Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:frown2:

Hi,

Today in my 67 GT Sprint Veloce as i accelerated the gearbox seemed to jam and lock the wheels up ( going about 30kmh..) if i selected a gear and let the clutch out the engine stalled if i selected neutral and let the clutch out the car moved forward so i stopped and got it towed home.

FYI; The syncro in 2nd and 3rd were not great BUT not that bad either it was drivable with no crunch if you were gentle..

Now the box is on my work bench.. in Neutral the input and output shaft turns together..

In any gear the input and output shaft are jammed wont turn...

Before i strip it down any guidance on what i should be looking at to be wrong would be appreciated. Any ideas?

thanks,

Jon.

·
Registered
938 Posts
sounds like the bearing between the input and output shaft has seized.

cheers ian

·
Richard Jemison
7,781 Posts
Gear oroblem

could be that one of the shift forks loosened and has slid out of position, locking into one gear.
Exactly, either came loose or sheared.
The little roller bearing between the input & mainshaft does not have the necessary material strength to lock up the shaft.

If it has been apart, however, the lock out balls and sphere between the shift rods could have been improperly installed or one lost. Remove the shifter mechanisms, cover, and see if all three forks are in neutral. if they are, and the trans is still in gear the 6mm bolt locking the shift fork to the rod is missing /broke allowing the fork to leave a gear engaged

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi all, after investigation and now re-build the problem was second gear had seized on the shaft i have no idea why it would after being in service a long time but it had well and truly jammed on the shaft.. so i have had the clearance re-machined correctly now and used a spare main shaft as i suspect this was slightly off too.

Another question should all the gear be mm perfectly in line with the opposing lay shaft gears? 1&2 are not 100% in line 1mm out or so.. see photo.. is this acceptable? ( forget 5th that is in the machine shop being machined for roller bearings)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
22,409 Posts
In 1980 I ran my Super's gearbox low on oil, it was the second gear bushing that suffered the most, had to be changed.
Andrew

1 - 7 of 7 Posts