Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
1967 Alfa Romeo Duetto Vintage race car. AR 664681
I am selling this race car for the wife of a friend who passed recently.
John Barnes purchased this car from Don Zurliene in K.C. in late 2004
It has a Mike Besic built 1750 with Carrillo rods, 45 MM webers.Tilton flywheel/Porsche clutch. MarelliPlex ignition. Standard 5 speed.
2l LSD rear end.Orion front and rear sway bars. New Koni shocks. Adjustable upper A arms. Ate brakes. Slotted, drilled rotors. Converted to swing pedals.
14x7 Panasports with new Hoosier tires. Fuel cell. Halon fire system. Accusump. Updated roll cage in 2005 Most of the suspension work done in 2005. Aeroquip fuel and oil lines.Fiberglass hood and trunk lids. Steel hood and trunk lid included. Needs flares removed for most vintage groups.
SCCA log book #20-392 Midwest Council Log book from 81-82
Last raced in 1987. In storage now in Denver,CO. $12,500
Contact Karen at [email protected] if interested. Thanks.

Attachments

·
Registered
158 Posts
That's a neat car. Sorry about the circumstances of the sale. I'm guessing this was used as an open-lapping car then, since it was not raced since 1987. Is that a fair assumption? Is it street-drivable? I guess I'm asking if this could be registered for use on the street (so it could be driven to a track day)?

·
Registered
837 Posts
Nice looking roll cage! I especially like what was done below the belt line and behind the seat; something I want to do for my street Spider!

·
Premium Member
1,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
A little more info.
This car probably was bulit originally by Richard Jemison. Well know here. Not sure what year. At some time it was yellow.
Engine has Venolia race pistons and Shankle race( 5413) cams. Oversize valves.Nitrided crank. Block drilled for direct oil to #2 and #4 mains.

Attachments

·
Richard Jemison
7,925 Posts
Old Race car

This car, was my daily driver in the late `60s, and in 1969 after graduating from USM, I built an EP car from it and raced it in the So.West Division, and So.E Division SCCA until 1974. It was raced with a 1600, with many parts acquired from Joe Loccario, a GTA/Alfa DP racer at the time, and Alfa dealer in Houston.
I had installed an limited slip sourced from Alfa, (for the small 1600 differential), using a 5.12 unit from a Super., which seems to be replaced by std 2 L rear dif.

There are some early pics of the car and more comments at the BB thread below. Back around the turn of the century, I had Peter Hylton, the SCCA archivist, do a search of records for the car`s history (from my use), and some but not all was found, as this was all BC (before computer).

I have an interest in acquiring the car, but not a profound one, as I`m cleaning out the shop and consentrating on the GTR, and Spider"coupe" project (Alfaghia).

See more at:
http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/motorsports/146464-old-alfa-racer-pics-so-west-div.html

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
This car, was my daily driver in the late `60s, and in 1968 after graduating from USM, I built an EP car from it and raced it in the So.West Division, and So.E Division SCCA until 1974. It was raced with a 1600, with many parts acquired from Joe Loccario, a GTA/Alfa DP racer at the time, and Alfa dealer in Houston.
I had installed an limited slip sourced from Alfa, (for the small 1600 differential), using a 5.12 unit from a Super., which seems to be replaced by std 2 L rear dif.

There are some early pics of the car and more comments at the BB thread below. Back around the turn of the century, I had Peter Hylton, the SCCA archivist, do a search of records for the car`s history (from my use), and some but not all was found, as this was all BC (before computer).

I have an interest in acquiring the car, but not a profound one, as I`m cleaning out the shop and consentrating on the GTR, and Spider"coupe" project (Alfaghia).

See more at:
http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/motorsports/146464-old-alfa-racer-pics-so-west-div.html
RJ,
Do you know when the flairs were added?

Thanks!

·
Registered
6,087 Posts
I have an interest in acquiring the car, but not a profound one, as I ...
SOLD to Richard. Where it rightfully belongs!
:D Made my AlfaBB day to read the first statement, and then the outcome less than 2 hours later!

Congrats Richard and Karen!

Best regards,

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
:D Made my AlfaBB day to read the first statement, and then the outcome less than 2 hours later!

Congrats Richard and Karen!

Best regards,
Ditto to what Enrique said!!!!:D:cool:

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
Nice pictures!
Nice backgrounds!!!:D

·
Super Moderator
12,239 Posts
Did RJ give you any grief Karen? Did you advise him I told you to never take him seriously?

·
Richard Jemison
7,925 Posts
`67 Duetto home again!

:pThe trip home, and in fact both ways, was a good road trip. However I did manage to blow two tires, which caused an extra night`s stay only 48 miles from home. I have learned a lesson again by buying trailer tires that were not Goodyear`s. Never again!

The pics below are 40 years, and 60 pounds, apart! The car is far more than I ever anticipated. When we picked it up I didn`t bother removing the hood to see the engine.

The car is far nicer than when raced, or as I bought it in `68. I would almost classify it as over-restored for a vintage racer, but what do I know.... New everything...........

Here`s a pic from `71 and some from today when a friend insisted I look at the engine etc..

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
12,239 Posts
Odd how we get older and more worn out, but the cars of our misspent youth, not only survive, but if they were any good, seem to get better with age. When these things were new, they had an expected service life of four or five years, yet the old racers that have survived are usually real nice!
By the way, I knew Karen would give you a good deal!

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
cool----looks like the front ground scoop is gone now--should it return???

1 - 20 of 36 Posts