Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car is a 67 spider that has had the turn signal and headlight switch assembly replaced with a reproduction unit by the PO. The switch seemed to work properly but would not cancel the turn signals. I found that the cancellation spring was wrapped incorrectly and re-wrapped it correctly. After reassembly the signals cancel in one direction and not the other. I found a few small bits of black plastic and a very small coil spring on the floor. I believe these parts came from the switch assembly. The spring was dropped while showing it to a friend....and cant be found.

The current situation is that all the lights and turn signals work, but require manual cancellation in one direction. The turn signal stalk does not center to the proper position in one direction but it works. I would like to make this work properly if possible. I wanted to ask the forum if I should try to find a good, working original switch assembly as I have heard they were better made...but are over 50 years old, or buy another reproduction switch and be careful to install it correctly.

If anyone can help me identify the correct original signal switch I would appreciate it as I think there are several different ones. I would like to keep the car original if possible but if there are other "original" switches from different cars or years that also work, I would appreciate opinions/thoughts on using them perhaps.

Thank you in advance

·
Registered
333 Posts
There is a peg that goes through the spring and sits in the cup in the turn signal, then into the headlight portion of the switch assembly. If it has come out then the peg must be broken. I could not find a good way to repair mine but it might be possible.

My understanding is that the switch is the same for any two headlight 105 Weber or Spica car.

Attachments

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Did you end up using one of the aftermarket turn signal/headlight switches or did you find an original? Appreciate people’s opinions on how the aftermarket ones hold up in general as mine was a new aftermarket one and now has an issue. Since the PO had not it installed completely correctly I’m not sure it was the parts fault.

Also would appreciate a PM from anyone who might have an original to sell.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have not pulled off the wheel yet. I didn't need to pull the wheel to get the spring wrapped/routed correctly, but will to fix the witch issue. I think I have a wheel puller with the correct threads and that is my next step. I was thinking I would try to find a new turn signal mechanism and do the "out with the old and in with the new" at the same time. I am certain the parts I found are from the switch somewhere and since the spring is now gone, I think it will be difficult to get mine to work correctly. All lights and signal work, but the stalk just doesn't feel right when using the left turn signal. I drive the car several times a week and don't want it out of commission for an extended period if possible. I can pull the wheel and see exactly what is going on, and put it back together while I wait for parts. Ill plan to spend some time looking deeper into it this week.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Did you end up using one of the aftermarket turn signal/headlight switches or did you find an original? Appreciate people’s opinions on how the aftermarket ones hold up in general as mine was a new aftermarket one and now has an issue. Since the PO had not it installed completely correctly I’m not sure it was the parts fault.

Also would appreciate a PM from anyone who might have an original to sell.
Sorry for delay. I just realized I am not getting notifications from this site anymore. Anyway, I was able to find an original switch. The stalks are badly pitted but it's functional so good enough for now.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts