 to 1000, Gt Sprints + GT Veloce + flat top dash GTj 1300.
So here some rough guesses
The GT Sprints 300 left out of 21,850 = survival rate of 1.37%
The GT Veloce 150 out of 12,499 = 1.2%
GTj 1300 (flat top upto to year 1968) 450 out of 27464 = 1.63%
Source of build numbers page 15 from the book Giulia Coupe by Chris Savill,
With all due respect Steve I think we’ll find a lot more survivors than that. Yes many rusted away early on but just look at BAT, they regularly come up for sale. I suspect there’s also still many tucked away in people’s sheds that haven’t been seen for years.

·
Registered
775 Posts
I am just posing the question how many?
Sure, not every one is in a club or registered their car/cars.
Could be more not sure about the allot more!
Allot of cars pre 1970's in Australia were sent to scrap metal merchants when steel was a sought after commodity sold to other countries..
Overseas in USA and Europe there was the cleaner car and smog regulations that removed cars off the road some were recycled. In Europe the sought after motor bikes and cars were quickly extracted from countries that had them in fields/barns.
The term 'survivor' I think now days means a car you need to spend about 60 to 80k to get it on the road including the one in question in this post.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Looking at old NZ AROC membership we have 110 GT's in New Zealand , I personally know quite a few owners who are not members of AROC and presumably there cars are not in this number.

·
Registered
556 Posts
I live in Hawkes Bay NZ, population about 120,00 its an average sort of area , not an Alfa stronghold by any means , I personally know of 7 nice cars and a couple of projects nearing completion. There seem to be new cars coming to NZ out of South Africa every week, I think quite a lot have survived and certainly a lot are being rebuilt.

·
Registered
775 Posts
In Adelaide, South Australia, I know of / seen pictures of about 16 cars currently

8 Veloces one is a LHD came in from US another came in from VIC
3 Sprints one is a track car
5 GTJ upto 68 one is a track car

Cars I know that have being destroyed
1 Veloce

Over the years cars that have move out of South Australia to other states
3 Veloces
2 Sprints one was a track car
1 GTJ 1968

There may be others? I will ask our Membership sec if they can do an overview if it is in their powers.

So as you can see 30% of cars I know about have left South Australia. I have heard of 'car scouts' people doing the rounds looking for leads for cars around Australia for clients O/S.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts